Author Topic: Greenie Board Possibilities?  (Read 128212 times)

GOONIE

Re: Greenie Board Possibilities?
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »
I was doing it backward...

must be why I was getting screen messages but no voice...

tks!

David, make sure the vLSO.exe file is in the same folder as the sound folder (LSO audio calls) when being launched. Also make sure "Full" talking level is selected in vLSO program.
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

nicka117

« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2011, 02:00:19 am »
Two more inputs Serge:

-Keep tracking lateral and vertical paths for debrief windows for a wave off. Would be nice to see wave off performance in debrief, currently path stops tracking on w/o.

-Not a fan of the computer voice LSO calls, little fast, little slow, others. I will see if I can find some audio clips, or if you have some to replace the computer voice calls, I think it would be better.

-Capt

Agree about the automated "you're fast, you're fast." Even if we couldn't find a real clip, we just record our own voice. We could sound like a real LSO better than the computer...we could put a little emotion and inflection into it.

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:12 pm »
Has anyone managed to find the solution to the carrier stopping after the first trap?
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Victory103

« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
BZ! I get the new version of Dino's T-45 and now this in one week! Agree about the audio calls, there are many vids on the Tube for samples, a screaming LSO for "power, Power, POWER!" call would get one's attention quick! Throw in a few "easy with it's".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2011, 07:48:19 am »
Simon...

I haven't found the cause or a solution, but you might wanna try to fly a trap first, then hook up to the cat and do a longer-than-normal take off and BRC runout before your turn back to recip, as I've done this and it works for about 4-5 traps extra.  Dont ask me how, but the boat will STOP after you trap and then it will START UP again after you launch off the boat?

I may try doing it WITHOUT the vLSO program, and it PROBLY WON'T make a difference, but at this point, I have NO IDEA why its not working... so I'll give anything a try.

Here's a shot of my best pass so far for glideslope and linup windows.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2011, 08:54:53 am »
Fellas...

Dont know if this is a TRUE FIX, but when I launch off cat 3 and 4 (waist cats), right before I hook up, the total wind over deck on my shift-z screen increases to around 36 (where its supposed to be) and so I can do a regular pattern.  When I land, after I catch the wire, the boat slows down to where there is just wind speed. Now, when I did the same pre-hookup with Cat 1/2, nothing... the wind stayed at 15 knots. Hook up, wind still at 15 knots. Launch off the boat from CAT 1 and 2, once I drove out for a little while to about 1.2 on BRC, then turning downwind, I'd look back and sure enough the boat started (the wake started to trail out) but I could tell I it was taking a bit to get up to steam. Maybe it ALSO activates at the call "cleared downwind" if launching from Cat 1 or 2? Just some late night/early morning obvserations, could be wayy off on this, but thats what I seemed to experience.

For everyone that flies, whether you have this problem or dont. To test and help Serge, when you fellas fly the mission, can you do your first two traps from 3 and 4, while having your shift-z RED INFO LINES up? Note the wind speed while youre stopped before hooking up to the cat. Then launch, do a pattern, get a pass in, trap; as the hook is coming up take note of the wind speed while you are stopped. Is it holding about 35-38 kts? Is it slowing? Then do the same thing with Cats 1 and 2, and let me know the results.

This will help determine if its a mission "activation zone" issue, that somehow the mission and/or the vLSO program are causing the boat to inadvertently STOP until the person lines up behind cat 3 or 4, or if its a machine problem that me and a few others are having right now.
Much appreciated fellas.

Thanks
Sludge

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »
Hey Sludge thanks for the info glad to know its not just me ......will fly some patterns and post the results
as soon as I can.

Sonofabeech out
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
Simon...

No worries. Ive had this problem since the start of the missions and thats been my biggest critique so-far that has stopped me from posting other critiques on the actual program itself.

Once you get a few traps though, on the same missions, its alot of fun. On the .FLT missions startup data, I changed the time to 1130 or something like that, as I need a full up sunny day, along with not having to worry about sun angle coming across my view in the pattern.

Interesting to find out your testing results.

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2011, 07:06:02 pm »
My lateral debrief shows a curve way to the left of the carrier, even when I make a point coming from the far right.

Johan

Hi Sludge,

I see the debrief curves you posted are quite good. Did you have a problem with the lateral or is it just me?

Johan

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:02 pm »
Johan...

Yeah, but Im still wondering if thats part of the carrier not at the right speed (having gone from 0 to 22, from cat launch)? Or its just me having trouble maintaining my lineup geometry?

Im guessing that ideally, one wants to be within the "OK" boundaries at startup, then proceeding to center up and stay there. As a real world cheat (Hornet pilots have said as much), once lined up, I keep the v/vector on the "crotch" of the ship (portside v-junction between the waist and front cats) until Im past in-close, then I maintain that lineup and meatball focus.

Also, on a bit of a side note, see the WRONG Wind and Groove time? I take about 20 secs (a tad long but far closer to optimum), and the wind should be 35-37 knots, so Im wondering IF that ties into the ship problem some of us have been experiencing?

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2011, 08:08:16 pm »
I will try these little "tricks" tonight. Thanks for the hints.

Johan

GOONIE

« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »
I am also getting the carrier problem (stopping intermittently). Here is a trap with the carrier at speed/underway (37kts WoD). I get a little fast at touchdown, but I think this is due to the nose coming down after catching a wire (AoA decreases/ indicates fast). I have still not been able to fly the lateral portion down the centerline, getting better, but always off to left. The last picture is a mockup of version 10.0 vLSO, includes PLAT Cam Playback, and 2D aircraft view for debrief/playback ;)

-Capt
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:21:18 pm by capthaltli »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2011, 07:30:54 pm »
wow, very interesting

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »
CAPT...

Yeah, I have that problem but to a lesser extent. Do you put your v/vector on the crotch once you get lined up? I know that helps me, especially once I'm In-The-Middle... all the way to A-R... then I just shoot for a centerline lineup and fly the meatball. AoA doesnt even get into my pattern at A-R, its pretty much set. I do know if you try to put your v/vector on the "expected" touchdown point thru the whole pass, it wont work. Another thing you can try is fly a complete VISUAL LINEUP, old school without real-world HUD "cheats". Meaning fly the plane to keep the angled deck and extended lineup stick on the back of the boat lined-up throughout the pass... So your scan pattern goes something like this:
x- meatball, SHIP LINEUP, AoA; IM- meatball, ship lineup, AoA; IC- meatball, ship lineup, AoA (last quick glance); AR- meatball, ship lineup; IW- hold what ya got.

Dont know how you fly the approach using the HUD lined up at "expected" touchdown, using the HUD v/vector "crotch cheat", or "actual ship lineup", but the two I mentioned a try and let us know what your results are. My posted results are using the HUD "crotch cheat" method. I'll be using the "ship lineup" method to see what the vLSO reports.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »
Thanks Sludge,
I typically fly using the method you describe, putting the VV in the "crotch" position (mock up picture attached below, which shows what I aim for). Sometimes I have to put the VV even further to the right to get lined up. I think this is due to my Start (X) technique.

When you are completing your turn from the 90, to start the approach and enter the groove, do you compensate by flying a litter further to the right of percieved centerline to account for the runway offset and movement away from you? Or do you turn to line up with the centerline at the start? I included a picture below to illustrate what I mean.

Finally a question for Serge when he returns from vacation, how is the "time in groove" calculated? I thought 15 to 17 seconds was a good time, but I keep getting ~30 seconds, even with a tight turn into the groove (0.7NM start).
-CAPT