Author Topic: AI Traffic  (Read 5652 times)

M-Sauce

AI Traffic
« on: October 01, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »
I noticed that in the Hawaiian sceneries you need to disable "aircraft casts shadows" in order to see the AI (mostly FS9 models). The response is that this is an FSX limitation in displaying FS9 models with custom ground textures. Yet in KORD and other airports by FSDT AI shows up with shadows without a problem. If it is possible in your other airports, can this not also be applied to all of them?

This leads me to the reason why I posted in the LAX thread, do I need to disable aircraft shadows in LAX to see the AI traffic as well?

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: AI Traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »
The response is that this is an FSX limitation in displaying FS9 models with custom ground textures.

Which is of course the correct explanation: if the airport uses certain FS9 commands that are needed to create a *fully* custom runway, FS9 AI models will not display with Airplane Shadows off.

Yet in KORD and other airports by FSDT AI shows up with shadows without a problem. If it is possible in your other airports, can this not also be applied to all of them?

Because, not all airports use *fully* custom runways, some are using a hybrid default/custom method that is compatible with FS9 AI models

This leads me to the reason why I posted in the LAX thread, do I need to disable aircraft shadows in LAX to see the AI traffic as well?

I don't really know for sure:

using FS9 AI models in FSX is just wrong, so we don't test at all that configuration. At KLAX we took all the care possible to eliminate all the slow FS9 code, which is why it works so well considering its size and its complexity (way higher than KORD or JFK), if you are putting FS9 code back in by the means of AI, you are wasting all the advantages of KLAX being 100% native FSX.

In any case, that's what Trial versions are for: if you want to try a specific configuration before purchasing, you can.

krwynn

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 07:44:18 pm »
Just as an FYI to everyone using Ultimate Traffic 2. I didn't realize this until I read this topic, seems there are quite a few, including United Airlines that will not show up if shadows are on. That may only be the case with my setup, but it might help others if they start to notice the AI traffic is lower and are using Ultimate Traffic 2.

Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

johndrago

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »
Just as an FYI to everyone using Ultimate Traffic 2. I didn't realize this until I read this topic, seems there are quite a few, including United Airlines that will not show up if shadows are on. That may only be the case with my setup, but it might help others if they start to notice the AI traffic is lower and are using Ultimate Traffic 2.

UT2 doesn't use FS9 models by default unless you've customized it.  I've used it at all the FSDT Hawaiian airports, and KLAX, and see the traffice and shadows fine.

- John

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »
UT2 doesn't use FS9 models by default unless you've customized it.  I've used it at all the FSDT Hawaiian airports, and KLAX, and see the traffice and shadows fine.

- John

Correct!!

I actually ran all the UT2 models thru a model checker once to double check this and out of all the models there was only one FS9 model included in the package.