Author Topic: AF2 Request  (Read 7980 times)

M-Sauce

AF2 Request
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:55:24 pm »
Hello FSDT.

I understand that a new AFCAD is being designed for ORD with tweaks to fix some issues. I was wondering if it would be possible to reduce the amount of nodes at turns and intersections.

I looked at the AFCAD and saw that there are nodes used to make the taxi line in AFCAD follow the actual taxiway centerline in the airport. The problem I've found with this in AF2s I've made is that aircraft make their nosewheel follow the line, often taxiing onto the grass/shoulder (especially pronounced with long aircraft like the B744, B773, and A346).

By simply placing the nodes in the middle of the intersection, or the corner of the turn, the aircraft make the turn more accurately and with all wheels on the pavement.

Hopefully what I've said makes some sense, it is kind of hard to describe. If need be, I can try and post some pics of what I'm trying to say.

Mariano

Dimon

Re: AF2 Request
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:07:50 pm »
By simply placing the nodes in the middle of the intersection, or the corner of the turn, the aircraft make the turn more accurately and with all wheels on the pavement.

True. However, you have to keep in mind that "simple" intersection creates massive AI traffic jams and that's proven fact since 2003-2004. I have no idea why harspi is deliberately and constantly (since EHAM) against learning "diamond box" technique that significantly ease traffic flow in large airports. KORD is another example of his totally unexplanatory tactic.

i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:05:48 pm »

True. However, you have to keep in mind that "simple" intersection creates massive AI traffic jams and that's proven fact since 2003-2004. I have no idea why harspi is deliberately and constantly (since EHAM) against learning "diamond box" technique that significantly ease traffic flow in large airports. KORD is another example of his totally unexplanatory tactic.

What do you mean by diamond box technique? so, you said that my technique is not a good one, as I understood...  ::)

harpsi

Danthepilot

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 04:36:37 am »
How is the new AFCAD coming along Harpsi??

harpsi

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:56:16 am »
How is the new AFCAD coming along Harpsi??

We are working on it. As soon as I have news, I will be back to you.  ;)

harpsi

M-Sauce

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:34:12 am »
I don't know about no diamond texhnique, maybe it would be better for everyone if you explained what it is. I find from all the work that I saw "harpsi" put in to LSZH that if he knows of a better way he would certainly use it. But maybe I'm wrong.

What I do is make sure that there are nodes all along the takiways, at least every 50 meters or so (I eyeball it really, nothing precise). This gives aircraft a chance to "think" more often. In my experience it seems that aircraft think when they go over nodes, so if something has changed from the original taxi instruction (ie, an aircraft taxies of an active runway), then the aircraft will have a chance to "think" about the next move instead of just blindly plowghing into other traffic or just plainly blocking it.

That has been my experience.  :) Keep up the great work Harpsi. I certainly wouldn't want to have a go at KORD's AF2.

Mariano

10FootLine

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:45 am »
If I'm not mistaken, the diamond box technique is where a sort of diamond looking shape is formed with nodes ,eliminating the center node,at an intersection between the runway and a major taxiway where planes will turn off say 95% of the time. It works well with parallel runway setups by letting planes cross a parallel runway without holding short and apparently helping planes turn off faster. I personally never tried or heard of this use before. I'm by no means an AFCAD guru so ill let someone else explain the technical aspects, but it is easy to learn and works quite effectively. It came up a couple years back on the old PAI forums.