Author Topic: NEW AFCAD PACKAGE FOR KORD  (Read 181868 times)

harpsi

• Beta tester
Re: NEW AFCAD PACKAGE FOR KORD
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:44 am »
Hi Harpsi

I have been following this thread with interest. I only have one observation at this time and that is after downloading the standard "W" afcad with full length departures from 32L amongst others, the aircraft are in fact still departing from T10. It's just me but I would like to see my AI going from full length. Any thoughts or help please. I would also like to offer my sincere thanks for a superb looking KORD and all your hard work resolving issues. You must have the patience of a saint dealing with us lot!

best regards

rooster

There is one problem. If you want full lenght, then all traffic will go to this runway and crosswind system makes no sense. Why? Aircrafts prefer: the longest runway and the closest runway to the terminal. So, 32 L will win this battle between all the others. I think plan W with non-shortened runways works like you want. :)

harpsi

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2008, 08:33:03 am »
Harpsi, getting back on topic I decided to go back to your latest 'Plan' W afcad only to find once again American Airlines parking everywhere but at their terminal.  You fixed the issue where they were parking at the FedEx ramp closest to runway 10 but there's still a huge problem with them parking everywhere but the AA terminal (I'm talking they are parking at the International terminal, United Terminal, and east cargo area).  There must be a serious issue with American Airlines and Afcad in FS9.  :( 

There are let´s say 2 types of American Airlines: the American ones and the Eagle ones. Try to add the code EGF to the embraer 145 from American Eagle to see what happens, and tell me your result.

harpsi

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36:06 am »
If you would just take a moment and listen to some of the stuff I say, instead of going on the offense, contradicting yourself, making false statements and posting threads full of this nonsense (more than anything, this is confusing the hell out of the customers...)

I have to clarify one thing that probably has gone missing:

Harpsi is NOT part of FSDreamTeam!

He's a passionate user, just like you are, that does all of this entirely for free (except that, being a tester, he's got a free copy of KORD), and we thank him for the work he does, because surely there are users who appreciate it.

His AFCAD are available here as an added value to our sceneries, they aren't really part of the product itself.

Once we'll consider his work more or less stable, we'll might add some missing bits to make them more consistent with the supplied one and we'll use some of his bugs corrections and stands/airline assignments to include in our "official" AFCAD

So please, let's keep the discussion as friendly as possible, and don't forget you are talking to another user like you are.

I apologize for this, since it should have been clarified earlier.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:25:19 am by virtuali »

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:01 am »

He's a passionate user, just like you are, that does all of this entirely for free (except that, being a tester, he's got a free copy of KORD), and we thank him for the work he does, because surely there are users who appreciate it.

His AFCAD are available here as an added value to our sceneries, they aren't really part of the product itself.

Once we'll consider his work more or less stable, we'll might add some missing bits to make them more consistent with the supplied one and we'll use some of his bugs corrections and stands/airline assignments to include in our "official" AFCAD

So please, let's keep the discussion as friendly as possible, and don't forget you are talking to another user like you are.

Umberto is absolutely correct. Cloud 9 for example, decided to add my packages like they were built by me. FsDreamteam did the same to Zürich and one only afcad was needed. For KORD, the can do the same or maybe not because it is more difficult to simulate reality with just one file. In any case, my work stays for everybody who wants to use it.

harpsi

Mike...

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2008, 01:14:32 pm »
I don´t use FS ATC, sorry. I hate it. What I know is that I am placed on the ground and I am seeing all the aircrafts descending like a beautiful indian queue for all runways in use for landing, when there is a lot of traffic of course.

Just like you said earlier, that there are people who want realism and there are people who want simulism, that there are people who use EGF and there are people who use AALX, there are people who don't use FS ATC and there are people that do... The people that do, will notice something's not right. Now, have you even listened to ATIS? Don't look at the traffic landing, listen to ATIS... Oy vey!

The Afcad that came wih the scenery has a few issues. So naturally, people are gonna focus on it. And who is working on Afcads? Harpsi. So inevitably he gets put in the spotlight and he will be associated with FSDreamTeam. Whether or not he's technically part of the team, makes little difference at the end of the day.

Seems like I can accomplish little more here, I only hope some things are remembered when the Afcad for the next scenery has to made.

:)

Dillon

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2008, 02:33:27 pm »
If you would just take a moment and listen to some of the stuff I say, instead of going on the offense, contradicting yourself, making false statements and posting threads full of this nonsense (more than anything, this is confusing the hell out of the customers...)

Well this surely changes things.  Harpsi I more than before would like to thank you for your effort.  FSDReamteam if your using any aspect of Harpsi work in your release version of the product he should be getting paid.  Every copy that has some remnant of Harpsi's work he should get financial credit for.  Harpsi your putting so much time into this it is your just due.  Again thank you for your effort as I truly don't know what many of us would do without the fine job your doing...  :)

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »
Just like you said earlier, that there are people who want realism and there are people who want simulism, that there are people who use EGF and there are people who use AALX, there are people who don't use FS ATC and there are people that do... The people that do, will notice something's not right. Now, have you even listened to ATIS? Don't look at the traffic landing, listen to ATIS... Oy vey!

Like I said, the answer is no. But I will test your option from yesterday as well and for the second time, because of the landings on runway 10/28 and after that we will talk. About AALX and EGF you just see that I use both codes in parking spots, for the ones who want EGF and for the others who want AALX.

The Afcad that came with the scenery has a few issues. So naturally, people are gonna focus on it. And who is working on Afcads? Harpsi. So inevitably he gets put in the spotlight and he will be associated with FSDreamTeam. Whether or not he's technically part of the team, makes little difference at the end of the day.

Seems like I can accomplish little more here, I only hope some things are remembered when the Afcad for the next scenery has to made.

versus

Well this surely changes things.  Harpsi I more than before would like to thank you for your effort.  FSDReamteam if your using any aspect of Harpsi work in your release version of the product he should be getting paid.  Every copy that has some remnant of Harpsi's work he should get financial credit for.  Harpsi your putting so much time into this it is your just due.  Again thank you for your effort as I truly don't know what many of us would do without the fine job your doing...   

Well, fortunately or not, we have to opposite opinions on these posts. Mike for sure would like the substitution of mr. harpsi, maybe by him or by another one. Dillon thinks that mr. harpsi puts so much effort on this work that he even must be paid for that work.

Well, my opinion is the following: I don´t want to get paid for this work or even any future work, as far as I get just the scenery for free and I can help in everything like beta testing, afcads and so on. I make this with pleasure, for all you, so you can ask all plans for KORD, you can ask all questions to me. I will have all the patience to you, even to answer sometimes in 5 minutes or less. However I think beside some details about comm frequencies or ils which are missing, there is no doubt about the quality of the work from the two guys which made KORD afcad files for the community.

Just one note about realism concerning runway usage. If you have on real life one runway X or Y, for example 03/21 where 03 is only for take off and 21 is only for landing and you have more than one or two runways, it is likely OBVIOUS that one simple afcad will never solve the problem of having real life procedures, except if is so obvious that 03 has no ILS and it is closed to the aprons and 21 is too far comparing with other runways from the scenery and has an ILS for landing.

It is like Amsterdam where, to make it simple and without exceptions, runways rotate like a clock where one side is always for landing and the other side only for takeoff.

What I was doing at KORD to distribute traffic and the same ammount of it to all runways was this: suppose that you have file X where 32 L, 04 L, 09 R and 32 R are for take off. 32 R is only used in peak hours so the "secret" will be don´t touch this runway or delete some feet of it; 32 L is the longes and closest one so all traffic will go there. We don´t want it and we don´t want long queues at T 10. So, let´s take 2000 feet out and see what happens to the traffic. After the first 45 minutes where I have a paper and I am writing all the Take offs from all runways, I see that 32 L has still 80 or 90 % of the traffic because it is the longest and closest one to the aprons. Ok, Let´s take more 2000 feet out and now just 60 % of tha traffic goes there. Well, now I stop because maybe in real life it would more or less like that. But then you see that there is more traffic to 32 R instead of 04 L and 09 R. OK, let´s take 1000 feet out of 32 R for example. And voilá, in the end the traffic is better organized to all runways, something like: 50 % for 32 L, 25 % for 04 L, 20 % for 09 R and just 5 % or less to 32 R since it is just used on peak hours. This is an example in one file and only for runway configuration. For the other files it is the same. So, as you can see, it is a lot of work but you can see the result while you are flying.

A very patient but passionate work as you see, without rewards needed. :) ;D

Just more one word for the user ESzczesniak. You wrote in this thread below that to switch afcads is time consuming and you will not use that system, but it is strange that you were the one which asked for plan A when it was not done yet. :( See below:

>>>>>
Beyond that, the work that Harpsi has done is great, but for me will likely not be used because of the cumbersome process of switching AFCADS. 

harpsi

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 04:06:58 pm by harpsi »

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2008, 04:48:07 pm »
Wow, that is alot of AFCADS!  Nice work Harpsi, but I have to ask a simple question. Say a guy like me who uses real world weather, 100% AI and does not care about "realistic runway use" but would like to land (or take off) with out an AI plan crossing my runway.

What AFCAD would be best for me?

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2008, 05:28:21 pm »
Wow, that is alot of AFCADS!  Nice work Harpsi, but I have to ask a simple question. Say a guy like me who uses real world weather, 100% AI and does not care about "realistic runway use" but would like to land (or take off) with out an AI plan crossing my runway.

What AFCAD would be best for me?

Well, let´s analyse this question. Real world weather I also use, 100 % AI as well. Now, the non-realistic runway use problem. For this you can use X or W files. You can do one thing more or I can do it for you: take the V out from the closed runways and you have all of them opened. But avoiding traffic that´s something you can´t control. Or let´s say for example that you want to take off from 04 L. You hope that winds are for example 040/05. But suppose that you have winds 220/05. Maybe you will expect that aircrafts are taking off from 22s. But then you choose 22s as well. There are just some points where you can get traffic confusion fogetting better runway usage: one near the entrance of runway 32 R, another big area near 04 L and 09 R and the confluence between 32 L and 10. I don´t know if I understood your question or if I answered it as well. Maybe you have to explain yourself mwith an example, so that I can make a better explanation for you.

harpsi

Danthepilot

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2008, 05:45:25 pm »
hey harpsi, this is kinda off subjet about the AFCAD, but i saw in a screenshot of your traffic tool that you have the callsign "acey" for Atlantic southeast, did u find that somewhere? and i have another question, my FS says "line up and wait" is there any way to change it to "Position and hold"?

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »
Another thing and just as an example, maybe a thought. It is almost known that FsDreamteam has more sceneries coming. After kappa posted a picture with Manhattan island, everybody thought: it is JFK finally!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;

Ok, suppose that it is JFK indeed. I already looked at it. I dont´t know which ends are opened for take off or landing, but thinking that there is an ILS on both sides of all runways, all of them can be used for all types of operations. It means that it will be not the big confusion of KORD. But still, you need more afcads, but just two. One of them would have the possibility to use 4s in combination with 13s and on the opposite side, 22s in combination with 31s, and another one, in which you use 4s in combination with 31s and 22s in combination with 13s. No file for 4s + 22s together obviously! Except for the fact that you have one runway opened for TO in one end and for LDG on the other end, this one is easy to do with 2 files just and you can just make an option from one of the too. The tailwind you get if you choose the "wrong" one is not more than 45 degrees probably.

harpsi
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:16:36 pm by harpsi »

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2008, 06:14:48 pm »
hey harpsi, this is kinda off subjet about the AFCAD, but i saw in a screenshot of your traffic tool that you have the callsign "acey" for Atlantic southeast, did u find that somewhere? and i have another question, my FS says "line up and wait" is there any way to change it to "Position and hold"?

First question: I just wrote in the aircraft.cfg what was in the package for atlantic southeast. I didn´t modify anything.
Second question: Sorry, I don´t see those messages on my FS so it is difficult to answer you.

harpsi

Mike...

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2008, 06:28:48 pm »
Mike for sure would like the substitution of mr. harpsi, maybe by him or by another one.

No, I want you to be willing to learn and not discard any and all commentary with the same rhetoric. In your latest post you again start about how certain setups can never be accomplished in one Afcad. I never disagreed with you on that one nor is that the point of this entire discussion. There is no right or wrong approach. Only different approaches that work differently for different people.

But... there are some mechanisms and aspects that, even thought you may not be confronted with them on your personal setup, are fundamental to the sim. Such as the runway names, which are embedded in the Afcad, and the approaches for those runways, which are embedded in the stock Afcad. If you change the names, the approach code must be changed as well. If not, the link between renamed runways and their approach code will be broken. Another example, the empty Ident fields of the runway properties. The Ident field directly controls what the GPS receiver displays for that particular runway end.

Now, it may not influence your enjoyment of the scenery, but it will for some people result in unwanted behavior. It's fine that you want to recreate as many true life plans as possible. That you want to go beyond a simple file for all conditions. If you spend countless hours trying to get that right, then I can respect that. But build on the by MS defined foundation and understand how it all works. In any case, an Afcad should work correctly with the default ATC, with the default GPS receiver, ATIS, etc... And if someone points out what the deal is or how to do something, take it seriously and try and understand what is being said exactly. Don't jump to conclusions, don't repeat what you've said previously, don't take it personally and go on the offense, etc... Because sometimes, someone else is right and you are wrong. Hey, I have no problem admitting it when I'm wrong, just look here for a recent example. ::) And when I offer to fix that Ident problem, I don't hear you answer... Well, not then. *Shrugs*

First question: I just wrote in the aircraft.cfg what was in the package for atlantic southeast. I didn´t modify anything.

Apparently that change happened ages ago, see an interesting thread here. Think I'll go and update my traffic now...  ;D

Second question: Sorry, I don´t see those messages on my FS so it is difficult to answer you.

With the program EditVoicepack, you can switch between those phrases. If you go to update the voicepack, you can choose between FAA and ICAO phraseology. If you choose FAA, you'll get Position and Hold. This is for the default ATC by the way.

:)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:30:34 pm by Mike... »

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2008, 08:05:05 pm »
With the program EditVoicepack, you can switch between those phrases. If you go to update the voicepack, you can choose between FAA and ICAO phraseology. If you choose FAA, you'll get Position and Hold. This is for the default ATC by the way.

That´s why I don´t hear those messages. Vatsim has no such messages. ;D ;D ;D

Mike, did you see the thread about KJFK? Are you happy with the fact that this one can be perfectly done with 2 afcads only, if this is the next scenery on board and if I am chosed again as "the afcad man"?

harpsi
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:07:36 pm by harpsi »

bucifan

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2008, 08:34:40 pm »
Mike,

I was using your AFCAD for KORD for the the SImflyer's scenery. The one that had changed the runway idents. If I keep that file in the Scenery..World...Scenery folder, will that resolve the issues that are being discussed?

Rick