Author Topic: FSX won't start  (Read 6882 times)

nelj46

FSX won't start
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:13:56 am »
While installing the LAX trial, I recieved several error messages about copying or replacing FSDT files I already had installed (i.e. MSFX/fsdreamteam/couatl/alut.dll and several others in the same folder.) The error message read "code 5" and gave me the option to retry, abort, or ignore. After several tries at retrying and aborting, I opted to ignore and finished the installation. Now when I launch FSX, it will run the load screen for a minute or two then shut down without an error message. Im assuming this is stemming from the installation errors, but I took out the FSDT files from the FSX directory and it still doesn't run. Any settings changed upon installation that could be causing this?

Michael_B767_ATP

Re: FSX won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:29:10 am »
Hi,

I had the same problem, I had to boot up in safe mode and delete the couatl folder and reinstall.

The folder is in the FSX/FSDreamTeam folder.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:42:12 am »
While installing the LAX trial, I recieved several error messages about copying or replacing FSDT files I already had installed (i.e. MSFX/fsdreamteam/couatl/alut.dll and several others in the same folder.) The error message read "code 5" and gave me the option to retry, abort, or ignore.

That error code means you tried to run the installer too quickly after FSX was still in the act of closing itself so, it locked some files for writing. Of course, if you ignore the errors, nothing would work.

The correct solution would have been rebooting Windows and redo the installation.

There was no need to boot in safe mode (any reboot would worked) or manually remove files, as long FSX is not running (or it's not closing) when the installer is started, the installer is obviously able to overwrite files that are already there, without manually removing anything.

thomasdennis1973

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:08:31 am »
I've tried a fresh reboot to install, inheritance polices etc.  This fix doesn't work for me.  FSX SE is not running in the background, I didn't do it fast .  I still get the error despite searching the Internet this forum that will help with my issue.  I keep getting referred back to this post.  My FSX SE is installed on my HDD however, my Program data folder is on the SSD drive.  No that's not the issue as I have a FSDT products that worked until now.  It just stopped working.  I have almost all of FSDT products.  Another strange issue is my O'hare will not install at all with a similar error.

What else am I missing?

Windows 10 64Bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:12:59 am »
I've tried a fresh reboot to install, inheritance polices etc.  This fix doesn't work for me.  FSX SE is not running in the background, I didn't do it fast . 

That would be only one of the possible reasons of the error 5. The other might just be some other program has locked access from the installation folder, most usually an antivirus, and in some cases if might even messed up the file permissions on your drive for that folder.

First, try to reinstall after restarting Windows.

If that doesn't fix it,  even if you are SURE the antivirus it's not running now and you are SURE FSX is not running, it might still have caused a mess in your file permissions, denying you from accessing a folder, while the antivirus was still active.

Yes, it seems strange, but I witnessed this first-hand on an user system during a remote assistance session. There are some free utilities you can try to unlock that folder:

http://www.iobit.com/en/iobit-unlocker.php
http://www.freefileunlocker.com/

And tell to the utility to unlock the FSX\fsdreamteam folder, then REMOVE IT manually, and then REINSTALL GSX.

thomasdennis1973

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
Thank you very much. It was a permission issue.  I've been flying since 1998 and this is absolutely the fastest response I have ever received from a payware vendor. Thanks again....