Author Topic: Work in Progress / 11  (Read 99476 times)

pvupilot

Re: Work in Progress / 11
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 08:54:47 pm »
...I love that you are pushing the ladder with quality in flight simualtion Umberto. I do. But for me, FSX is just too gameish. So we hope you will be able to give us a good looking LAX for FS9 because if Flight turns out to be another game like platform, i'll skip that too. Besides, people like have so much to choose from between scenery and aircraft in FS9, we honestly can keep this up for years. Honestly, most of us with jobs, school, and family are lucky to get in a few hours a week if that and FS9 supplies the need very well...

Couldn't say it better myself!

Silverbird

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
Look's awesome fsdt! loving the bump mapping and other effects.  :)
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

cwilson241

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 09:18:09 pm »
...I love that you are pushing the ladder with quality in flight simualtion Umberto. I do. But for me, FSX is just too gameish. So we hope you will be able to give us a good looking LAX for FS9 because if Flight turns out to be another game like platform, i'll skip that too. Besides, people like have so much to choose from between scenery and aircraft in FS9, we honestly can keep this up for years. Honestly, most of us with jobs, school, and family are lucky to get in a few hours a week if that and FS9 supplies the need very well...

Couldn't say it better myself!
Well said...not bashing...I just agree. 

DJJose

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »
"Dude, U have no idea what U are saying... I have been flowing FS) since 05 and have spend lot of money on this product. Why on earth should I start all over now? when MS flight is right around the corner.
If FSDT won't make a FS9 version of LAX, they will lose me."
 :(    

If history is any indication, then you will have to start all over with Flight. If you don't have the system to run FSX, you probably don't have the system to run Flight. As for the I have no idea, I've been there and done that, so realistically, I know what it takes to make the transition from version to newer version.

This is all in fun.  ;D
Jose

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:43 pm »
"Dude, U have no idea what U are saying... I have been flowing FS) since 05 and have spend lot of money on this product. Why on earth should I start all over now? when MS flight is right around the corner.

If history is any indication, then you will have to start all over with Flight. If you don't have the system to run FSX, you probably don't have the system to run Flight. As for the I have no idea, I've been there and done that, so realistically, I know what it takes to make the transition from version to newer version.

This is all in fun.  ;D
Jose

Take a look at my spec and shut up  >:( I can run fsx without any problems, but I won't. U better respect that, Sir. It' still a free world right?
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

theshack440

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:27 pm »
Very interesting to see the comparison Umberto!

I hope we get a video of KLAX soon (if not release  :D)

Regards
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 10:24:48 pm »
So Even though it's clear the FS9 version of FSDT's LAX wont be as good as FSX, it will still be very good. And the FS9 Athens by FT is exactly the quality us FS9ners expect.

You are missing the point, my comparison was made just to explain why KLAX for FSX is unique, and why it will be difficult to convert to FS9.

If we simply took out bump mapping and specular mapping, and convert it to FS9, the whole scenery will look like the roofs or the doors which I've labeled "FS9 style". Without even mentioning that, we raised the number of polygons so much, that we don't even know if the FS9 compiler will take them, or even if the FS9 exporter will export, and even if they would, we don't even know how FS9 would react with so many polygons throwed at it, it's really a shot in the dark.

It's the look and feel of FSX I don't like. It just feels like a game to me. Even the real life motion simulators such as CAE don't have gaphics and textures like FSX. They are more similar to FS9. And yes, I have flown in them with video to prove it.

FSX itself doesn't have any "game" look, unless you are referring to the style of the default scenery but, who use default scenery anyways ? The engine is more CAPABLE, the final look depends what developers do with it, you can obtain a gamey look or not, depending what the developer does, not how the sim is done.

About professional FFS scenery, they might be more or less outdated, but just because their update cycles are way slower than consumer hardware, you don't upgrade such expensive hardware just to get better textures, but they DO get better graphic eventually.

When I used to fly FFS at Alitalia, in late 90's, MS Flight sim 98 already used 3DFX accelerated and filtered textures, while the MD80 FFS used technology from the 80's without *any* texture mapping, with less than 256-colors flat polygons, but the newest A321 sim was already 2-3 generations better and had textures so, in a few years even professional FFS *will* look like FSX now, that wouldn't make them any less professional then they are because, as I've said, it's not what the engine can do that makes it gamey, it's how it's being used by those that creates the scenery.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:27:28 pm by virtuali »

jackhendricks

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 10:33:41 pm »
To be honest i dont really care how lacking the FS9 version will be compared to the FSX version. As long as it doesnt scoop down to Blue Prints level  ;D , I think that most FS9 users, myself included, will be thrilled with the scenery that you have created!  ;).

Anders Bermann

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »
Correct... But the bar is not the BluePrint scenery...
It's the old Cloud9 KLAX scenery... which to my knowledge is looking quite good... Will be exciting to see, how this new KLAX scenery will take out in FS9...

Although after reading Umberto's post, it will some job of porting it... If it even CAN be done...
Best regards, Anders

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:20 am »
True. You make a very good point. Back then Airbus was way ahead of the ball on that. Lets just hope the polygons will convert over... If they do, would the worst case senario be that you would have to retexture the entire airport?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:07:09 am by virtuali »

DJJose

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 03:51:27 am »

This is all in fun.  ;D
Jose

Take a look at my spec and shut up  >:( I can run fsx without any problems, but I won't. U better respect that, Sir. It' still a free world right?

That's a great system you have. You're doing the judicious thing. Stick with FS9.

jackhendricks

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:49 am »
It's the old Cloud9 KLAX scenery... which to my knowledge is looking quite good... Will be exciting to see, how this new KLAX scenery will take out in FS9...

Although after reading Umberto's post, it will some job of porting it... If it even CAN be done...

Well if worse comes worse then maybe they could update the cloud9 with the new TBIT terminal

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 09:54:38 am »

Well if worse comes worse then maybe they could update the cloud9 with the new TBIT terminal

Yes and make it AES compatible
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:29 am »

That's out of the question, if we can't port to FS9 for any reason, the Cloud9 version will remain as it is now, and this was said right from the start, before work on the new scenery started.

Dimon

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 01:36:10 pm »
My money is on FS2004 version as always.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.