Author Topic: Square Trees  (Read 11097 times)

Swoop

Square Trees
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:37:57 am »
I'm getting square trees at PHTO...anyone know what object I'm missing? Please advise and thanks!

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Square Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:15 am »
It's possible you have installed some kind of textures update by a 3rd party ? There are packages around who claims better performances, by they kill the transparency in all default textures, creating such problem.

Swoop

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »
The only third party tree texture install are Gerish Grey's trees. So many of my other sceneries need it. Regardless, I did a fresh install of FS9 2 days ago. The only other sceneries that I have installed are a KLAV, KSFO, KSAN, and of course, the FSDT Hawaii stuff that I installed today.

I did notice that KLAX has the same issues as PHNL, PHLI, and PHTO. Interesting eh? Wonder what could be causing it. Where is PHTO getting it's tree textures from? You know, come to think about it I've got the following tree libraries installed...

BASE\Scenery\Trees_0.bgl
Generic\scenery\Agen_XTrees_lib9_2.BGL
Generic\scenery\GGv3_XTrees_lib9_0.BGL

I wonder if there are incompatibilities in between them? Would you know this by any chance?

Mark

Swoop

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
I went ahead and rem out everything in my Scenery.cfg file. The only scenery that I had left in it were all of the Microsoft default objects and the 3 Hawaii sceneries from FSDT and the tree are still square. This appears to be a tree texture issue and the only global tree textures that are left are from Gerish Grey and FSDT.

Now many other sceneries use GGs textures and they are appearing fine. Is it possible that it's the textures from FSDT and if so, how should I go about changing them...(if that is the case).

Mark

Swoop

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »
Hey Umberto, I'm forgot this but I'm using the UT version of the Hawaii scenery. Do you think that would make a difference?
Please advise and thanks for the help!

Mark

Swoop

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »
It's possible you have installed some kind of textures update by a 3rd party ? There are packages around who claims better performances, by they kill the transparency in all default textures, creating such problem.

Umberto, I researched this a bit farther and found that, (and I'm guessing), that the PHTO scenery uses PHTO_Settori_Tree.BGL for it's tree rendering and placement. I renamed it to PHTO_Settori_Tree.BGx and no trees appeared. I then renamed it back and then renamed PHTO_TREE_LM.bmp to PHTO_TREE_LM.bmx and the square trees reappeared. I then renamed PHTO_TREE.bmp to PHTO_TREE.bmx and got a lot of grey squares where the trees should be.

In other words, PHTO seems to be using PHTO_Settori_Tree.BGL for it's tree rendering and placement and both PHTO_TREE.bmp and PHTO_TREE_LM.bmp for the tree textures at PHTO. So do you think that one of those 3 files could be causing this issue? Please advise and thanks!

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 02:30:46 pm »
I was checking the same thing right now and yes, that file control the trees, and the textures involved are PHTO_TREE.BMP and PHTO_TREE_LM.BMP

However, they are working just fine, unless they have been changed/corrupted on your system, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the scenery ?

Swoop

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »
Alright, figured this one out. The 2 texture files that are used for rendering trees at PHTO, (PHTO_TREE.bmp and PHTO_TREE_LM.bmp), were corrupted. I took a look at the PHLI files and found out that it also had 2 tree bitmap files and that they were the same as PHTO...just named differently. So I copied PHLI_TREE.bmp and PHLI_TREE_LM.bmp to the PHTO folder, renamed them to PHTO_TREE.bmp and PHTO_TREE_LM.bmp respectively and voila...no more square trees at PHTO.

Thanks for the help Umberto...keep up the good work and I'm really looking forward to KLAX dude!!!

Mark

ppo

Re: Square Trees. A solution
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »
I too had that black/square trees problem. I have found that in my case a setting in the Antialiasing of the video card causes that.
I have an Nvidia GTX580 and uses Nvidia Inspector for the visuals.

The setting in question is called:
Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling

It should not be enabled for the Trees of FSDT to show properly.

Beautiful scenery guys and beautiful trees. You don't want to be without them.

note: I have both sceneries for FS9 and FSX and this is only applicable to the FS9 version.
Pierre

Swoop

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:57 am »
Interesting...I was just reinstalling scenery on my new system and the same issue appeared again. I noticed it without the Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling set on my NVida 560-TI using NVida Inspector.

I also noticed that the PHLI airport tree textures were fine. So I guess that there is another setting that works for one airport and not the other?

Mark

Swoop

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:23:33 am »
Update...I went ahead and added a higher level of AA Transparency Supersampling to 4x Supersampling and it appears that may have been the issue all along. So if you run into the same situation, you might try the higher setting and see if the trees magically reappear! Thanks for the help and keep up the great work Umberto :)

Mark