Author Topic: Another one with the buildings problem!!  (Read 13996 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Another one with the buildings problem!!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:15 pm »
I shall try again with the antivirus program fully deactivated (I´ll rename the directory so that it cannot be found....) as this seems to be the only option left

Don't try those tricks, there's not just a single folder involved during an installation.

The files are downloaded, uncompressed from the installer in a temporary folder (which change name at every run) under the windows temporary folder, and only then are finally copied to FSX. At each of these stages the antivirus can potentially block their installation so, the only safe option is to do what was suggested above:

- Turn the antivirus entirely OFF before installing

- keep it off when downloading AND installing

- configure it to exclude the following files from scanning BEFORE turn it back on:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe

- turn it back on, then launch FSX

Scorpio47

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:19 pm »
You are right, of course. I only inspected the cfg file and I could not rename the antivirus subdirectory.

So, I tried one last time, with all features of the antivirus program switched off. I downloaded the installers for the scenery and the stand alone addon manager, after I had fully deinstalled both from my hard disk, answering YES in all cases. I checked for remining traces, but there was none.

Then I installed the scenery, after that the addon manager, made sure that the antivirus program had bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe as exceptions listed and started FSX.
It loaded the scenery files and updated the cfg file for them, then offered me free flight mode. I chose my ususal default flight, i.e. C172 in ELLX and waited for it to load.
when checking, there was nothing listed in the addon folder which had not been there before, moved to LSZH, gate 44, and found no buildings!

I think it is best to give up for now, as there seems to be something that prevents couatl.exe and the dll from being loaded and running and it seems to have to do with FSX itself not starting these addons for some mysterious reason.

So, please Umberto, do not spend too much time on this any more. I can live without the very nice Zurich scenery until some magic solution comes along.
It would be nice, of course, to have it, and it would be a good reason to buy some more of the FSDT sceneries, like KJFK or KLAX for instance.  :(

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Juergen
(the old guy from the days of A.T.P. and AS2)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »
Then I installed the scenery, after that the addon manager, made sure that the antivirus program had bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe as exceptions listed and started FSX.

Have you got the request to trust the two modules in FSX ? If yes, have you replied Yes to it ?

If no, there's something else wrong, either the antivirus is still interfering, or some system files are missing. We had a couple of user that are sure their antivirus was able to block the files even when it was turned off.

Scorpio47

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:19 pm »
Have you got the request to trust the two modules in FSX ? If yes, have you replied Yes to it ?

If no, there's something else wrong, either the antivirus is still interfering, or some system files are missing. We had a couple of user that are sure their antivirus was able to block the files even when it was turned off.

No, I did not get the request to trust the two new modules in FSX. So there is definitely something else preventing the proper execution here.

I am 100% sure that the antivirus program was inactive until I rebooted my PC, but with those PCs you can never be sure... :)

I have tried to install the try and buy version of KJFK, but the behavior is exactly the same, unfortunately.

Thank you and have a  good night´s sleep, Umberto!

Scorpio47

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 11:02:37 pm »
It starts to get interesting now:

I have installed the Zurich scenery and the stand alone addon manager as a different user with administrator rights, but into the same directory (I only have FSX installed ONCE...).
All other settings and circumstances were the same as before, but this time I get the questions to authorize the modules and I could see all buildings in Zurich. I hve used the addon manager to introduce my registration info and it was successfuly activated!!

However, when logging on as before (normal user with no admin rights but when necessary prompted for the admin password) there were again NO buildings...

It seems therefore, that there is some difference between the two users and that there must be two versions of basic FSX files on my PC (can only be in standard subdirectories that Win7 created for each user). I have compared the two versions of fsx.cfg found in the roaming subdir of each user and indeed they differ slightly and the one for the working installation has the two modules bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe listed under trusted files, the other one has not!

Is there a way to copy the required files from one user to the other? And where would I find them?

Thank you again and have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Juergen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:03 pm »
I'm not sure it's a problem of having different files, it's more likely the programs won't run with a standard user, even if you give the admin password, that would only cover installation permissions, not running permissions.

What happens if you run with the standard user, but execute FSX.EXE "As Administrator" ?

Scorpio47

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:08 am »
H E U R E K A  !!

You found it, Umberto!  Thank you VERY much, all is fine now when I start FSX as an administrator!

So, perhaps you want to include this into your general list of answers to this problem. I am not sure if it is a general problem for Windows 7, but it might be a good idea to run FSX as administrator in any case...

Thank you very much for your help and I´ll now go forward and order some more sceneries... ;), KJFK is probably next together with KLAX.

BTW, if you still remember the days of ATP/AS2 (Salzburg conference), you might also remember that David Bolenbaugh and myself had set up the very first VA on the Compuserve BBS (more or less simultaneously with Jim Swanson on Prodigy in May 1992!) under the name of CISAir. Our main hub was actually in EUREKA, California or KACV (Arcata)!!!  So speaking with old Archimedes I was reminded of my beginnings in virtual aviation...   :) :) :)

EDITED 1.5 Hours later:
Both KJFK and KLAX are running here, paid for. fully activated and in full glory. THANK YOU, UMBERTO!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:14:50 am by Scorpio47 »