Author Topic: FSX PHNL installation on a separate Harddisk of the same Computer  (Read 7135 times)

ikarus2010

Hi,
Problem with installing PHNL on my FSX. The version of the FSX where I want to install it is saved on a seperate SATA harddisk which is attached to the same computer. FSDT  PHNL installs itself only on the original FSX (in my case on the volume F) but I want it to install it on FSX (volume E) because the original FSX on F - which is a SSD harddisk - has  limited capacity. In fact, it is full already.

With Flusifix fs9 one can change the registry, but it is not possible with flusifix for FSX.

Question: why does FSDT not offer to browse the location of the FSX? All other products do this.

Please let me know how to install FSDT PHNL wherever I want.

Thanks a lot and best regards

Alfred

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX PHNL installation on a separate Harddisk of the same Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
With Flusifix fs9 one can change the registry, but it is not possible with flusifix for FSX.

That's not true, you can change the registry to point to any FSX installation in FSX, just like FS9, the only difference the keys are not exactly the same. The keys to check are the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0,SetupPath
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0,AppPath

Note that, if you use a 64 bit OS, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software path is located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432node instead.

Our sceneries will install in the location pointed by the registry, provided there IS an valid FSX installation there.

ikarus2010

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »
Hi Umberto,
first of all thanks that you always reply immediately to questions and problems.

1. I managed to get PHNL on the separated  HD (E) where is now my actual FSX. I simply copied the folder with the PHNL files from drive F to E. As I mentioned,  the installer puts the PHNL on F and not on E that can apparently not be changed as I wrote you. It has to be noted that the fsx.cfg is still in the original path as before when I used FSX on volume F. There is no problem to use FSX this way so far and that means that the FSX works well with the correct registry. but the rootfolder of FSX is now on E instead on F. The problem I had before when installing, I did not use the Addon manager.

2. I have now installed PHNL trial version with this Addon manager, paid it, got the key and the dialogbox says: "PHNL installed and activated" . But there is still a big problem.

3. PHNL is nowhere! A dialogbox shows  up "you have the wrong  version of PHNL" or something like that. This I do not understand, because I downloaded the latest trial version from the original FSDT website.

Umberto, what can be done to solve this problem?

Many thanks for your help and best regards

Alfred

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:15:50 am »
I simply copied t the folder with the PHNL files from drive F to E.

This won't work, the files for PHNL are not just in the phnl scenery folder. You HAVE to use the proper installer, and don't manually copy anything.

As I mentioned,  the installer puts the PHNL on F and not on E that can apparently not be changed as I wrote you.

No, as I've said in my previous message, the installer will install in the location pointed by the registry, provided thee IS a valid FSX installation there.

3. PHNL is nowhere!

Which is normal, since you have moved files by hand, so you are missing all the scenery which, as I've said, is not in the scenery folder, and it HAS to be in the same folder as FSX

To fix this, uninstall everything, remove manually what you moved manually, fix your registry to point to your existing FSX installation on the E drive, and run the scenery installer without moving anything.

ikarus2010

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Thank you for the reply!

ok, the installation I understand now and I have uninstalled everything. However, I am unable to fix the problem with the change of the FSX registry. Unfortunately your first reply did not make sense to me. 

Would appreciate very much, if you could give me a hint how to proceed in details  so that the FSX knows that I want him to install everything on another external SATA disk.
Best regards

Alfred

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:50:55 am »
ok, the installation I understand now and I have uninstalled everything. However, I am unable to fix the problem with the change of the FSX registry. Unfortunately your first reply did not make sense to me. 

As I've said, you need to use the REGEDIT program to change these two entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0,SetupPath
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0,AppPath

To point the FSX installation you want the installer to be directed to.

Also, if you use a 64 bit OS, the first key will be located here instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0,SetupPath

Would appreciate very much, if you could give me a hint how to proceed in details  so that the FSX knows that I want him to install everything on another external SATA disk.

Maybe I haven't specified this clearly enough: you said you have TWO FSX installation, one on the SSD F drive, another one on the SATA E drive.

By acting on those registry keys, you can direct all installers to install the FSX that resides into E but then, you will have to USE the FSX on the E drive!

If you were trying to use the FSX on F, with the addons on E, that wouldn't work with any of our products. Sorry, but we can't change that.

ikarus2010

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
Hi Umberto,
Thanks a lot! Everything clear. I have no changed the FSX registry with a small programme and it works no fine.

Best regards

Alfred