Author Topic: Buildings go missing after 10 mins or so....  (Read 4713 times)

hamish77

Buildings go missing after 10 mins or so....
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:58:39 am »
 Hi Guys

I have recently re installed KDFW and KLAS after re installing FSX a couple of months back. I installed both sceneries and on the KLAS installer I remember I saw a box pop up saying 'an error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory. code 183 cannot create a file when that file already exists'

I aborted the install. Fired up FSX was asked to accept addon manager and coutl which I did. Then parked myself at Dallas and registered my serial. All was good until about 10 mins in when all the buildings disappeared just leaving big black textures and the taxiways. I checked that both the addon manager and coutl were still listed in the taskbar. I have unistalled and then reinstalled KLAS which seemed to go fine but the same thing happened after 10 mins or so the buildings went. I installed with my anti virus off but that has not helped maybe something else is going on... any help really appreciated...

Hamish.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Buildings go missing after 10 mins or so....
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:17:53 am »
I have recently re installed KDFW and KLAS after re installing FSX a couple of months back. I installed both sceneries and on the KLAS installer I remember I saw a box pop up saying 'an error occured while trying to rename a file in the destination directory. code 183 cannot create a file when that file already exists'

This because you launched the installer when FSX wasn't fully closed. A Windows reboot would have solved it.

I aborted the install. Fired up FSX was asked to accept addon manager and coutl which I did. Then parked myself at Dallas and registered my serial. All was good until about 10 mins in when all the buildings disappeared just leaving big black textures and the taxiways.

Since you aborted the installation, the scenery would never work until you install it properly.

I checked that both the addon manager and coutl were still listed in the taskbar. I have unistalled and then reinstalled KLAS which seemed to go fine but the same thing happened after 10 mins or so the buildings went. I installed with my anti virus off but that has not helped maybe something else is going on... any help really appreciated...

First, if you see the Addon Manager AND the Couatl menus, you can safely discount any antivirus issue, because in that case the programs wouldn't run at all so, no menus inside FSX.

And, there's a big difference if it's 5 minutes or it's really 10 minutes. If buildings disappear after 5 minutes, it means you are still in Trial mode. If they disappear after a longer time, it really shouldn't happen, but maybe it's related to the fact you aborted an installation, and some files might be missing or corrupted.

- Reboot Windows

- Uninstall everything and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine ? "

- Reinstall all the sceneries and be sure there are no errors while installing.

- Download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX and install it AFTER all the sceneries are installed.

hamish77

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »
Thanks Umberto

So I followed your instructions, removed everything then re booted. I firstly installed Zurich X that went through no problems, waited a minute tried to install Honolulu and thats where I receive the code error 183 so I have aborted that install. Should they be installed one by one each time starting FSX or should I reboot windows each time I install the sceneries? Strange one.. I have yet to check on the missing buildings in Zurich....

Thanks

Hamish

hamish77

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:23:13 pm »
Hi Umberto

It seems to be fixed.. basically my system likes me to install the sceneries one by one rebooting each time then installing the addon manager. If I try to install them together that is when I get the problems. One question when you are using the installer is it not downloading the addon manager at the end when it connects to the internet?

Many Thanks

Hamish

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:03:29 pm »
One question when you are using the installer is it not downloading the addon manager at the end when it connects to the internet?

Yes, it does, but only the most crucial files, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager contains all the files needed so, it's usually a more thorough update.