Author Topic: Work in Progress / 11  (Read 99696 times)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Work in Progress / 11
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:11 am »
Not to be a party-pooper or anything here guys, but are people even allowed to use copywritten music on a for profit company website? (without paying money, which would probably be quite a bit considering the level of fame of the bands/songs)

I don't know, but people aren't supposed to share their product keys with their buddies so they dont have to purchase software, but they do it anyways, just like you guys.

I am with a team called Touch and Go Films, and we make flight sim videos especially for FSDT.  The vice president of TAGF offered me the program with a registration key.  Now I already owned several other airports like JFK, KLAS, OHare, Ft Lauderdale etc....  When he gave me the key on skype for KDFW, I copied it and pasted it in the registration window.  

....Now was I wrong to use Spencer's key which he claimed to be authorized to give out to me since Im part of Touch and Go Films.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:53:07 am by cmpbllsjc »

dsflyerds

• Beta tester
    • Virtual Aviation Experience
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2011, 04:13:21 am »
Not to be a party-pooper or anything here guys, but are people even allowed to use copywritten music on a for profit company website? (without paying money, which would probably be quite a bit considering the level of fame of the bands/songs)
FSDT is not profiting from the music on their site. They are selling LAX scenery not the songs to go with it :P

max767

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 05:48:03 am »
Konbanwa Newmanix San. Right now I am in Tokyo so I cannot answer your call. Hope you are well! I will call when I return......maybe a couple more days. Take care for now.

TouchandGoFilms

• Touch and Go Films
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:40 am »
@cmpbllsjc:
I will write this with as much respect as I can, and there is not much left for you.

You have no room to make such accusations about my company with no background.  We make videos to promote the products for FSDT.  When supplied with the key by an owner of FSDT, Marc was assigned the video, so he was provided the key.  How else do you expect him to make the video?  As a "hero member" with over 700 posts, I would expect you to show respect to other members, and know how to act on a forum, however, this is CLEARLY not the case.  I would appreciate you not defaming the name of my company any more, and recommend you treat this as a fair, and kind warning.

Thanks.
Slade Mitchell
Owner of Touch and Go Films
www.touchandgofilms.com

marcanthonystorm

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:10 am »
Allow me to clarify when I posted that message it was to receive help for a scenery that I was suppose to make for FSDT.  The scenery was not given for my own personal enjoyment but to produce a video.  Furthermore, I am an actual paying customer and have paid the dollar amount required to own FSDT KDFW.  I dont have a borrowed copy but an original authentic copy and I have the receipt as such proof.  Hope that puts this all to rest.

Respectfully
Marc Anthony Gonzalez

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 02:01:53 pm »
FSDT is not profiting from the music on their site. They are selling LAX scenery not the songs to go with it.

They may not be selling the music, but it is being used to promote their scenery.  Unless it is royalty free music, they need to license it.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

global express

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »
I posted this in the FlyTampa forums, I think it's very relevant for those FSX users who constantly belittle FS9.

Quote from: Global Express
I understand the difficult decision you're faced with. The problem with FSX for a lot of current FS9 users (me included) is the hit by AI. For some reason, FSX seems to handle dense AI traffic far worse than FS9, and performance seems to take a big hit. Back in 2008, I splashed out on a new system that could easily handle FSX, only to find that it couldn't handle everything all at once (by that I mean: Scenery, Aircraft, AI and Weather).

With regards to discontinuing FS9... This is where market share comes into play. There are many thousands of us FS9 users (me included) who dedicate hours and hours on enhancing and perfecting AI (I'm part of the UltimateGA team btw). For us, years and years have been spent developing our FlightSims, and jumping ship is a decision that would cause heart ache and many sleepless nights!

Tackling this issue aggressively like FSDT have decided to do is not the answer, and I'm sure after they see FS9 KLAX sales, questions will be asked. They seem to think that cutting out FS9 users completely will be better... well, that maybe for productivity, but it sure as hell won't be best for business.

In some heated discussions I had with Mathijs of Aerosoft, he was hinting sales percentages were roughly a 60/40 split in favour of FSX...... Well... 40%... that is a huge chunk! Especially when it's converted into revenue, cash in the bank, and food on the table.

I know for a fact that Aerosoft were hoping to completely cut out FS9... but they've had to back track on this decision. When Nice X was released... Mathijs was totally arrogant, ignorant and very rude in his replies at requests for an FS9 version. Well... what happens a year later... an FS9 version is released!

Whichever decision you make, I know it won't be taken lightly. Having recently seen Orbx's latest technology breakthroughs and their latest scenery of..... a shed?....  :D ... I can understand how FS9 must be holding you back creatively, but as long as we are here in numbers, I can't see how it's feasible to stop FS9 completely, when hundreds upon hundreds of FS9 copies could be sold. It's a totally understandable that FS9 versions will have to be stripped back, and won't feature any of the FSX eye candy, but as long as there is a market, there is a product.

Hope this gives you another angle on things from an FS9 perspective.

Many thanks for your time,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:56:49 pm by global express »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »
I posted this in the FlyTampa forums, I think it's very relevant for those FSX users who constantly belittle FS9.

Apart for the supposedly bad FSX performances argument, which is now obsolete, and our supposed "aggressivity" about dealing with this issue, which is of course wrong, since we are still supporting FS9, and we couldn't think of a smoother transition on our side (it's taking *years*, so much for "aggressivity"...) it's all looks reasonable, of course the market is always the main driving factor, otherwise we would have stopped on FS9 a long time ago.

However, it's always a question of finding the balancing point: it's one thing to take a standard FSX scenery and just "strip" features to convert it to FS9, but it's entirely different redoing it from scratch because, as it's being made, by just stripping features that FS9 doesn't support, it would look like crap JUST to serve the FS9 market, which is a minority right now BECAUSE, in the SAME time we rebuild such scenery from scratch, we could do ANOTHER scenery.

At a certain point, there are diminishing returns, and the time/effort it takes to convert for FS9 might become more than doing another product. We WERE able to keep the conversion time very low up to now, but this has held back our FSX development because we had to design in FSX to be easily convertible in FS9 right from the start, and this means lowering the quality in FSX and giving the out the wrong idea that than others that haven't discovered anything, but are simply using FSX to do what is supposed to do (even if all they do are sheds and cabins) are ahead of us, and this is just not right because, if we don't keep moving forward and improve, we'll eventually go the way of the Dodo without even realizing it.

There ARE technical issues which are creating us real problems, it's not a "political" decision, and we are STILL scratching our heads trying to find a way to make such conversion to FS9 possible, without losing too much quality, but it's not easy at all, and on top of that, there's a Cloud9 version which we sell that works well and looks quite good even today.

All of this, just to say that we haven't changed a bit our position on KLAX for FS9, since it was first announced:

- We'll try to do our best to convert it for FS9 BUT, if it will look like crap (meaning, worse than the Cloud9 version), it's no use doing it. No, we don't have any intention of releasing something that doesn't look right to us and let users decide, because it's always here that users will come for complaints and we have a reputation of quality.

So, regardless of what anyone might think, we still have NOT reached a decision about this, we are still at the phase of speculating HOW we might do a reasonable FS9 version, but the final decision will be made only when we can see something in FS9. Since the FSX version is not done yet, we haven't done any test on FS9 right now, it's all theoretical discussions we are having internally.

The only thing decided, is the FSX version will be released immediately as it's done, because it's just not fair towards FSX users holding back a release, just because we are busy with what might be a complex FS9 conversion.

The announcement whether there will be an FS9 version or not, will be made after the FSX version would go on sale and after we took our time to do all our tests in FS9. Up to that time, don't assume anything, and don't assume from all my previous post, that we might have already decided, because we haven't. As I've explained already, the one and only reason for those posts, was to EXPLAIN why it's so difficult for us to do an FS9 version this time.

And, don't forget we have different people working on sceneries at the same time, we might even find a somewhat compromise solution, which is keep supporting FS9 with one team only, even if we would eventually skip KLAX because, as I've said, the decision is not political or reflects any "policy" we have towards FS9, it's just a consequence of the specific technical issues we are facing due to how KLAX has been designed.

member111222

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »

Quote from: Global Express
I understand the difficult decision you're faced with. The problem with FSX for a lot of current FS9 users (me included) is the hit by AI. For some reason, FSX seems to handle dense AI traffic far worse than FS9, and performance seems to take a big hit. Back in 2008, I splashed out on a new system that could easily handle FSX, only to find that it couldn't handle everything all at once (by that I mean: Scenery, Aircraft, AI and Weather).

With regards to discontinuing FS9... This is where market share comes into play. There are many thousands of us FS9 users (me included) who dedicate hours and hours on enhancing and perfecting AI (I'm part of the UltimateGA team btw). For us, years and years have been spent developing our FlightSims, and jumping ship is a decision that would cause heart ache and many sleepless nights!

Tackling this issue aggressively like FSDT have decided to do is not the answer, and I'm sure after they see FS9 KLAX sales, questions will be asked. They seem to think that cutting out FS9 users completely will be better... well, that maybe for productivity, but it sure as hell won't be best for business.

In some heated discussions I had with Mathijs of Aerosoft, he was hinting sales percentages were roughly a 60/40 split in favour of FSX...... Well... 40%... that is a huge chunk! Especially when it's converted into revenue, cash in the bank, and food on the table.

I know for a fact that Aerosoft were hoping to completely cut out FS9... but they've had to back track on this decision. When Nice X was released... Mathijs was totally arrogant, ignorant and very rude in his replies at requests for an FS9 version. Well... what happens a year later... an FS9 version is released!

Whichever decision you make, I know it won't be taken lightly. Having recently seen Orbx's latest technology breakthroughs and their latest scenery of..... a shed?....  :D ... I can understand how FS9 must be holding you back creatively, but as long as we are here in numbers, I can't see how it's feasible to stop FS9 completely, when hundreds upon hundreds of FS9 copies could be sold. It's a totally understandable that FS9 versions will have to be stripped back, and won't feature any of the FSX eye candy, but as long as there is a market, there is a product.

Hope this gives you another angle on things from an FS9 perspective.

Many thanks for your time,
Alex

And in the future you want all sceneries for FS9, FSX, Flight and X Plane 10? ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:12 pm »
@cmpbllsjc:
I will write this with as much respect as I can, and there is not much left for you.

You have no room to make such accusations about my company with no background.  We make videos to promote the products for FSDT.  When supplied with the key by an owner of FSDT, Marc was assigned the video, so he was provided the key.  How else do you expect him to make the video?  As a "hero member" with over 700 posts, I would expect you to show respect to other members, and know how to act on a forum, however, this is CLEARLY not the case.  I would appreciate you not defaming the name of my company any more, and recommend you treat this as a fair, and kind warning.

Thanks.

Fair enough, maybe you two aren't the "sharing type" I thought you were. Mark's post led me to believe otherwise, especially since you two are high school kids.

You can spare me the drama with the rest of your post.  ::)

SirIsaac726

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 08:08:56 pm »
especially since you two are high school kids.

Well that's insulting and I have no affiliation with Touch and Go.  I'm no longer in high school but when I was, I would hope people would have the decency to not judge me by being in high school.  I like to think that I was quite mature for my age and when I see comments like this that just dismisses someone as being "just another high school kid," it is rather rude.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:02:15 pm by SirIsaac726 »

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
It's wonderful that the teams are making the effort. We (I) are grateful for that. Thank you Umberto!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:57:28 pm by virtuali »

sjt375

• Flight Director
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 11:34:55 pm »
especially since you two are high school kids.

Well that's insulting and I have no affiliation with Touch and Go.  I'm no longer in high school but when I was, I would hope people would have the decency to not judge me by being in high school.  I like to think that I was quite mature for my age and when I see comments like this that just dismisses someone as being "just another high school kid," it is rather rude.

Thank you, now can we get over this drama and enjoy the fact that FSDreamteam is making an incredible scenery?

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 11:51:55 pm »

He'll survive Isaac. Being dismissed as a high school kid isn't that damaging, there's a lot of things worse than that. But you know, kids will be kids.

Thank you, now can we get over this drama and enjoy the fact that FSDreamteam is making an incredible scenery?

I agree with the "Director"  :-*

Let's move on - 3-2-1 Action............

TouchandGoFilms

• Touch and Go Films
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2011, 12:18:10 am »
Agreed, however, I thank you for making it very easy for me to make a first impression on you sir.  ::)

You just can't let it go can you.  Moving on :)

EDIT: Spelling error
Slade Mitchell
Owner of Touch and Go Films
www.touchandgofilms.com