Author Topic: FS does not start anymore  (Read 36439 times)

Cheeso

Re: FS does not start anymore
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
Are you sure this works with Vista 64bit as well? Here's my setup:

Vista Ultimate 64bit
Fs9.exe (SP1) patched for >2GB
Dep off with "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff"
Setup_adonmanager.exe V1.50

When addonmanager is installed, FS quits without showing any screens.
Uninstall addonmanager and fs starts normal again.

At this time I've uninstalled all cloud9 and fsdreamteam products.

Regards,
Gerhard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:47 pm »
Are you sure this works with Vista 64bit as well?

It should, although I must admit that Vista64 + FS9 + 2GB patch is a combination not many use and we might not have had the chance to test it.  Note that in the system requirements for the FS9 version, we don't explicitly list Vista 64 bit as supported so, it might work or not, but we don't advertise it as a 64 bit compatible product. That's why we have Trials...

As explained in the thread dedicated to the >2GB patch, you need to patch a nocd version of the FS9.EXE. If you patch and original (with CD check) FS9.EXE for >2GB, then install any of our products, they will not work, regardless of the OS.

After patching a nocd FS9.EXE for >2GB, you will need to run the installer again, to let it auto-detect which version you have and install the correct version.

Also, be sure you download the installer again, the initial release contained a wrong file that caused FS to quit at start, it has been fixed in the meantime.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:09:21 pm by virtuali »

Cheeso

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2008, 03:28:51 pm »
Thank you for your reply Umberto,

Would you mind helping me understand the current situation correctly please?
1. If one uses the >2GB patch on the official FS9.exe (sp1), then the addonmanager will not work. This is regardles which operating system one is using.
2. If one uses a cracked version of the FS9.exe and applies the >2Gb patch, then your addonmanager works on Xp and Vista 32bit. If I'm lucky, it might even work on Vista 64bit.

Regards,
Gerhard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2008, 03:34:22 pm »
Correct.

And each time you change or patch your FS9.EXE, you will need to run our installer, to give it the chance to detect which version of the FS9.EXE you have, and install the proper files.

The combination of FS9 + >2GB patch + original CD check EXE, will never work on any OS

None of this is relevant to FSX, both because FSX (starting with SP1) already officially supports >2GB, and because there's no CD protection on FSX to begin with
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:36:47 pm by virtuali »

Cheeso

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »
Thank you Umberto, all is clear now.

[Edit]
I can confirm that the FS9 No CD check EXE  + >2GB patch + Addonmanager works for Vista 64bit.

I just can't help wondering what Microsofts stance is on using the No cd FS9.exe?

Regards,
Gerhard
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:56:45 pm by Cheeso »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2008, 04:53:31 pm »
I just can't help wondering what Microsofts stance is on using the No cd FS9.exe?

I don't think there should be any issues at all, for a 4+ years product like FS9, as long as you use it for personal use and having legally bought FS9.

Strictly speaking, since the whole issue is triggered only in conjunction with the >2GB patch, there's not much difference between this patch the the nocd patch: both are user modifications of a number of bytes in the original EXE file, so they are both legally questionable, if one wants to stay to the letter of the law.

That's why we don't replace your FS9.EXE, we don't even patch it, but simply have the installer reacting to the EXE you already have.

I guess one of the reasons why Microsoft moved away from the CD protection in FSX, is because it creates a lot of troubles, and more support issues with customers asking for a replacement disk, due to the possible added wear because of the protection requirement.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 05:09:46 pm by virtuali »

Cheeso

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2008, 05:04:39 pm »
Thanks again for your answer Umberto!

If I remember correctly the modification of the fs9.exe also came up in Phil Taylor's blog when the OOM errors were explained. I think this even led to ACES applying the >2gb on FSX. Well, I'm happy I can use my products again. Thanks.

Regards,
Gerhard

Cheeso

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2008, 02:31:08 pm »
An update I'd like to share with users;

After turning off DEP via the "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff" command, FSUIPC version 3.80 had intermittent troubles with the code signature problem as Pete Dowson refers to over here http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=67994&sid=7879e832f7c81a4a3edfff71f4f28c13 and therefore FSUIPC was not working. After turning DEP back on via the "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin" command all is well. FSdreamteam, Cloud9, and FSUIPC are all working.

Regards,
Gerhard
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:57:37 pm by Cheeso »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2008, 05:26:55 pm »
Just a quick recap about DEP about our products:

- The FS9 version that works with the FS9.EXE with CD protection, doesn't work if DEP is active

- The FS9 version that works with the nocd FS9.EXE works with either DEP settings

- The FSX version doesn't have any issues of this kind, and works with either DEP setting.

hilds434

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 03:23:06 am »
Not sure if this is exactly what is causing the problem, but this works for me.

The problem seems to be seasonal, whenever I use Winter as a season, and it is during the "Day," the game simply quits.  Winter and Night appear to work ok, except the railings on the jetways and on the baggage loaders turns to a gray rectangle.  If used on Summer, O'Hare loads up just fine.

Again I really don't understand scenery modeling, but I do believe that there is some corrupt texture or .bgl file at fault here.

b742f

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »
how do I download and run the addon manager again? Where is the link to download the program? The only thing I've downloaded is the actual scenery installers. Do I have to run them again for each scenery?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 08:42:46 pm »
how do I download and run the addon manager again? Where is the link to download the program?

Each product page has links to downlod the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

The only thing I've downloaded is the actual scenery installers

If you download the installers after the 15th March, they already include a fixed Addon Manager as well so, either you run again a scenery installer you already have, or you download the Stand-alone Addon Manager, it's the same thing.

Do I have to run them again for each scenery?

No, just only once.

fd728

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2008, 06:53:58 pm »
Hello FSDreamTeam Crew,

I have just ran into the same problem as the others were experiencing.

I use Vista 32bit with the nocd 9.1 patch but no 2GIG patch.

I downloaded and installed O'Hare yesterday but since then FS just quits without error message. I even tried to manually update the three files in the modules folder, but it didn't cure the problem. Only thing that helps is to uninstall the Addon Manager from the Start Menu.

Would be great if you could help me since I'm dying to have this scenery.

Regards, Manuel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 07:20:17 pm »
If you have fs9.1 nocd and no >2GB patch, that's a different issue. I've double checked again, but the file download from the server it's okay and it's confirmed to work.

Please, try this:

- Remove all files starting with bglman* in the MODULES folder. Should be 3 .DAT files and one .DLL.

- Install the Stand-alone Addon Manager for FS9.