Author Topic: External Textures causes FSDT KORD to Crash?  (Read 6784 times)

walki14

External Textures causes FSDT KORD to Crash?
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
I just got UTX the other night and I LOVE IT!!!! ;D I started my first flight with it in my hometown in Wisconsin and it worked great. However as soon as I tried to start a flight out of FSDT KORD, before it could finish loading I get an error message saying: "Microsoft Flight Simulator has encountered a problem and needs to close." This causes the computer to freeze and I had to manually end the process fsx.exe. Here is the crash log stored in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b96e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00058472
Faulting process id: 0x25ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc69f9142f051a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a31574ff-d5ee-11e0-9aa5-e0f84744e0b1

Does this mean that KORD is not compatable with addons that add extra textures? I really don't want to have to uninstall KORD because it is my favorite addon :'(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: External Textures causes FSDT KORD to Crash?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
Does this mean that KORD is not compatable with addons that add extra textures?

If you read here, there seems to be issues with UTX, that some users solved by updating and/or reinstalling it:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4268.0

Note that, UTX doesn't simply add textures, it replaces the default scenery almost entirely with roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines,etc so, the changes it does are quite significant.

In any case, your crash is happening in ntdll.dll, which is a low level service API, not a graphic one, meaning the problem is likely either a corrupted file, or just memory exhaustion, maybe because you simply have either too many addons, or just too high settings, which are consuming more memory. This, provided you can't fix the problem by patching or reinstalling UTX, which seemed to have fixed issues for some users, as seen in the previous thread.

walki14

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
Ok Thanks! Ill try that now! :)

walki14

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »
Ok, so I tried your suggestions. Unfortunatly they did not work. So I tried to disable UTX. I did this and then I launched fsx. It did work for about 2 minutes until I got the same crash:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b96e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00058472
Faulting process id: 0x420
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc6a7a432bede9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: e896fb5a-d66d-11e0-9e14-e0f84744e0b1

I am going to try uninstalling UTX again and then reinstalling and if i need to i guess I will reinstall FSX. Thanks for your help though! :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:55:51 pm »
Ok, so I tried your suggestions. Unfortunatly they did not work. So I tried to disable UTX. I did this and then I launched fsx. It did work for about 2 minutes until I got the same crash

Well, disabling UTX clearly made a difference, because you first reported a crash before finish loading, now it's crashing after 2 minutes so, disabling UTX had an effect.

In any case, have you disabled it in the Scenery Library ? if yes, that's not enough, you have to use its own utility, because I think it also need to restore replaced default files.

walki14

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:13:36 am »
Hi again! After reinstalling all the different products, I finally found a solution to the problem. I first decided to delete the fsx.cfg file and allow the program to write a new one. After this, I dropped FSDT KORD under the UTX files in the scenery library. This fixed the problem and now FSX even better than before!  ;D Thanks SO much for the quick replies and amazing service. Expect many future purchases from me!  :)

reinergu

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31:37 pm »
But the scenary looks very strange when you move it under the UTX entrys in the library...?

flapsup

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:24:23 am »
Hi again! After reinstalling all the different products, I finally found a solution to the problem. I first decided to delete the fsx.cfg file and allow the program to write a new one. After this, I dropped FSDT KORD under the UTX files in the scenery library. This fixed the problem and now FSX even better than before!  ;D Thanks SO much for the quick replies and amazing service. Expect many future purchases from me!  :)
Not a good idea at all, to put UTX above any addon airports. I would suggest you go and read NickN's tuning guide @ simforums, and explains how to correctly set up UTX.

If you scroll down to near the end of the tuning guide, there you will see Nick's UTX set up guide. Now that you have UTX set up incorrectly, you are seeing what you ecpect to see, but not really seeing it, if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:28:05 am by flapsup »