Author Topic: Every FSX startup: couatl.exe load Yes/No ? **SOLVED**  (Read 16013 times)

whiggy

Every FSX startup: couatl.exe load Yes/No ? **SOLVED**
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:31 pm »
Hi @ all!

Although the couatl.exe is as [Trusted] in the FSX.cfg, I get an message wherever the couatl.exe should be load Yes/No.
I get the message every FSX startup although the file is trusted.

How can I disble the message on every FSX startup?

I don't use any Firewall.
I don't use any virus scanner.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:00:57 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Every FSX startup: couatl.exe load Yes/No ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:21:40 pm »
I's normal that you have been asked for trust, but it's not normal you have been asked at every FSX start. The whole point of the entires in the [Trusted] section is just not having to re-trust each time.

However, it's not clear from your messages if the repeating trust request is coming from FSX or from Windows. The Windows one is the one with the Yellow shield, and the FSX one looks like an FSX dialog. Do you see only one request (if yes, which one ?) or both ? If both, are you replying Yes to both questions ?

whiggy

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »
I see only the Yes or No question. Not for new adding to trust.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:28:41 pm »
Please, clarify better: are you seeing the Windows question only, or the FSX question only ?

whiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:29:46 am »
Here is a screenshot. (Only in german sorry)

http://members.chello.at/whiggy/screen.jpg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:38:02 am »
Ok, that's the FSX screen. It's a little bit different than usual though, I never seen the reference to the version number and the configuration line, but maybe it's just something related to the german version.

Or, could be you are using some kind of utility that access the fsx.cfg file, and it's locking it so the [trusted] section can't be written ? The one you are seeing might come from a previous Couatl version.

whiggy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 11:32:04 am »
No, I don't use any tool which is locking fsx.cfg.

All lines are in my fsx.cfg

see this screenshot:  http://members.chello.at/whiggy/screen2.jpg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
No, I don't use any tool which is locking fsx.cfg.

That's the only possible explanation. Are you using ANY tool that deals with the fsx.cfg ? Is the fsx.cfg read-only maybe ?

Is *that* fsx.cfg the one FSX is using ? Are you running FSX in Vista or Windows 7 in any of the XP Compatibility modes ? Are you running it as Administrator ? If yes, try running it normally. If not, try running as Administrator at least once.

Try to remove the Couatl line manually, save the fsx.cfg, try again and see if it makes any difference. The line you are seeing might come from a previous version so, the only way to know for sure the fsx.cfg is updated, is to remove the Couatl line, allow to execute it permanently, and check if the line has been added.

In any case, it's nothing that depends in any way from our software: the Trusting method is handled entirely by Windows+FSX, and it's nothing we have any control on. None of our code has been executed before you trust the module, which is the whole point of the trust mechanism.

In this case, since you are not seeing the Windows message, the issue seems to be FSX, thus something related to the fsx.cfg file.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:59:08 pm by virtuali »

whiggy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:50:57 pm »
That's the only possible explanation. Are you using ANY tool that deals with the fsx.cfg ? Is the fsx.cfg read-only maybe ?

No, It's not read only.

Is *that* fsx.cfg the one FSX is using ? Are you running FSX in Vista or Windows 7 in any of the XP Compatibility modes ? Are you running it as Administrator ? If yes, try running it normally. If not, try running as Administrator at least once.

No, I use Win7 64 normal.

Try to remove the Couatl line manually, save the fsx.cfg, try again and see if it makes any difference. The line you are seeing might come from a previous version so, the only way to know for sure the fsx.cfg is updated, is to remove the Couatl line, allow to execute it permanently, and check if the line has been added.

I tried it 5 time with no effect.

In any case, it's nothing that depends in any way from our software: the Trusting method is handled entirely by Windows+FSX, and it's nothing we have any control on. None of our code has been executed before you trust the module, which is the whole point of the trust mechanism.

All other addons doesent has this problem. only this exe file.

In this case, since you are not seeing the Windows message, the issue seems to be FSX, thus something related to the fsx.cfg file.

It is the right file :-)
After 20years Computer- and FS expirence, I choose the right files before I post in a forum =)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:27 pm »
Are running FSX in Administrator mode, or if you can try running it in that mode, at least once.

I tried it 5 time with no effect.

You haven't said before you already tried this, which is why I've asked to do it.

After removing that file, does the couatl line always come back ? Can you check if the long code before the =1 is always the same each time you remove the line and let it FSX putting it back ?

You have an =1 at the end, which means, exactly that: FSX has successfully executed a module and that module is being flagged as trusted and never requested again. If you tell to FSX not to trust the module, that value should be 4 AND, on the next FSX launch, you should see BOTH the Windows trust request AND the FSX trust request so, clearly something is acting strange on FSX.

All other addons doesent has this problem. only this exe file.

That doesn't automatically mean your issue is not depending in any way by that file, only that file is *affected* by something else which is wrong on your system because nobody else reported this specific problem before.

Maybe I'll need to repeat this: NONE of our code has yet started when you see the Trust screens. If it were, it would defeat the purpose of having a Trust screen in the first place. The entire system is handled entirely by FSX without the module being able to control anything of it.

Your FSX trusting screenshot is also strange: it might be something unique to the German version (maybe someone else using it might help), but I never seen on the English version (which I normally use) or the Italian version (which I also test on), the Trust request accompanied by a program version and a line number.

It is the right file :-)After 20years Computer- and FS expirence, I choose the right files before I post in a forum =)

I had to ask, because, regardless how many years of computer experience you might have, it might easy to get confused, especially under Windows 7, which might store those files in different locations depending if you are running one of the Compatibility modes, which is why I've asked if you were running in one of these modes.

Maybe you have some wrong setting in the Windows security settings: go into Control Panel -> Internet Options, select the "Contents" tab, in the Certificates area press the "Authors" button, and check if you see "VIRTUALI s.a.s." either in the "non reliable Authors" OR in the "reliable Authors". Remove it if you find it in either lists, remove the couatl line again from fsx.cfg, and see if it makes any difference.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:09:19 pm by virtuali »

whiggy

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:17:02 am »
There are no VIRTUALI s.a.s certificates.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 10:40:56 am »
Then I'm sorry, but I think I'm out of explanations: when everything works correctly, the normal behavior is that, when you remove a line from a [trusted] section for a module, and the software author is not in the certificates list, you should see BOTH trust questions, the Windows one and the the FSX one.

Since, according to your description, you are seeing only the FSX one, and there's no certificate in the trusted (or not trusted) authors, something is not working correctly in your system or there might be a setting in Windows somewhere that is affecting this.

I'm afraid we don't have a solution: this specific problem has never been reported by anyone else before so, it's clearly something new that is affecting the normal Trust mechanism in Windows, which is unique to your system. Do you have another PC with FSX installed you can try it on ? Just as a test.

whiggy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
No sorry I don't have an another PC with FSX.
I downloaded and installed the scenery new, but I don't get any certificate in the list.

The only one thing:

I had 2 versions of FlightSimulator (FS9+FSX) on the same machine.
Few weeks ago, I uninstalled FS9 with all FSDreamteam scenerys and today I only use FSX.

What has surprised me is that I no had to enter a license number after installing the scenerys for FSX.
All scenerys were correct licensed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »
No sorry I don't have an another PC with FSX. I downloaded and installed the scenery new, but I don't get any certificate in the list.

Maybe I'll explain it better: this is ok, you will have a certificate there only in one of these two cases:

1) You decided to Trust anything signed by us (it's one of the possible options on the *Windows* trust request screen), so you would see a VIRTUALI certificate in the Trusted Authors list, so that would explain why you wouldn't see any more Windows request screen.

OR

2) You decided NOT to Trust anything by VIRTUALI, this would also explain why you wouldn't get Windows trust requests anymore, but then FSX should never allow the module to run, not even once.

What has surprised me is that I no had to enter a license number after installing the scenerys for FSX.All scenerys were correct licensed.

That's exactly what is supposed to happen, the activation of the sceneries is stored on Windows NOT on Flight sim, which means, as long as you don't reinstall Windows, you'll never lose it. And, as explained on every Info page of any product (JFK, for example)

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_jfk.html

The product is sold as 2 Products in One. This means, by buying one version, you will automatically get the other for free, since activation and serial codes are shared between FSX and FS9.

Which is of course the best and easier way: if you use both FS9 and FSX on the same PC, you don't need to register in both sims, it's enough you register in one and, as long you don't reinstall Windows, the scenery will be active in the other sim as well.

In any case, your activation is fine and it's working as expected, and your problem doesn't have anything to do with activation, because you also see the scenery (and if you lost your activation for any reason, it would *not* disappear, it would revert back in Trial mode).

Your problem is that the fact you Trusted the Couatl program seems to not be saved correctly between FSX sessions, which is also interesting because, we have two modules, the Addon Manager and Couatl, it's strange you see repeated trusting questions about Couatl and not the Addon Manager, considering they have exactly the same digital signature.

Sorry, but I really can't explain it, it's really the first time it happens.

Last check, you please open REGEDIT, and check the value of the following key ?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing

the default value is 0x23c00 (23c00 hexadecimal). If you see any other value, try to change it to back 0x23c00.

Xeno

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:07:53 pm »
Hi,
I ve faced the same issue. My system is german. FSXSave.exe and couatl.exe both requested permission on FSX startup. With the solutions given here, I couldn't solve it.
I finally made it. What you hav to look for, is the path of couatl.exe in the EXE.xml. I figured there are 2 different issues: In case of FSXSave.exe, please take a note about the difference between german and english paths. It has to be german! Mine was english. So I switched the following part of my path from "\Program Files (x86)\" to "\Programme (x86)\". No more permission requests afterwards.
About GSX: the path was missing the drive letter and first folders. And again, i wrote it in german. Now, also couatl.exe is always trusted.
I've had a similar problem a few weeks ago, and i know that it never appeared before with the nearly same configuration. So i guess there might be a possible bug inside net.framework. Windows usually
translates different path languages automatically, as far as I know.