Author Topic: Updates on the ORD update?  (Read 9961 times)

donaldd

Updates on the ORD update?
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:18:26 pm »
I know this has been asked but, the last time there was an "update" was about four to five months ago and I would think you have made some progress by now. Just wondering what you guys have been doing with ORD and an approximate date of when it could be released? Thanks! Don't mean to bug you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Updates on the ORD update?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:11:23 am »
I know this has been asked but, the last time there was an "update" was about four to five months ago

And in that time, something which can obviously affects us (and any other developer out there) happened, which was the announcement a new flightsim from Microsoft will come.

This means, we are currently working only on our work in-progress projects, which at this time are KLAX, GSX and Hawaii 2. Everything else is now on hold, because we need to revaluate everything we'll do in the future in relationship with the new MS flight sim, since we'll probably have to update all our sceneries, if only to bring them to new KDFW/KLAX quality standards, not just KORD.

theshack440

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:36:18 am »
I know this has been asked but, the last time there was an "update" was about four to five months ago

And in that time, something which can obviously affects us (and any other developer out there) happened, which was the announcement a new flightsim from Microsoft will come.

This means, we are currently working only on our work in-progress projects, which at this time are KLAX, GSX and Hawaii 2. Everything else is now on hold, because we need to revaluate everything we'll do in the future in relationship with the new MS flight sim, since we'll probably have to update all our sceneries, if only to bring them to new KDFW/KLAX quality standards, not just KORD.

So does that mean that you will update all of your current sceneries for Flight? :o ;D

Regards
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

donaldd

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:43:59 am »
You are jumping to the gun. Microsoft Flight is still in production and will not be coming out any time soon, and when it does, it is going to take a while for people to start switching to it. You should try to update ORD and JFK like other companies such as ImagineSim & FlyTampa with little updates not completely remaking the airport. It makes sense to do that for the time being since FSX (and possibly FS9) will be staying with us for years to come. As mentioned, it will be some time before Microsoft Flight comes out and it will take even longer for people to start switching to it. I doubt your WHOLE team is all on LAX and I personally think a few of them should take the time to make little updates such as the new runway at JFK & ORD. Simple little things such as a runway make a big difference to the costumer and to the virtual flying experience.

- Also, I really think it is kinda stupid to expand AGAIN on Hawaii! You released HNL, cool, then you are making all these smaller airports. I thought you guys were focusing on larger airport not smaller ones. You are focusing to much on Hawaii. After LAX you should focus some time on making a few quick updates to your current sceneries and then start on ANOTHER Hawaii project.  

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
You are jumping to the gun. Microsoft Flight is still in production and will not be coming out any time soon, and when it does, it is going to take a while for people to start switching to it.

We can't obviously *wait* for people switching to it, to work on things. We have 9 sceneries released, it will take a lot of time to update them all.

You should try to update ORD and JFK like other companies such as ImagineSim & FlyTampa with little updates not completely remaking the airport.

If you are referring to FlyTampa Midway or Imaginesime KDEN, they released it in 2005, and updated it in 2011 so, it was 6 years. KORD has been released 3 years ago.

I doubt your WHOLE team is all on LAX

As I've said, it's not KLAX, but it's KLAX, GSX and Hawaii 2 we are working on so, until all 3 products will be released, we are 100% full. And when all 3 will be released, MS Flight will be much closer.

and I personally think a few of them should take the time to make little updates such as the new runway at JFK & ORD. Simple little things such as a runway make a big difference to the costumer and to the virtual flying experience.

It's not a "little" update at all. The ground must be heavily reworked, and the AFCAD basically remade from scratch.

Also, I really think it is kinda stupid to expand AGAIN on Hawaii! You released HNL, cool, then you are making all these smaller airports. I thought you guys were focusing on larger airport not smaller ones. You are focusing to much on Hawaii.

The team that did KORD (and will have to do the update) is not the same that is working on Hawaii so, even if Hawaii would be released tomorrow, the Hawaii team wasn't supposed to do the KORD update in any case.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
So does that mean that you will update all of your current sceneries for Flight?

That would be fairly logical. However, how many sceneries we'll be able to port, with what features and in how much time, is entirely unknown now.

Silverbird

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:49:22 pm »
You are jumping to the gun. Microsoft Flight is still in production and will not be coming out any time soon, and when it does, it is going to take a while for people to start switching to it. You should try to update ORD and JFK like other companies such as ImagineSim & FlyTampa with little updates not completely remaking the airport. It makes sense to do that for the time being since FSX (and possibly FS9) will be staying with us for years to come. As mentioned, it will be some time before Microsoft Flight comes out and it will take even longer for people to start switching to it. I doubt your WHOLE team is all on LAX and I personally think a few of them should take the time to make little updates such as the new runway at JFK & ORD. Simple little things such as a runway make a big difference to the costumer and to the virtual flying experience.

- Also, I really think it is kinda stupid to expand AGAIN on Hawaii! You released HNL, cool, then you are making all these smaller airports. I thought you guys were focusing on larger airport not smaller ones. You are focusing to much on Hawaii. After LAX you should focus some time on making a few quick updates to your current scenery's and then start on ANOTHER Hawaii project.  

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on Hawaii its a great area very beautiful, everyone has there own opinions. but to say its stupid to expand on Hawaii is very unfair as there are many other people that enjoy it. unfortunately airports are constantly changing so it becomes difficult to update them like Umberto mentioned they have a full plate right now and it wouldn't make sense spending so much time and money into these big updates when a big new flight simulator is in development as much as I would love updates to all scenery's I have learned to wait it out.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

donaldd

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:45 pm »
So if the KORD is specialized on Chicago they would not be working on Hawaii, LAX, or GSX so why can't they make an update then? Same for the JFK team. I mean if you can't even make a simple update for JFK to close T6 it's a little pathetic. I even know it does not take much to release an AFCAD or something to close off a terminal to traffic.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:14 pm »
So if the KORD is specialized on Chicago they would not be working on Hawaii, LAX, or GSX so why can't they make an update then? Same for the JFK team.

?? How many teams do you think we have ? JFK, KORD, KLAX and GSX are all being made by the same people, which obviously have their hands quite full now, since they are working on KLAX and GSX at the same time.

I mean if you can't even make a simple update for JFK to close T6 it's a little pathetic.

Do we even *started* discussed this ? At least, the KORD updated was mentioned, but it's really the first time I've heard about this.

We don't constantly follow real-world updates for all airports we released in the past, and even if we did, it's not something we are bound to do anyway: none of our sceneries are sold including a free upgrade service that reflects real-world changes, updates are due only to fix bugs or compatibility issues, otherwise we should start discussing subscription prices, like navigation charts.

theshack440

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:01:16 am »
So does that mean that you will update all of your current sceneries for Flight?

That would be fairly logical. However, how many sceneries we'll be able to port, with what features and in how much time, is entirely unknown now.

That is totally fair. I don't expect you guys to know that much about updating sceneries now but I am happy to hear to you are looking to upgrade them! I can't wait for a revamped KJFK, KORD, and more!

Regards
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

donaldd

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:48:44 am »
don't constantly follow real-world updates for all airports we released in the past, and even if we did, it's not something we are bound to do anyway.

I can understand it would be difficult to update these sceneries every time something changed at the airport but if multiple things happened at this airport over the last few years (Terminal closings, and new runways) I would think it would be nice to update it to make it that more realistic.

viper1740

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 01:04:38 am »
Based on what's been said in this forum, by the Admins of FSDT, it doesn't look like they are up for updating better yet giving any support to those that made the effort to buy the product from them.  It doesn't look like I will be buying anymore products from FSDT due to the fact that JUST because the new FS is coming out, who knows when, FSDT has to all of a sudden stop supporting older, or should I say FSX, the previous generation software.  This isn't fair to those who have purchased the product, hoping for updates as the life knows happens all the time.  Sure we don't expect an update the minute it happens but sometime down the line.  What you guys have said, it doesn't look like it happen because MS Flight was announced.  In my opinion this is ridiculous from your stand point of view, I was hoping for an ORD update since there is a new runway and new buildings at the airport.  Oh and just because new sim is coming out... it doesn't mean people wont buy for FSX or FS9, it took me approximately 3 years to swich to FSX even though I had it installed.  I loved my old scenery as well as the aircraft that I have purchased.  With that said, maybe you guys should take an example from Aerosoft, PMDG, LDS and other Flight Simulator add-ons who still are and will update and produce software for older sims until they decide the market had switched to the new MS Flight.  Sorry to put you guys down so bad but, you guys don't seem to have any remorse for cancelling the update which was promised (with out specified date).  I guess I'll just take my business else where, and I think those who posted responses above, will probably be doing the same.

Look at this topic
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1561.15

Supposedly it was started around the time, one of the admins replied to the topic on "Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 11:14:20 AM ยป" and then it just died.
Very NOT cool "Dream Team"  >:(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:23:04 am by viper1740 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:36 am »
Based on what's been said in this forum, by the Admins of FSDT, it doesn't look like they are up for updating better yet giving any support to those that made the effort to buy the product from them.  It doesn't look like I will be buying anymore products from FSDT due to the fact that JUST because the new FS is coming out, who knows when, FSDT has to all of a sudden stop supporting older, or should I say FSX, the previous generation software

Based on what's been said on this forum:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.msg39476#msg39476

Facts are exactly the opposite of what you are saying that we don't "support older sceneries", we ARE updating all our sceneries STARTING with the oldest ones which are, Zurich and O'Hare, Zurich being the first one, since it's the oldest.

It's also not true that we are not updating FSX products because of MS Flight coming out. It's exactly the opposite: since we'll have to update our sceneries anyway for MS Flight and it's obviously easier to update an older scenery, than to remade a new one from scratch there will be a chance to update them for FSX as well, and maybe even for FS9, although many enhancements might not port over to FS9.

With that said, maybe you guys should take an example from Aerosoft, PMDG, LDS and other Flight Simulator add-ons who still are and will update and produce software for older sims until they decide the market had switched to the new MS Flight.

Again, reality it's exactly the opposite of what you are saying: several of these developers you mentioned have said several times they are going away from FS9 and *already* released several FSX-only products. Instead, we are still supporting FS9  so, what makes you think, based on our previous history of supporting FS9 7 YEARS AFTER ITS RELEASE, that we would "abandon" FSX as soon as MS Flight be out ?

If anything, the release of MS Flight will probably force us to drop FS9, instead, since it will really not possible for us to support 3 platforms at the same time, but FSX support will going on for years, JUST LIKE we did with FS9.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:47:52 am by virtuali »