Author Topic: Los Angeles Scenery to supplement KLAX  (Read 12944 times)

pmb11

Los Angeles Scenery to supplement KLAX
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »
Hi,

while I own several FSDT Airports (Geneva, Zürich..), this is my first post on this forum, so, please, bear with me.

I'd like to know which Los Angeles Scenery Addon the Developers/Testers suggest/discourage for use with KLAX when it will appear. I've read in other threads some people enjoy Megascenery SoCal. While I own this one, too, my impression is mixed, ground resolution is relatively low by present standards, some mountain roads go nearly vertical etc. Megasceneries were great for FS9 but, in comparison to ORBX stuff they look pale, now, IMHO.

When I fly in LA, I personally prefer the Ultimate Terrain (UT) / Ground Environment X (GEX) / FSGenesis Mesh (FSG) combo giving me overall a much more crisper picture visually (while, obviously, not being photoreal).

So, what would the developers/testers suggest? Any incompatibilities (improbable, but who knows) to expect? Any good alternative?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:44:28 pm by pmb11 »

Snprshot3

Re: Los Angeles Scenery to supplement KLAX
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:15 am »
Wow thats a good one. I never really thought of that. Ilove orbx and I think they make the best scenery for ground. But I have Megascenery. While it lloks good from the air, on the ground its looks awful. Ive been to LAX a million times and it pains me that the surrounding scenery looks so bad. I really want to know what prefors and looks the best.

NZEddy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:46 am »
I'm waiting for Orbx SoCal.

AA777-200ER

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:59:32 am »
Your going to wait a long time...MS Flight & X-Plane will be out by then and already established!  ::)

Darryl
ps...hope Fsdt will develop for the new simulators but which one, Aerosoft has already stated their future plans.....

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:34:42 am »

I've been using MegaScenery SoCal for so long, since my FS9 days and now for FSX and love it. I dont think its bad for airliner flying, although it would be nice to have it annotated for more autogen, but when once you land and are on the taxiways there is enough airport scenery objects and trees to kind of disguise the fact that oustide the airport is a lot more bare. If ORBX turns SoCal into a slide show like it is for KSEA when flying FPS hungry a/c then I wilk skip it and stick to MS SoCal. The PNW KSEA works pretty well for me flying light a/c, but once I load the NGX or any a/c of that type and fly in to the area it starts to blur up a little, where as GEX in the same spot is fine. Besides the fact that no developer in my opinion has better looking night textures than what MegaScenery does, well maybe Vero but I dont have any of their products.

pmrose

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:26:14 am »
I use MegaScenery Las Vegas with Fsdt's Las Vegas and it works GREAT!  Even Aerosoft's Las Vegas added to the mix works very well.  I expect Fsdt's LAX will work very well with MegaScenery SoCal!

In my humble opinion,

Paul
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:29:03 am by pmrose »

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:39 am »
I use MegaScenery Las Vegas with Fsdt's Las Vegas and it works GREAT!  Even Aerosoft's Las Vegas added to the mix works very well.  I expect Fsdt's LAX will work very well with MegaScenery SoCal!

In my humble opinion,

Paul

Same here. I'm using MegaScenery Vegas with FSDT KLAS, MegaSceneryEarth with FSDT KORD and KJFK, and MegaScenery Dallas with FSDT KDFW. No problems with any of them, except MegaSceneryEarth gives me a funny mound at the end of one of the runways at KORD. I am still not sure which part of the MSE .cvx files it is that's causing it though, and to be honest its not a big deal.

I have no doubt that KLAX should work fine with MegaScenery SoCal as long as you have it on a higher scenery layer. If it doesnt' I am sure the guys at FSDT can come up with a solution to make it work should their be any issues.

pmb11

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:56:58 am »

Given the present rate of progress from North to South, I guess this one will be available for Flight 3.

As I see it, most of the folks still prefer SoCal. It's indeed not bad as long as you fly the Big Iron. For Cessna type Bush Pilots like me it's disappointing, though.

Kind regards, Michael