Author Topic: Whole airport area elevation is off  (Read 7340 times)

aircanadajet

Whole airport area elevation is off
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:25:15 pm »
Hi, I installed various add ons to my FSX the other day, FS Global, Ultimate Terrain North America, etc. and I noticed that the KLAS is off the ground in a very unrealistic way, meaning that the elevation of the airport is not evenly distributed with the rest of the terrain surrounding it. There is a step hill right at the beginning of the runways, and the edge of the airport... I was hoping I could get some insight as far as adjusting this so it looks more like its supposed to look. Any thoughts on how to do this? Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Whole airport area elevation is off
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »
The airport it's surely correct. However, the real life KLAS airport has about 100 ft altitude difference along its area. But, since Flight sim doesn't really support sloped airports (not without causing lots of side effects with AI, ground lines, etc.) we don't have any other choice than flattening the airport to the published altitude.

The default mesh from Microsoft was processed to smooth out elevation differences taking into account that all airports would be flat, so you don't see any issues with the default mesh, but if you install 3rd party meshes, there aren't usually processed to do this, so the problem will show.

Since you use FS Global, they have a companion product called AFM (Aerodrome Flattening Meshes) which does the same kind of processing to fix sunken or elevated airports:

http://www.fsim.net/AspNet/Pages/afm.aspx

and it's a free DVD (just shipping) for FS Global registered users, and it's included in the FS Global Ultimate edition.

aircanadajet

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »
Hi Umberto Thanks for the link, I will give it a try.... It did happen after I installed the add ons I must say. And I've been noticing a texture 'fight' in the runways, is almost like a lot of flickering... do you know of a way to solve this? at certain angle I can see FSDT scenery on the runway, but then I switched the view and then I see what I think is REX Overdrive textures... how can you make them both work? or better make them look normal? Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »
And I've been noticing a texture 'fight' in the runways, is almost like a lot of flickering... do you know of a way to solve this? at certain angle I can see FSDT scenery on the runway, but then I switched the view and then I see what I think is REX Overdrive textures...

Texture fighting it's also a consequence of altitude differences, so it might be related to the mesh used too.