Author Topic: Really sorry, here's another no building issue I can't resolve.  (Read 7097 times)

carbon

Hi there,

I've been using Geneva in FSX for around 8 months without issues and then I suddenly have the no terminal building problem. All ground textures / cars and jetways are visible and I also have a 1 second pause/stutter every 3 seconds ( this stops when I fly over the mountain range to the north and south).

I have done the following

Un-installed and reinstalled Geneva - didn't work
un-installed again and downloaded the latest add-on management software - reinstalled Geneva and then started the new add-on management software to make sure it's all up to date - didn't work

I noticed that the couati section wasn't there in the add-on drop down in fsx, so I closed fsx double clicked the couatl.exe file in the fsdreamteam folder and it returned, great! but still no buildings.

The Add-on manager is present and Geneva is activated, and I noticed XPOI was installed, probably irrelevant and I'm not sure what it is.

I have backed up and deleted the DLL.xml restarted fsx - didn't work

Looked in the exe.xml and the couatl.exe path is present

I don't have anti-virus installed so that's not blocking it

Firewall is not blocking anything related

There's no error file in the Appdata/roaming/Virtuali folder

I'm out of ideas - any help out there, I would appreciate it as I love this add-on.

I'm using win7 x64bit and fsx is installed on a separate drive to avoid permissions problems

Carbon
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:33:34 pm by carbon »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Really sorry, here's another no building issue I can't resolve.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:22:51 pm »
I noticed that the couati section wasn't there in the add-on drop down in fsx!

That's the main issue, if there's no Couatl menu, buildings will not show.

I closed fsx double clicked the couatl.exe file in the fsdreamteam folder and it returned, great! but still no buildings.

That's normal, buildings will not show if you start it manually, it has to be started by FSX.

Now, it's really strange, and NOBODY ever reported it before, that you would be able to start it manually and see its menu (don't worry about the buildings, it's supposed to be like that), but not having FSX starting it automatically.

The only thing that I can think, is that you somewhere along the tries replied "NO" to the trusting question made by FSX, so it stored in the FSX.CFG this preference.

OR

You replied NO to the *Windows* trusting question, the one with the Yellow shield, so Windows won't run it anymore, but you can of course start it manually.

To fix the FSX question, REMOVE the scenery and (VERY IMPORTANT) reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?"

This will clear your FSX.CFG, now you reinstall the scenery, and pay attention you ARE being asked permission to run it again. Obviously reply YES to BOTH questions.

carbon

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:24:18 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled geneva, I clicked yes for all the pop-ups that were shown when I started FSX.

Still no buildings and the Couatl is not showing up in the add-on drop down. Is there any way I can get the Couatl to show up?

Is there anything else I can try?

Carbon

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »
Still no buildings and the Couatl is not showing up in the add-on drop down. Is there any way I can get the Couatl to show up?

Check if you have the following file:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.err

if you have it, post its content here.

carbon

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »
Thanks

I looked there and I have just run a search on my system for that file and it's not on my system.

However, I did manually run the couatl.exe while fsx was running and the buildings showed up. The problem seems to be that couatl.exe doesn't load automatically when fsx loads.

Is there a way to get that to happen?

Thanks for your help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:35:25 pm »
However, I did manually run the couatl.exe while fsx was running and the buildings showed up. The problem seems to be that couatl.exe doesn't load automatically when fsx loads.

This is really strange, to load an .EXE automatically, the only requirement would be having its entry listed in the EXE.XML file (found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX), and the installer will automatically take care of it.

In any case, you said you got the two Trust windows when you started FSX after a reinstall, which means FSX IS trying to run the Couatl program automatically, so your EXE.XML seems to be fine, unless you changed it somehow in the meantime.

Have you tried having a look at it ? Is the Couatl entry there ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:26:49 pm by virtuali »

carbon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »
Thank Umberto

Back on track, in case others have the same issue, this is what I did with the exe.xml file.

Opened the exe.xml and put in the full path for couatl,exe

This didn't work

Reopened the exe.xml and reverted back to fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe

...............and it works again!!!!.....very happy!!!

Thank you again for your support.

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:29:49 pm »
Back on track, in case others have the same issue, this is what I did with the exe.xml file.

Opened the exe.xml and put in the full path for couatl,exe

This didn't work

Reopened the exe.xml and reverted back to fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe

...............and it works again!!!!.....very happy!!!

Ok, that's explains it, when you edited it, maybe there was a problem with a long path name or a path name with spaces, or problem with backslashes/quotes, which is why our installer doesn't use an absolute path, but a relative to the FSX root ( fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe ), which is guaranteed not to give problems with pathnames.