Author Topic: AI Traffic at KDCA  (Read 6927 times)

kiwiflyer

AI Traffic at KDCA
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:05 am »
I know this is an old product and tech support is limited but I wonder if anyone has a solution to the problem of AI traffic backing up because ATC only uses a single runway for take offs and landings? I used AFX to change the AF2 file so 01/19 would be closed for landings and 04/22 for takeoffs. The file is correctly modified but the behavior of the ATC doesn't change. I have checked for duplicates and there are none. Any suggestions? It's a great scenery and still up there with many cutting edge sceneries but would be a lot more enjoyable and realistic with more runway utilization...  :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: AI Traffic at KDCA
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:24:47 am »
I used AFX to change the AF2 file so 01/19 would be closed for landings and 04/22 for takeoffs. The file is correctly modified but the behavior of the ATC doesn't change.

The problem is, Flight sim ignores the closing of a secondary end of a runway if the primary is open so, you can only close a whole runway, not just one end. At DCA, a solution might be using the star technique to enable all runways.

Have a look here:

http://www.downloadcenter.scruffyduck.org.uk/

Under the "Tuturials/Airport Design" folder, you'll find a document named "Xwind Runway tutorial" which explains how to use the crosswind runways method.

kiwiflyer

Re: AI Traffic at KDCA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:13 pm »
Thanks Umberto. I will check it out. I truly didn't expect you to reply on here as I know this is an old product and you are really not responsible for it. I just thought maybe another user might see my post and have an idea. So thank you for taking the time to reply. If I can come up with a good solution (like a star AFCAD that works) I will post it on here so anyone else can use it. I think KDCA is one of the truly excellent and overlooked sceneries even as old as it is. Along with Megascenery Mid-Atlantic and the default DC objects, it really does make for a realistic and enjoyable experience.
Ian