Author Topic: ILS Problems - My solution  (Read 8726 times)

krwynn

ILS Problems - My solution
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:02:12 am »
This worked for me. I haven't had any ill affects with this work around so far.
I purchased all Hawaiian Airports and Zurich this weekend. To good of a deal and I've been wanting to try some FSDT airports for awhile now. I mostly have flytampa, aerosoft and flightbeam. Anyway I'm pretty pleased with the FSDT scenery so far and will most likely purchase more.

My problem (I've seen here and other places that others have had this same problem):
No ILS frequencies for PHLI, PHNL, or PHTO on my maps, gps or anything else for that matter. I did have ILS for PHKO and PHOG.

I reasearched this most of the weekend trying to figure out what was going on and tried numerous things to pin it down. All with no success and a lot of frustration. The pat answer around most boards was "has to be another afcad somewhere that is interfering". Well, I can be the first to say that is not true, in my case anyway.

After at least 50 tries of different combinations that failed, I resolved to start with what I knew. I knew 2 of the 5 had ILS that worked. I looked at the 2 that did work (with ADE X v1.50.11) and noticed that the FSDT afcads actually had ILS entries. Hmmmm. I then looked at 3 that didn't work and they didn't have entries. Hmmmm again. I then loaded up the 3 that didn't work (1 at a time) went to Tools -> Load Stock Data -> Navaids & Waypoints (only box that needs checked). I then compiled it and copied it to the correct scenery folder in the fsdreamteam tree (Making a copy of the original FSDT file and putting it in another folder, then deleting the one in the fsdreamteam folder). All 3 now work with full ILS like the stock airports. So far it's worked like a charm.

Hope this helps others that have had the same issue wih no resolve.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:04:53 am by krwynn »
Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: ILS Problems - My solution
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:44 am »
After at least 50 tries of different combinations that failed, I resolved to start with what I knew. I knew 2 of the 5 had ILS that worked. I looked at the 2 that did work (with ADE X v1.50.11) and noticed that the FSDT afcads actually had ILS entries.

Of course they work, as you said, the FSDT AFCAD have entries for them, and they worked, there aren't any other ILS at PHNL, the real life airport only has normal ILS on 2 runways:

8L and t4R

Then, there's the LDA offset localizer for 26L, which will show only as a localizer, and might not be tunable outside its covered arc, so you might have to approach from the south-east to tune it.

There are no other ILSs at PHNL, all the other runways have non-precision RNAV-GPS approaches only.

So far it's worked like a charm.

I'm not sure what other ILS you were expecting to see at PHNL however, it's still very likely you DID had a conflicting AFCAD, it's easy to be misled without knowing how ADE works:

FSDT PHNL has NO ILS entries! We haven't added any, and the original XML source code for it doesn't have them, if you really want to be sure of this, simply decompile it using the BGL2XML decompiler, which is a companion utility for ADE (a separate download, though)

You were misled into thinking there were ILS entires in the FSDT AFCAD, because when you load an AFCAD, ADE will ALSO display Navaids coming from the default scenery, because this is what would happen in FSX when you load an airport, the default navaids would still work, unless you redefine them in the addon airport.

Since the ILS didn't need modifications comparing to default, we haven't included them, there's no point including an identical copy of the default data in the scenery, usually ILS are added only when their frequency changes, or when the runway position in the addon airport doesn't match the default one.

In fact, if you *move* or *edit* an ILS in ADE and save it back the modified AFCAD, it WILL include the modified ILS in your saved file. If you don't touch navaids, the file will be saved back without any navaids, as it were UNLESS you select the option to "Load Stock Data" which copies ALL the default data for the airport INTO the AFCAD you are editing.

That's why is still possible you had AFCAD issues because, if the ILS that didn't worked (provided it's established that only 2 ILS and 1 LDA are present at PHNL in real life) now work after loading stock data, it means there WAS another ILS in conflict OR your default scenery was modified somehow because, under normal conditions, PHNL (and all the other airports too) should work without adding any ILS to its own AFCAD, because the default ones will be active.

Kurt

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »
I just reading this thread and I'm a bit confused. I too can't see any ILS-frequencies when I'm landing at PHLI. What is the reason or can you tell me the right frequencies?

krwynn

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 03:34:48 am »
I just reading this thread and I'm a bit confused. I too can't see any ILS-frequencies when I'm landing at PHLI. What is the reason or can you tell me the right frequencies?

Did any of what I posted help? Did you try it? I appreciated virtuali's response but it was all gibberish to me. I don't care how all that works really. I just wanted my ILS's to work like it did before the installs. What I did works for me. Hope it helped you too.
Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

bjratchf

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:32:50 pm »
In P3Dv4 I had the same problem trying the ILS 35 in PHLI... When I went to the default map in P3D- there was a "ILIH do not use" with a frequency of 108.00... in ADE I opened up the AFX_PHLI.bgl, and saw there was no ILS in that bgl.

I loaded the default navaids as instructed above and recompiled a new AFCAD, and set AFX_PHLI.bgl to .off  ... ILS now works.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:03:33 am »
When I went to the default map in P3D- there was a "ILIH do not use" with a frequency of 108.00...

Which clearly indicates you must have some kind of conflicting file, since the frequency for the ILIH ILS in the default scenery it's 110.90. This is what I see both in the Map and when selecting the option to import Stock data into ADE.

And, I tried before and after installing the Hawaii airports: in both cases the Map shows ILIH with 110.90, no idea where that 108.00 is coming from, but it's surely wrong.

in ADE I opened up the AFX_PHLI.bgl, and saw there was no ILS in that bgl.

Which is entirely normal. As I've said, since we haven't changed neither the frequency or the location of the ILS compared to the default, there wasn't any need to duplicate them in the scenery, since the ILS hasn't changed.

I loaded the default navaids as instructed above and recompiled a new AFCAD, and set AFX_PHLI.bgl to .off  ... ILS now works.

That's because, by importing the default navdata, and placing it in the scenery, you overrode the conflicting ILS that came with another scenery so yes, this would work, but it shouldn't be necessary, if there was no conflicting file to begin with.

bjratchf

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 04:07:14 pm »
I found the culprit... it was a PHLI_AG.bgl from George Keoghs hawaiian airport scenery. It had the orphaned ILS.