Author Topic: acceleration hornet autopilot question  (Read 4948 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
acceleration hornet autopilot question
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:37 am »
the accel hornet can couple to ILS, and land automatically, like commercial jets.

does the real hornet do it? sounds like weird.
also, anyone knows if the bug can do?

micro

Re: acceleration hornet autopilot question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:57:32 am »
Yes, it actually can. The system is called the Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS). My info is fairly old and may have changed but in a "Mode 1" approach the plane is completely coupled to the ships ACLS data link system. If you ever hear someone call the ball and add "coupled" to the end they are flying Mode 1 (the "auto" call is for when auto-throttles are being used). Mode 1 doesn't get used all that much for a few reasons. First of all, if the ship is even slightly moving around it is uncomfortable . Picture a laser beam being projected out from the 3 wire that represents the aircraft's proper glidepath. Now imagine what that beam does as the boat pitches and rolls in the water. ACLS will keep the jet on that beam, and it can make for a wild ride. Also, the pass won't count toward the pilots grade average.  You will generally see guys using Mode 1 after long combat missions where they don't want to dick around and just want to get back aboard. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:04:44 am by microbrewst »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
Re: acceleration hornet autopilot question
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:28:08 am »
hey micro thanks

but actually i was talking about airport ILS landings, wich the acceleration hornet is able to do.
AFAIK, the accel hornet wont do acls, at least not on moving carriers, as there are no moving navaids that you can actually couple into, but it will land on static carriers with ils, AND airports.

so my question was actually, does the real hornet couple to airport ILS like airliners?