Author Topic: g3d.dll error  (Read 15412 times)

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
g3d.dll error
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:22:34 am »
Awesome job on KORD, true artistic work gentlemen.  ;D

Just in case others come across this problem I figure I would post my findings.

I have FlyTampa's awesome KMDW installed and had O'Hare over top of it in the scenery CFG, if I did a flight from ORD to MDW I would get a G3d.dll CTD on finals into MDW.

To fix this I placed MDW above ORD in the scenery cfg and also the "chicago photo scenery" above both ORD and MDW.

In case anyone else has this problem.....

Dimon

Re: g3d.dll error
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:47 am »
What do you mean "above". The lesser the number in scenery.cfg the higher the level?
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:20:48 pm »
Like this......

PHOTO
MDW
OHARE

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:27:52 pm »
Like this......

PHOTO
MDW
OHARE

If this is how it looks like from inside the Scenery Libray menu in FS9, that's not a good arrangement, because Photoreal sceneries should be usually placed at a lower level than airports.

If, instead, this is the order of the scenery.cfg file, note that it's also important the Layer number and the Area number. Our installer automatically puts OHare as the topmost scenery, so it should appear on top in the Scenery Library menu, unless you move it, or install something else.

However, we tested the scenery with FT KMDW, and found no issues, except for the fact that our installer renames (and informs you of this) the FT's kord_tweak.bgl file, that is not needed anymore, but if it's active excludes lots of ground objects at KORD.

Dimon

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:41:53 pm »
Since I also use UT USA, I have removed photo scenery at all, because it hurts me esthetically. :D. Ultimate Terrain (USA, Canada, Europe) has the highest priority in my FS2004
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

b742f

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:50:58 pm »
how do you remove the photo scenery?

Dimon

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 07:46:40 pm »
Change "Active=True" to "Active=False"

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »
Like this......

PHOTO
MDW
OHARE

If this is how it looks like from inside the Scenery Libray menu in FS9, that's not a good arrangement, because Photoreal sceneries should be usually placed at a lower level than airports.

If, instead, this is the order of the scenery.cfg file, note that it's also important the Layer number and the Area number. Our installer automatically puts OHare as the topmost scenery, so it should appear on top in the Scenery Library menu, unless you move it, or install something else.

However, we tested the scenery with FT KMDW, and found no issues, except for the fact that our installer renames (and informs you of this) the FT's kord_tweak.bgl file, that is not needed anymore, but if it's active excludes lots of ground objects at KORD.

I know this goes against the normal order of things in the scenery cfg, BUT...

Example.....

Fly Tampa suggests that you place the default Seattle Photo above the airport scenery (I know this goes against normal order). So I gave it a try in Chicago to try to get rid of the DLL error I was getting.

As I said, I was getting a DLL error when doing a short flight from ORD to MDW until I made these arrangments in my scenery CFG. Now with these setting all is well.

Just a tip for you Dimon, UT should be the lowest priority in the cfg. This way it should not clash with anything with a custom Land Class. It may not pertain to ORD but other scenery it might.

_Dre_

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:55:12 pm »
Like this......

PHOTO
MDW
OHARE

My installer didn't inform me of any change. I also just checked my MDW scenery folder and "kord_tweak.bgl" is still there. If I disable it manually by renaming it will that have the same effect as what the installer was supposed to do?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:18:52 pm by _Dre_ »
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:31:19 pm »
My installer didn't inform me of any change. I also just checked my MDW scenery folder and "kord_tweak.bgl" is still there

Perhaps you changed the layer name for FT Midway ? In that case, that's probably why the installer didn't picked up: it searches for it in scenery.cfg by area name, it doesn't look for that file in all your hard drives (will take too long)

If I disable it manually by renaming it will that have the same effect as what the installer was supposed to do?

Yes, anything different that *.bgl will do. The reason for that file was to replace the original default KORD jetways with versions with a lesser range, in order not to kill fps at KMDW. There's no use for it anymore, since our scenery exclude the default KORD anyway, but that file will make lots of ground objects at KORD to disappear, if not disabled.

_Dre_

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:59:12 am »
The only time I messed with MDW was earlier today when I tried the suggestion by Alstiff to put it above KORD in the scenery priority list inside FS. I also put Oliver's temp AF2 file in place just before FS startup. The results were very disturbing; some atrocious looking jetways(I guess they were the default), and terminals out of place. I then put MDW back where it was on the list, redownloaded KORD (because I deleted the original Afcad), removed Oliver's afcad, and reinstalled KORD. Even during the reinstall it still didn't inform me of anything but that's ok, I'll just go disable it manually now.
Andre-FS9
AES Super User.