Author Topic: The Cool Video Thread  (Read 251235 times)

MikeB54

Re: The Cool Video Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2011, 02:01:00 am »
One of the things my son told me was that it drove him crazy when I was doing an approach in the sim and would go 5 seconds or more without moving the throttle.  He flew one while I watched and he never stopped moving the controls.  Not quite as much as in the video, but he was always doing something. I have tried to pick up the technique and my approaches have gotten better.

Mike

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:24 pm »
Some reasons for 'stick stirring' for Hornets/Super Hornets as seen in recent videos on this thread, from two LSO Newsletters, contained in attached .DOC file [2.2Mb]. If any troubles with the .DOC file it has been made into a .PDF also [0.7Mb]

The two files have been slightly changed to reflect the URL change as seen below

‘Paddles monthly’ Oct 2010
http://www.hrana.org/documents/PaddlesMonthlyOctober2010.pdf  [1.1Mb]
Rhino Flying!!!
&
‘Paddles monthly’ Nov 2010
http://www.hrana.org/documents/NewsletterNovember2010.pdf  [1.4Mb]
ATC and Me
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:05:10 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

micro

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 02:46:08 am »
I sent this video to an acquainence of mine who flies the Super Hornet. He says that the stick movement is accurate and, as Spaz's post showed, it is the way the aircraft is designed. "In previous aircraft there was very little "north/south" movement of the stick behind the boat because you should be trimmed on speed. But in the Rhino/Growler there is just as much north/south movement on the stick as there is east/west."

MikeB54

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »
This weekend a decided to watch, again, a DVD that my son gave me for Christmas a few years ago.  It's called Speed and Angels.  It's a true story about the path of two Naval Aviators as they go through the qualification process for the F-14 Tomcat.  There is some great flying footage in it as well as a lot of footage from around the boat.  I enjoy it every time I watch it.  If you can't get your hands on the DVD it is also available on Hulu.

Mike

K6952

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »
 I'll take this opportunity to plug our new promo video  :D

-Rabbit
"Flaring to land is like squatting to pee"

WWW.FSXCarrierOps.Com

SUBS17

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 12:54:10 am »
Cool Movie.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2011, 07:22:37 am »
Micro...

Thanks for the input, always good to get the real world dope on things.

Mike...

You mean this video? Yeah, I'll probly get it at some point but in the meantime, if you wanna check it out, the dogfighting and carrier quals are the best watch. Was it me, or did the Tomcat seem to LOVE doing Split-S maneuvers? I can see it if its from an energy management standpoint... gotta use gravity to help the lift vector.

Also, look at part 5, about 1:00 and look at the stick movement, very little north/south its mostly east/west. So now we can see why Micro was skeptical.

Enjoy.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:42:34 am by Sludge »

SUBS17

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2011, 11:02:01 pm »
So when the FCS is in PA mode I take it the stick input must be dumbed down to make small corrections the F-16 has a similar mode for inflight refuelling in its FCS. BTW wouldn't East/West/North/South movement be dependent on what the aircraft is actually doing rather than some sort of oscillation(like what you do when in a departure in F-16 with MO switch on you use that pattern for a reason as you have absolutely no control where as the above video represents a pilot in control making micro adjustments for his approach).

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 06:09:00 am »
SUBS...

So when the FCS is in PA mode I take it the stick input must be dumbed down to make small corrections

From everything I've heard, thats not the case. I've asked that specific question to a real-world Hornet driver and his direct answer was "the Hornet doesnt change its response in any flight regime".

BTW wouldn't East/West/North/South movement be dependent on what the aircraft is actually doing rather than some sort of oscillation(like what you do when in a departure in F-16 with MO switch on you use that pattern for a reason as you have absolutely no control where as the above video represents a pilot in control making micro adjustments for his approach).

Again, I dont think this is the case with the Hornet, either in PA or UA flight modes. After reading Spaz' posts, it seems highly unlikely that either Hornet FCS have that logic. The reason I put that Tomcat video in there is to compare/contrast it with the Super Hornet (statically unstable; according to that link's paper) and lots of movement vs. the Tomcat and legacy Hornet (statically stable; and trimmed) that require more working of the throttle instead of north/south stick movements. I mean, yes there are a few north/south movements in the Tomcat but very few in comparison to the Super video where it looked like the pilot was all over the place with the stick.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:24:00 am by Sludge »

SUBS17

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 07:54:25 pm »
I'll have to read the SH NATOPs again there is some interesting stuff there on the FCS I have since forgotten although mostly it was regarding trim was why I read it a while back.(while landing etc)

SUBS17

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44:18 am »
My latest video some carrierops with AW using T45s.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:18:29 am by SUBS17 »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 03:28:45 am »
Here's a 1963 cool movie about the LSO:
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »
Nice find Serge.

I thought it was funny how they state in the video that the LSO sets the fresnel lens to a 4 degree glideslope, and 20 to 25 seconds is the correct groove time. Looks like old carrier aviation was setup like our FSX flying ;D

-CAPT

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

GOONIE

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »
Some more cool high quality cockpit videos in the super hornet, fast forward to the times I suggest for viewing pleasure.

Good HUD tape at 1:01 for launch and 3:08 for landing (also good slow motion beginning and end of video)

2:21 for some low level flying (also see some stick movements) then 2:52 landing (look how he takes his hands off the stick and throttle at 2:59  :o)

Night HUD tape at 3:54 and some good PLAT

Carrier break at 5:05

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Orion

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 09:45:29 am »