Author Topic: New Ram adds problems  (Read 6376 times)

aircanadajet

New Ram adds problems
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:59 pm »
Hi Umberto, and everybody else. I just wanted to get some help. I installed 16GB of ram in my computer yesterday and I started noticing that airports are not loading at all. I've noticed it on Honolulu so far in several occasions. I am not sure why is this? I also installed some sounds from Flightone, and the KSFO airport recently, but I am not sure why would this cause a problem for your airports. Is there any way to rebuilt my library or move up FSDT to the top? I am confused as I have everything max up within FSX so it should be a setting, I don't think.... any thoughts?..

UPDATE: for what is worth, the problem persists on any major airport. It is almost like my computer can't handled anything!! So it is not only Honululu in particular. Is just any major airport that makes my computer behave that way. My specs: 16GB RAM. GeForce GTX 460 1024 MB video card. Phenom II X2 3.2 Ghz.... Any ideas? It drives me crazy that I can't do anything!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:52:18 am by aircanadajet »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: New Ram adds problems
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:56 am »
First, you should take into account that, even with a 64 bit OS, as long as you are running 32 bit apps (FSX and all its addons are 32 bit apps), you can't use more than 4GB per application.

Which means, an FSX fully loaded with addons will be forever binded into those 4GB, regardless of how much ram you put in. Addons that run as external .EXE files (like our own Couatl, for example) don't count into this limit, because each one can allocate its own address space, up to 4GB each, but many of the most demanding addons are in-process .DLL or .GAU, so they share the 4GB-maximum that FSX can use and, even if they are external .EXE files, when they allocated objects or do anything else using Simconnect, the objects they create and the things they do, happens inside the FSX memory space.

This means, expanding 16GB to use a 32 application, it's a waste. Of course, Windows can use the remaining memory for caching, speeding performances somewhat, but at that point you would be better served with an SSD drive than with additional memory.

Other than that, I don't see why you would have problems with 16GB, other than problems with your BIOS that has settings on RAM used or perhaps bugs with large quantities of memory OR you are using Windows 7 Home Basic, which can't allocate more than 8GB by design.

aircanadajet

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:26:31 pm »
OMG what a disaster! I didn't know all of this! I am a Mac user and I am used to things just to work!! ::) So basically I don't have a choice but return the RAM? or can you think of any tweaks that would make my computer decent? Right now I am having problems with only big airports, (OMG LAX!) I am running REX, UT2, and ultimate terrain North America. I don't understand is that there are users that never have issues, in fact they always say that their FSX running smoothly like a butter.... etc. I don't understand how can they do that? I thought that by upgrading your computer it will just be faster and not being limited by a software? isn't this a little ridiculous? Please Umberto think of something!!! :'(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »
OMG what a disaster! I didn't know all of this! I am a Mac user and I am used to things just to work!! ::)

I'm a Mac user too, even if one of my Macs mostly run Windows nowadays (just because of Flight Sim)...

So basically I don't have a choice but return the RAM?

If your system didn't had problems with less RAM, it's probably the best option and, with the money buy an SSD hard drive THAT will really help. More than 6GB it's probably overkill for FSX.

Also, there's the issue of DDR3 memory working best in multiples of 3 (triple-channel), which means 6GB it's usually faster then 8GB. This is valid for Macs too, no wonder the MacPro comes with 3 or 6GB standard.

I don't understand is that there are users that never have issues, in fact they always say that their FSX running smoothly like a butter.... etc. I don't understand how can they do that?

First, try this site here:

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Which will analyse your FSX config and create an optimized version based on your system, it's free, and it's worth trying first.

If you are still having problems, maybe your system has more serious issues. In this case, you can try this service:

http://fs-gs.com/

It's a pay service, but from what I've heard, the guy is a very knowledgeable professional, which will guide you to a complete system check and optimization for FSX.

aircanadajet

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:02:04 pm »
Dear Umberto you are a Lifesaver! That web link you sent me did the trick (the first one)!!........ I have to deal with the sound now, can you believe it? One thing is fixed and now there is something else!! :'( the engine noise is crunchy! but it goes away when I reload the plane... comes back within a few minutes, even the ATC voice gets crunchy.... Any idea? Also, what if I decided to keep the RAM, thinking ahead when FLIGHT comes out it will be a 64 bit app right?.... or wouldn't it be? By keeping the RAM am I causing more problems, or is there such a thing as having too much RAM is okay?
Anynoodles, thanks for the help so far!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:42:34 pm by aircanadajet »

aircanadajet

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:50:12 am »
I just wanted to report on my latest attempt to make my flight simulator better. For those who are experiencing problems and mostly bugs, and are not very familiar with Windows operating system and the way FSX works, you should definitely look into working with the people at fs-gs.com. For the last couple of days I was closely working with Michael, he is a very friendly and knowledgeable FSX guy. His way of working on your computer from his own office, it is truly an act worth seen. You just seat in your computer and watch him do all kinds of additions, complicated modification and mostly he sets up your computer accustomed to what your hardware is capable of handling. The experience was so worth the money, and finally I feel like I am flying a real simulator. Thanks Umberto for telling me about his services. Good bye.