Author Topic: vLSO Alpha Release  (Read 54933 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: vLSO Alpha Release
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 06:15:42 am »
Last font - third - one in that lot of three looks best IMHO.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »
One idea I had was to have a trigger or button in FSX that acts as a cue for calling the ball. This would replace the vLSO saying call the ball, which is not NATOPS case 1 ops. Once you see the ball in fsx press some TBD button, call your side number, ac, fuel state, and the program would recognize the trigger (FSX button) and respond roger ball. If you didn't make the call inside .6 miles you would get a wave off, or we could have a Clara call button, but that is probably overkill. Anyways just thought to make the calls more realistic, see the ball and the make the call, not wait for the auto trigger "call the ball".

Capt,
What we really miss in FSX is the player-game interaction. Unfortunately all that we can use are few free FSX functions. But as I have already mentioned, the need to assign a (joystick or keyboard?) button to an FSX command/function would significantly limit the player and/or FSX. What if that FSX command is already assigned and used by the player's aircraft?.. So, all we can do is to simulate or mimic real life interaction to a certain extent.

Currently there's a trigger area in my test mission(s) which is located in front of 'the start' position. When you fly through this 'window', the program starts recording your approach data.  Then it issues 'call the ball', after that it shows your 'ball call' with your side number, ball and fuel state. Sure, it always says BALL, never CLARA, because the program has no idea whether you actually see the ball or not.  :) Finally, the program says 'roger ball' and shows a message with this text and current WOD.

It is possible to programmatically determine Case 1-3 conditions, thus disable 'call the ball' if it is Case 1. Additionally, the program could show appropriate 'CASE I(II) Approach' text message to inform the pilot when he starts another approach.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 05:35:09 pm »
Serge,
Looking good. I personally like the third text format "Sean", IMHO. Maybe use this text to only fill in the cells (where the LSO writes), and change the coloumn headers (titles) to normal text.

As for the FSX "call the ball" trigger I agree it would be great to make this manual (through an assigned button) and not automatic for Case I Ops, but understand it would take away a FSX command and a joystick allocation. Although, I would be willing to give up one or two buttons to call the ball or CLARA at 3/4 of a mile to trigger the vLSO "roger ball" and scoring program, and this would include the risk being waved off if I did not make this call before passing 3/4 mile. I could see the trigger working two ways; one you see the ball, hit the button on your controller (trigger's virtual ball call) then the vLSO says "roger ball" and then works as normal. The second scenario, is you hit another button for CLARA, and the vLSO would not respond roger ball, but instead give you a glideslope call (e.g. on glideslope, your high, your low, etc.).

Sometimes in the 2D HUD mode when I am rolling into the groove, the LSO says call the ball before I can actually see it (still in the turn). Does this happen to anyone? Any tips? Not a big issue, but it would be cool to control calling the ball to when I actually see it and have good info for glideslope control.

Anyways I like the way the program works for CASE I, much better than anything out there, just wanted to share this idea.

As for CASE III, I think the scoring program could remaining the same (LSO scores inside 3/4 mile), but the mission could start by sending you to a marshall stack for holding, then clear you for the approach. The pilot would be responsible for holding in marshall, then hitting the platform altitude at various stages (see attached graphic) while getting setup for the approach. Triggers could be setup in the mission for calls like "say needles, concur mode x", "dirty up", etc. Also when you get to 3/4 of mile the vLSO could work as it does now, since you normally get the "call the ball" for CASE III (I think).

-CAPT

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:37:33 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 08:11:21 am »
Guys,
just curious what's the size of your Logbook.dat file (placed along with the vLSO.exe in the same folder) and how many attempts are registered in the logbook?
Thanks

GOONIE

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:18 am »
428kb, and about 40-50 traps (hard to count,maybe a #column would help)
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SUBS17

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 02:02:49 am »
One idea I had was to have a trigger or button in FSX that acts as a cue for calling the ball. This would replace the vLSO saying call the ball, which is not NATOPS case 1 ops. Once you see the ball in fsx press some TBD button, call your side number, ac, fuel state, and the program would recognize the trigger (FSX button) and respond roger ball. If you didn't make the call inside .6 miles you would get a wave off, or we could have a Clara call button, but that is probably overkill. Anyways just thought to make the calls more realistic, see the ball and the make the call, not wait for the auto trigger "call the ball".

Capt,
What we really miss in FSX is the player-game interaction. Unfortunately all that we can use are few free FSX functions. But as I have already mentioned, the need to assign a (joystick or keyboard?) button to an FSX command/function would significantly limit the player and/or FSX. What if that FSX command is already assigned and used by the player's aircraft?.. So, all we can do is to simulate or mimic real life interaction to a certain extent.

Currently there's a trigger area in my test mission(s) which is located in front of 'the start' position. When you fly through this 'window', the program starts recording your approach data.  Then it issues 'call the ball', after that it shows your 'ball call' with your side number, ball and fuel state. Sure, it always says BALL, never CLARA, because the program has no idea whether you actually see the ball or not.  :) Finally, the program says 'roger ball' and shows a message with this text and current WOD.

It is possible to programmatically determine Case 1-3 conditions, thus disable 'call the ball' if it is Case 1. Additionally, the program could show appropriate 'CASE I(II) Approach' text message to inform the pilot when he starts another approach.

Is there any plans to add calls for other aircraft types eg Rhino, Hornet, Hawkeye etc?

Johan

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:41:55 am »
Guys,
just curious what's the size of your Logbook.dat file (placed along with the vLSO.exe in the same folder) and how many attempts are registered in the logbook?
Thanks

Hi Serge,

Mine is just 69KB. I have just 30 attempts.

Johan

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 07:35:46 am »
Serge...

Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to get my "flying setup" HOTAS-on-desk arrangement back in order and haven't gotten on here in a while, since I was back from my vacation. I'll get airborne and get you some results, and a continuation of the details of my carrier "stopping" problem.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 08:28:36 am »
Serge...

Got a few quick passes in before hitting the rack tonight. Didn't seem to have the "stopping" issue, as I went DIRECTLY to CAT4 from mission startup and it seemed to work continuously from start thru 3 passes.

The issues I did have were:
1. The "time in groove" still lists as: 30+ secs, when I'm counting out-loud only to 20. Not sure if this is where an "initiation" window is located?
2. On FULL LSO Talking Level, during a solid approach, the LSO says "a little low" when the ball is centered and the ICLS needles are showing me a TAD HIGH. I'll try to get some pics right as he says it. Or some FRAPS videos.

One question, what was your rationale behind the numbers for the pass? I'm only asking, as I wanted to get what your mentality is during the pass and grading. I read the .pdfs and thought you'd split IM (4700'/2=2400 rounded up) and then work towards the "front end" of IC (~1200) and AR (~300), but thats just the way I would do it. Want to hear your take on it.

Those are the only comments I have from the 3 passes tonight, I will try to fly some more tomorrow after workout and give you the logfile after I've dropped about 20 or so traps.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:06 am »
2. On FULL LSO Talking Level, during a solid approach, the LSO says "a little low" when the ball is centered and the ICLS needles are showing me a TAD HIGH.

Sludge,
I have noticed such inconsistencies too. This is mainly due to different location of the ILS of Javier's and FSX carriers. Look at the comparison picture. You can see the difference - on the Acceleration carrier FLOLS and ILS glideslope axes match, whereas on Javier's they don't. I've asked Javier for some geometry data of his carrier model and he kindly promised he would share that info, so I hope I'll be able to minimize that difference...

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:02 am »
Serge...

Wow, big differences. That pic really illustrates how different both carriers "ball"/glideslope indications (IFLOLS gauge) are and how they get worse "in close" into the wires. Do you have a solution? Are you gonna change your "zones" for each particular carrier (accel default vs. Javier) type?

Later
Sludge

micro

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 05:45:28 am »
Serge,
It looks like you’re in the object placement tool when taking those pics, and I think that requires you to be pointing in the direction you’re looking. You might very well have taken this into account, but just remember that the nose of the aircraft on final is pointed well above the glidepath, 8.1 degrees in the Hornet as you well know. Hence, a jet might be on glideslope according to the ICLS that the Stand-Alone Meatball is based on, but because he is nose low (lowering the pilot’s eye) the pilot would see a lower ball on the IFLOLS on the ship. Much the same, the pilot might be a little high on the ICLS and because he is pointed right at the landing area see a center ball on the ship, as you do with Javier’s carrier. I kind of take the Acceleration carrier for what its worth, but after reading what went into Javier’s carrier, I was thoroughly impressed. However, I don’t doubt your abilities one bit, and if you already took that into account, please disregard.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 06:10:40 am »
Micro,
that's correct, I use the OPT to do various things when developing missions etc. This way I have discovered this difference between the two carriers. When 'approaching' to the Acceleration carrier along its optical glidepath, I have steady meatballs both on the FLOLS and the IFLOLS gauge (which uses ILS data). But when approaching to Javier's carrier along its optical glidepath, I have the IFLOLS meatball moving up (the closer to the boat the higher it goes), which makes me believe that the ILS source point and the FLOLS focus of lens do not coincide. That's why I asked Javier for some additional info on his model...

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 06:48:02 am »
One question, what was your rationale behind the numbers for the pass? I'm only asking, as I wanted to get what your mentality is during the pass and grading. I read the .pdfs and thought you'd split IM (4700'/2=2400 rounded up) and then work towards the "front end" of IC (~1200) and AR (~300), but thats just the way I would do it. Want to hear your take on it.

Sludge,
I use the RHE_NAV_90_TR_1.pdf by Robert K. Heffley and here are some pictures taken from his work to explain my numbers  :)
You can see that the touchdown point is about 230' from the ramp.
Also, in the Table 2-1 Heffley specifies some other numbers:

at the ramp AR 100-600 ft from touchdown
in close IC 600-2000 ft from touchdown
in the middle IM 2000-4000 ft from touchdown
at the start X 4000-5000 ft (~3/4 nm —beginning final leg)

I assume AR is 600' from the touchdown point (or some 400' aft of the ramp). So my numbers are:
AR -  600'   (400')
IC - 1500' (1300')
IM - 3100' (2900')
BC - 4550' (4350')
X   - 5130' (4930') but currently X is at 4700', just to keep 1600' stepping  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:30:30 am by fsxnavypilot »

micro

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 07:31:06 am »
Serge, I gotcha. I was just referreing to the pilots’ “eye”.  Like in this first pic, I’m on glideslope according to the ICLS and since I’m on speed both “balls’ show center.

But, if I simply rotate around the aircraft’s lateral axis and point the nose between the 2 and 3 wires, I have lowered the pilots “eye”. Now I’m still on glideslope as per the ICLS, but my pilot’s eye is too low, thus showing a slightly low ball on the ship’s IFLOLS.

Again, my apologies if we are having a communications failure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:41:56 am by micro »