Author Topic: Spec Effects  (Read 6410 times)

jonmurchison

Spec Effects
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:31:27 am »
Gudday, another excellent scenery package guys, well done!

One question I have is with the Specular effects. What I'm referring to is reflection on the terminal building windows etc, I see you have included these in the textures but I'm not seeing them appear in the scenery as I would expect. I cross checked with Zurich to make sure it wasnt me, and they are definately present there. Any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Spec Effects
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:46:21 am »
I guess it's just the effect being subtler. Zurich had lots of glass materials, we decided to tone it a little bit down on OHare, to make the two version ( FSX and FS9 ) more similar. Try to play with viewing angles and different time of the day, the specular reflections might be more apparent depending on the light angle.

jonmurchison

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »
Ok, thanks for that, I'll take a look.

An observation and feedback. What I found so great with Zurich was it really shows off what FSX can do, and in my view set a new benchmark in FSX scenery that quite frankly crapped all over everything else currently available. To be honest I find you guys wanting to make O'Hare look more like the FS9 version to be disappointing given the very high standard you set with Zurich.

As a consumer I'm looking for scenery that looks like it belongs in FSX, and I would have thought O'Hare offers plenty of scope to do this given the glass frontages on all the terminals etc. If the FSX version doesn't differentiate and really show the power and visual gains made possible in X, why would people bother upgrading to X?

I certainly respect the work you guys are doing so this isnt a criticism, just my view of the FSX world for whatever its worth. Keep up the great work.

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:21:18 pm »
Ok, thanks for that, I'll take a look.

An observation and feedback. What I found so great with Zurich was it really shows off what FSX can do, and in my view set a new benchmark in FSX scenery that quite frankly crapped all over everything else currently available. To be honest I find you guys wanting to make O'Hare look more like the FS9 version to be disappointing given the very high standard you set with Zurich.

As a consumer I'm looking for scenery that looks like it belongs in FSX, and I would have thought O'Hare offers plenty of scope to do this given the glass frontages on all the terminals etc. If the FSX version doesn't differentiate and really show the power and visual gains made possible in X, why would people bother upgrading to X?

I certainly respect the work you guys are doing so this isnt a criticism, just my view of the FSX world for whatever its worth. Keep up the great work.

ChicagoX has a long life, there are scheduled many updates to match with real airport change, the goal on chicago is the FPS specialy on FSX version, for this, the use of specular and bump texture is used with caution, on future upgrade (and hardware pc evolution) this aspect will be upgraded.

Regards.

jonmurchison

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »
Excellent!