Author Topic: Work in Progress / 05  (Read 96221 times)

CX 747-400

• Beta tester
Re: Work in Progress / 05
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 06:16:53 pm »
Yes it's you... wake up and smell the coffee  ;)

I'll try find the link for this documentation  :)

edit: 

http://forum.phpvms.net/topic/2610-fs2004-vs-fsx/
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?206064-fs9-vs-FSX

Maybe I can find more polls

Since these polls are old, and not alot of votes. I thought I would do another poll on this same topic.
Stop by my site and vote.

http://flightsimbuzz.blogspot.com/
Jonathan

A part of the Flight Sim world since 1983
-----------------------
MS Windows 10 64bit Home / Intel Kaby Lake i7 @4.2 / ASUS MAX IX Hero Motherboard /Corsair DDR4 16.00G Ram /Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »
Thank you  ;)
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

B777ER

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
What is fsdt's stance on the construction going on at LAX (643 days till completion as of today by the way)? Are you guys going to model what the end deal will look like in regards to the TBIT or just model the old terminal and do an update later? How about the new cross field taxiway that is in operation now?

Umberto,

If you dont know yet and dont want to comment, can you at least say so?
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »
Have seen another polls that show defiantly, but I can't remember where I saw it...

If you are referring to the poll we had here, that's entirely different: both because of dates, because we had it at the end of 2010 while those were from 2009 and early 2010, and also on the number of people that voted, since the one we had here had 874 voters, quite different from the one you linked, voted by 59 and 23 people.

And even if our poll had about 20 times more voters, we always said from start it we wouldn't blindly followed it in any case, because even such numbers are not enough to give a better perception of the market, and in case of FSX acceptance, a year or more later clearly makes a difference, which is why it doesn't make any sense to quote such  small polls from 2009-early/2010, let alone comparing with our own poll, and even more so considering we have even bigger samples from the actual download data.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 09:34:06 pm »
No I wasn't Umberto... I think we should stop this topic regarding FS9 vs. FSX. It's more easy to get peace in the middle east  :D  than to agree about this discussion right?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:17:40 pm by Lindbergh72 »
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 11:28:52 pm »
how long do you honestly think that all the flight sim developers (not just FSDreamTeam), are gonna keep producing fs2004 content?

I would imagine that once "Flight" is out, if it ends up being as great as some of us think it will be, then I can't imagine developers will continue to work on FS9 products any longer as supporting and developing for 3 sims would be too much work. They will probably switch their focus to Flight and maybe FSX, but I doubt that any new products that are developed for Flight will be back ported twice, meaning once to work in FSX, and another version to work in FS9.

Doesn't mean that FS9 is dead, since anyone can continue to use it, but at some point in probably the not to distant future, 3PD's are probably going to stop developing for it all together, just like at some point they will probably stop developing for FSX.

DChockey08

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 02:14:09 am »
If I may..
I don't at all think the C9 scenery is horrible, it's actually quite nice compared to some of the other c*ap that's out there (see Blueprint). What us FS9 flyers are looking for is an updated and AES-ready version. I completely understand what you are saying though about not releasing a scenery that is horrible looking.

About Flight, it might even end up looking better than FSX while getting better performance. It's not impossible to do. That might end the FS9 vs FSX debate once and for all, considering everyone would be using Flight.

cowings1588

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:51 am »
FSX is better than FS9 hands down !!  I love FSX   :)
COA
Bill

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 07:09:52 am »
If I may..
I don't at all think the C9 scenery is horrible, it's actually quite nice compared to some of the other c*ap that's out there (see Blueprint). What us FS9 flyers are looking for is an updated and AES-ready version. I completely understand what you are saying though about not releasing a scenery that is horrible looking.

About Flight, it might even end up looking better than FSX while getting better performance. It's not impossible to do. That might end the FS9 vs FSX debate once and for all, considering everyone would be using Flight.

I totally agree on this one.. I'll wait till "flight" will come along..  ;) I'll skip the FSX part..  ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »

You could be right, but then the debate might go from FS9 vs. FSX, to FSX vs. Flight and which one is better or worse..

I'm sure that just like with FS9 and FSX, where there were a bunch of FS9 guys who didn't want to dump all their payware to move to FSX as their fulltime sim, the same will happen when Flight comes out. There will be people like me who have invested hundreds or even thousands of dollars into FSX addons and then will have to make the choice if they want to start over and repurchase or upgrade all those addons for Flight once they are out.

Personally, if Flight ends up being a vastly improved version over FSX in terms of looks and performance, then I will go ahead and start over from scratch once 3PDs start rolling out scenery and aircraft for it. However, I would imagine that if current FSX products need to be basically redone from scratch rather than easily ported to Flight format to work, then it will probably be sometime before we see a good variety of addons for Flight, just like it took FSX sometime before we started to get some good sceneries. If thats the case, then I will probably be using FSX for the next 2 years since I can stand flying default planes into default airports.

Either way, we will probably never have a FS community where the majority of users are on one sim like it was in the FS9 days years ago. I'm sure that even if Flight is really great, there will still be a bunch of FS9 users that want to stay with it because as they always say, they can run it will every slider to the right, 100% AI, etc, and still get like 50 FPS or something to that effect. If Flight is built like every other version of FS has been it will be built to run at max settings with tomorrows computers rather than todays, although it seems like from the press releases they want to make performance better this time around, so maybe the computers of tomorrow wont be required to run it at high levels.

Anders Bermann

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »
It difficult to say...

In my opinion, it greatly depends also regarding the level of compatibility of addon scenery between 'Flight Simulator X' and 'MS Flight' sceneries... if we're lucky, it could be a bit more compatible than FS2004/FSX scenery... (which as to my knowledge, is close to zero... )

We'll see, how it comes out... :)
Best regards, Anders

Dimon

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

I'm sure that just like with FS9 and FSX, where there were a bunch of FS9 guys who didn't want to dump all their payware to move to FSX as their fulltime sim, the same will happen when Flight comes out. There will be people like me who have invested hundreds or even thousands of dollars into FSX addons and then will have to make the choice if they want to start over and repurchase or upgrade all those addons for Flight once they are out.

You know...in old times I invested a lot of money in FS2002....remember old LAGO EHAM and PHNL (hello Umberto! ;D), Simflyers stuff, early GAP series and UK2000 airports when AFCAD and AI traffic were new guys in the town. However, this didn't preclude me to move easily to FS2004 once people realized that it's perfect extension over FS2002 with impoved ATC and many other areas. In other words, don't blame people's habits for the real technical flaws of FSX. Once it will be proven that Flight is stable, reliable, fits modern PC requirements on at least "expensive" level of hardware - I will switch no matter how many thousand of $$$ I have invested up to date into FS2004.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »
You know...in old times I invested a lot of money in FS2002....remember old LAGO EHAM and PHNL (hello Umberto! ;D), Simflyers stuff, early GAP series and UK2000 airports when AFCAD and AI traffic were new guys in the town. However, this didn't preclude me to move easily to FS2004 once people realized that it's perfect extension over FS2002 with impoved ATC and many other areas. In other words, don't blame people's habits for the real technical flaws of FSX. Once it will be proven that Flight is stable, reliable, fits modern PC requirements on at least "expensive" level of hardware - I will switch no matter how many thousand of $$$ I have invested up to date into FS2004.

Dmitry, that maybe you personally, but I cant even count how many times I have read posts around the FS world of people who want to switch to FSX for one reason or another, but frankly dont want to spend the money to rebuild their library of addons. I'm not saying that is everyone, I was only mentioning it as a reason for some. You got to remember, some people who are heavly invested in FS9 may never switch to a new sim regardless of its look or performance, just do to the fact that they can't financially do it, or maybe are just happy enough with FS9 that they will use it until the die. Then there are other guys like Ed (edetroit) who post the vids over at Avsim who dont even like wide screen monitors and stick with 4:3. He's so vested in FS9 with all the panels, guages, and whatever else he's custom made for himself, he'll probably never use another sim other that what he's using now.

Of course for some like yourself, FSX didn't make sense to switch to. In your opinon its full of bugs, can't get enought FPS most likely, hate the higher res ground textures, cant run every slider to the right with 60 FPS, probably is pissed that PMDG and ORBX dont support FS9 developement anymore, thinks it looks cartoonish. What else? Of yeah, you probably hate the car and boat traffic that's not scenery specific, hate the moving jetways that are on the stock airports, probably think that 4096 res clouds textures look like crap, etc., etc.

However for all the reasons you didn't want to go to FSX, pretty much all of those reasons are why some of us wanted to go to FSX. Nothing wrong with that, no one is forcing anyone to use a sim they hate :-)

As far as the other comments about "technical flaws of FSX", that arguement is getting about as old as FS9 is itself. If it was really that bad or that flawed I dont thing anyone would be using it at all, much less for their primary or only sim. In fact, I doubt developers would even mess with FSX if it was that unstable or trouble some and their wasn't a market for addons for it.

Anyway Dmitry, lets not turn this into another FS9 vs. FSX debate.

Buziel-411

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 03:58:56 am »
Lookin' gorgeous!  :)

DChockey08

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 04:12:40 am »

You could be right, but then the debate might go from FS9 vs. FSX, to FSX vs. Flight and which one is better or worse..

Personally, if Flight ends up being a vastly improved version over FSX in terms of looks and performance, then I will go ahead and start over from scratch once 3PDs start rolling out scenery and aircraft for it. However, I would imagine that if current FSX products need to be basically redone from scratch rather than easily ported to Flight format to work, then it will probably be sometime before we see a good variety of addons for Flight, just like it took FSX sometime before we started to get some good sceneries. If thats the case, then I will probably be using FSX for the next 2 years since I can stand flying default planes into default airports.

Either way, we will probably never have a FS community where the majority of users are on one sim like it was in the FS9 days years ago. I'm sure that even if Flight is really great, there will still be a bunch of FS9 users that want to stay with it because as they always say, they can run it will every slider to the right, 100% AI, etc, and still get like 50 FPS or something to that effect. If Flight is built like every other version of FS has been it will be built to run at max settings with tomorrows computers rather than todays, although it seems like from the press releases they want to make performance better this time around, so maybe the computers of tomorrow wont be required to run it at high levels.

Well, I see what you mean about FSX vs Flight, but if Flight runs better than FSX, I don't dee why anyone would stick with FSX for a long time, (even if they have purchased many add-ons). Right now it's simple  : there is no such computer that can run FSX at ultra-high settings at major airports with add-ons and maintain a steady 30+ FPS, and that is why some still fly FS9. If you have the name of a computer that can do this, please send me a link!  ;) I have an i7 build, and still sly FS9, because even an i7 doesn't get good enough FPS on FSX for me. But I am basically echoing what you already said.

If FSX ran as good or better than FS9, no one would be using FS9 anymore, and we all know it. So, if Flight beats FSX performance, I don't see how FSX (much less FS9) can survive. But then again wouldn't that make life so much easier for Virtuali and the gang?  :D