Author Topic: What happened ?!  (Read 16931 times)

DLH458

What happened ?!
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:33 pm »
I just came back from my four week vacation and i thought you wanted to release the airport in August !  :o

WhAt HaPpeNeD ?!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: What happened ?!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
Nothing, it's not done yet. It will be released when it will, not before.

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
This is exactly why many developers do not want to give dates. If the date goes missed lynch mobs start to get formed.

wb2002

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »
This is exactly why many developers do not want to give dates. If the date goes missed lynch mobs start to get formed.

IMO, this is exactly why they should NOT reveal what they are working on or provide "work in progress" - there will always be consequences. We are all not kids here - waiting on some ice cream someone keeps tempting us with. Some os us actually live on a budget and do not have the luxury of purchasing every addon that is produced. Therefore, we have to consider what is available at the time we can afford it. Of course, a developer can do or practice whatever they desire but it is not a kind thing to repeatily wave a tempting meal in the face of someone that is starving to death and not expect a reaction, both positive and negative.

wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
IMO, this is exactly why they should NOT reveal what they are working on or provide "work in progress"

Some os us actually live on a budget and do not have the luxury of purchasing every addon that is produced. Therefore, we have to consider what is available at the time we can afford it.

If we didn't provided any info, it would be even worse for those wanting to plan ahead their purchases.

Silverbird

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:07 pm »

IMO, this is exactly why they should NOT reveal what they are working on or provide "work in progress" - there will always be consequences. We are all not kids here - waiting on some ice cream someone keeps tempting us with. Some os us actually live on a budget and do not have the luxury of purchasing every addon that is produced. Therefore, we have to consider what is available at the time we can afford it. Of course, a developer can do or practice whatever they desire but it is not a kind thing to repeatily wave a tempting meal in the face of someone that is starving to death and not expect a reaction, both positive and negative.

Hello wb2002  I like the fact that Umberto shows us progress of what there developing and I also like the fact that he gives us a rough estimate  of when the scenery might come out which in turn prepares us, for example some of the guys here might hold on to some money for the scenery knowing that its very close to release I'm not rich I don't get tons of money and I have 3 boys and my wife and money can get tight so it helps knowing some info ahead of time I'm sure Umberto knows that some of us can get impatient and its natural,  when your excited for something you like very much I'm sure they want to finish it and are doing there best but I like it the way fsdt does it.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

wb2002

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:44:32 am »

Hello wb2002  I like the fact that Umberto shows us progress of what there developing and I also like the fact that he gives us a rough estimate  of when the scenery might come out which in turn prepares us, for example some of the guys here might hold on to some money for the scenery knowing that its very close to release I'm not rich I don't get tons of money and I have 3 boys and my wife and money can get tight so it helps knowing some info ahead of time I'm sure Umberto knows that some of us can get impatient and its natural,  when your excited for something you like very much I'm sure they want to finish it and are doing there best but I like it the way fsdt does it.

I have learned in life that there will not always be a choice to be made between right and wrong - some times, you have to choose between 2 rights or 2 wrongs. I am sure that FSDT wants to make the sceneries available ASAP for various reasons. But, it is only reasonable to consider that flirting advertisement will not always result in a positive desired response. I too, live on a budget and have saved for release for an FSX addon which included this scenery however, I have interest to purchase another quality scenery just recently released. I have denied myself the joy of this other scenery for the promise of KLAX. In life, all we have is "NOW" - Tomorrow is not promised.   I like seeing so called, progress reports also however somewhere along, some things have been mentioned aluding to an availabile release period - summer, end of summer, August,  this year and etc. This is what can become frustrating for so called, Loyal customers.

wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:00:11 am »
IMO, this is exactly why they should NOT reveal what they are working on or provide "work in progress"

Some os us actually live on a budget and do not have the luxury of purchasing every addon that is produced. Therefore, we have to consider what is available at the time we can afford it.

If we didn't provided any info, it would be even worse for those wanting to plan ahead their purchases.
Very True!!!!
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

Silverbird

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:19:51 am »

I have learned in life that there will not always be a choice to be made between right and wrong - some times, you have to choose between 2 rights or 2 wrongs. I am sure that FSDT wants to make the sceneries available ASAP for various reasons. But, it is only reasonable to consider that flirting advertisement will not always result in a positive desired response. I too, live on a budget and have saved for release for an FSX addon which included this scenery however, I have interest to purchase another quality scenery just recently released. I have denied myself the joy of this other scenery for the promise of KLAX. In life, all we have is "NOW" - Tomorrow is not promised.   I like seeing so called, progress reports also however somewhere along, some things have been mentioned aluding to an availabile release period - summer, end of summer, August,  this year and etc. This is what can become frustrating for so called, Loyal customers.

We must have different  understandings while I respect your opinion I cannot fully agree with them I don't believe that fsdt are  flirting with advertisement there just giving us in honest opinion and a rough estimate  at that specific time yes we can go check past posts in the forum,  but that was done under a different time which has passed on now, so anything in the future can change in a matter of seconds if you had a choice to pick one then I would choose the one you will use the most. then get the other at a later time when you have some more cash available and I do mean this will all due respect I have some stuff myself that I want and unfortunately not enough cash for all of them but I'm sure the wait for klax will be worth it.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

01pewterz28

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:16 am »
I think we all understand and should know by now "NO" developer ever makes a deadline all developers have every intention to release a scenery on an projected date but things beyond there control and and development times slip just ask "Boeing". I support FSDT 100% in showing development photos it keeps simmers excited. You can budget for a scenery if the development time is missed go on buy something else the scenery will be around for purchase when you have the funds.

Sean

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:38:43 am »
It just goes back to the old wise phrase, "You can't please everybody."

That was meant with all due respect and wasn't meant for anyone specific.  It's just true.  Someone will have their opinions and views for why something should be done one way and someone else will have the complete opposite view.  Meanwhile another person will have an opinion somewhere in between.  

So what does someone, like a developer do?  

Obviously he can't adhere to all sides, so choosing the middle ground is the best option to keeping most people happy.  

Should he choose the far right option of keeping everyone in the dark?  Or should he choose the far left option of announcing a specific date - thereby creating pressure to release it by that time with a strong chance that the work may not even be finished yet?  

I think the best option would be neither, but rather to keep us updated with WIP posts and if there's credible reason to believe that it may be out around a certain time-frame, then give us a vague period to watch for it, such as "around the end of August."  This is better than a specific time and still leaves room to maneuver if "sh1t happens" and it has to be extended a bit more.  

This is what Umberto has done and I think it's the right course of action.  Just my $0.02.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:40:54 am by Aeroman »
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

flapsup

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:12 am »

So if it is released now, unfinnished, would you be happy. No, you would ask for a refund. It is a work of art, and you should appreciate it for what it is going to be when "FULLY" completed.
I for one cannot understand why these sort of posts surface when a popular addon is in the works, it almost smells of selfishness, a bit like the FSX and FS9 debate. It is not the second coming, it is a high quality airport addon, for which I am looking forward too.
I own all of FSDT airports, so I consider myself a loyal customer. And I consider FSDT a loyal developer, and never fail to provide quality.

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:07 am »
Personally I like to know what is going with developers behind the scene. It is great to see what they are working on.

On the other end of the scale we have Martin at Fly Tampa who never tips his hand with what he is working on until it is due for release. I personally wish he would do previews and such, but I can fully understand why he does not.

masondom

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:07:16 am »
Hi eveybody, hi Umberto

Can i ask* if Los Angeles is on beta stage ?
(or maybe did i miss somethin about how FSDT handles beta stages).

Thanks
Dom

*of course i can ask.. ::)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:10 am »
But, it is only reasonable to consider that flirting advertisement will not always result in a positive desired response.

I think the worst case of "flirting advertisement" I have ever seen is the advertising for SimAir by REX. First they put out a small teaser to get everyone talking and interested, then they had the contest to "guess the blanks" of what the product was and gave away prizes, leading us to assume that once the contest was over it would either be released or the information on the product would be fully disclosed. However, once the contest ended we haven't seen or heard anything since about the product and it's said to still not be ready for release. In my opinion, that was the worst teaser and promotion of a product (aside from the Intersim fiacso with KMIA) that I have ever seen for an FS addon. I've basically lost interest in the product for now and don't even check thier website anymore to see if it's been released or what the status of it is. I will say that in the case of SimAir I wish they had either waited until it was just about due for release, rather than tease, promote, then d\go dark again on the product and not give out any more info.

Personally, as far as FSDT goes, I have always enjoyed the "back door" previews since they often provide more info and screen shots along the way compared to what most FS addon developers do since it give you a pretty solid idea of how far along they are into production. I'd rather have that than not have any previews, or posts constantly asking the developer what they are working on and how far along is it, but like Aeroman said, you can't please everyone. Developers these days are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to giving out info on upcomming products.