Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 245388 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:20 pm »
LVFlyer...

That's correct, the MFDs are NOT MODIFYABLE AT ALL, by us... ONLY Microsoft. They have the .DLLs that control the default F-18 which the Sludge is ENTIRELY BASED ON. I'm not saying this to be a kill-joy, I'm saying this 'cause in our original quest to get a truly COLLIMATED HUD, I went and talked to Microsoft about allowing me to get the PERMISSION to decompile and RE-WRITE that .DLL to work on the HUD. They gave me permission 'cause they knew it couldn't be done. I have long since given up on the idea to get a collimated HUD for the default cause its far too extensive for my limited modding skill set.
Additionally, the reason we can't do anything with the VC, is the MFD/DDIs/HUD display are all built into the INTERNAL 3D MODEL/VC TEXTURE as a whole. That makes it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AT BEST to do a cut/paste with certain effects and have them simply "overlay" the existing VC TEXTURE.
Believe me, I would do it in a heartbeat if I had the slightest idea HOW TO DO IT. In example, the first thing I would start with is the AoA Indexer. I would OVERLAY Serge's BlackBox Indexer OVER the existing VC AoA Indexer, so that we could get HOOK-BYPASS logic incorporated and not have the flashing AoA Indexer in the VC when doing touch and goes. Right now, Serge's Indexer only works in the 2D HUD.

That pretty much sums up the best we can do at this point. Sorry.

Later
Sludge

lvflyer

« Reply #361 on: November 03, 2011, 04:49:12 pm »
Well maybe the minds to do it are finally coming together.  I know Geoff McLean has extensive dll gauge knowledge.  I know how you feel, this is way beyond me.  I've tried to dig into some of the tutorials for C++ and Visual Studio and just can't see the whole picture.  Sure I know basic code logic, but this is like learning Russian.  Some of the words and code make sense, but lots of the characters are backwards.  There has got to be a way to do what was done in the F-111 PIG.  The overlays on that are pretty incredible, even a forward looking terrain radar and a crude terrain following autopilot.  Any chance that your given permission allows us to open up the dlls and modify for freeware distribution only?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #362 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »
I'm saying this 'cause in our original quest to get a truly COLLIMATED HUD, I went and talked to Microsoft about allowing me to get the PERMISSION to decompile and RE-WRITE that .DLL to work on the HUD.

There's no need to modify the F-18 gauge .DLL to get a collimated HUD, it can be done entirely acting on the VC 3d model file and, the nice thing would be that, even if you would prefer to use an alternate HUD gauge you might write yourself even in XML, it would automatically get collimation "for free".

However, this would require modifying and recompiling the VC interior from the original Max source file, so it's not any easier than modifying the .DLL, if you want to do it in the legal way.

I speak with certainty, since I already made a collimated HUD for testing, to prove the concept, and it works just fine. As was already discussed long ago, we could do both C++ and 3d Model modifications, since we have source codes for both, but we don't have any right to distribute it, since that code now belongs to Microsoft.

If I ever had the time to do this, I might research into patching a 3d .MDL file without having to recompile it, so we could distribute just the collimated HUD modifications, which we could probably legally distribute, since it would be something we did now and MS doesn't own, but I would need to find a way how to patch an .MDL file to add additional geometry to it, which is not trivial.

Orion

« Reply #363 on: November 03, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »
Woah, woah, woah, woah, hang on.  You guys originally had a collimated HUD?  Was that during Acceleration development?  If so, why didn't it make it into the final release?  Time constraints?

Anyways, that'd be fantastic if you could!  If you do ever get around to doing that, there's the MDL file format (FSX) article at the FSDeveloper Wiki, which I'm sure you've probably seen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:44:30 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #364 on: November 03, 2011, 09:44:39 pm »
Woah, woah, woah, woah, hang on.  You guys originally had a collimated HUD?  Was that during Acceleration development?  If so, why didn't it make it into the final release?  Time constraints?

No, we never had it when when developing the Acceleration pack, although I always wanted to have it, but there was no time to do it, but I've made one to get grips with the method well after the Acceleration pack was released, which sadly can't be distributed.

Anyways, that'd be fantastic if you could!  If you do ever get around to doing that, there's the MDL file format (FSX) article at the FSDeveloper Wiki, which I'm sure you've probably seen.

Yes, of course I know how an .MDL is made, but still writing a patch is not so easy. Also, some very important parts like mouse rectangles are not fully understood, which makes even more tricky to do a patch, since everything should be preserved, a VC without working mouse rects wouldn't be very useful.

MikeB54

« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2011, 04:17:06 am »
Mike...

Yeah, I remember you telling us he said that, especially IN THE PATTERN. However, what I'm asking is, have you flown with AUTO-COORD ON and OFF (not using the pedals), but just have it ENABLED and DISABLED, so that I can get feedback. My prior thought process was I thought the ENABLED AUTO-COORD rudder MIMICKED a FBW rudder in turns. Now, from a few flights (will make more tonight), I'm not so sure that leaving it DISABLED, and letting the Hornet SLIP a little in turns, doesn't do a good enough job of emulating a FBW rudder. Thats the reason I need feedback.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

I just did a dozen passes, half with Auto-coordination enabled and half without.  In a 30 AoB turn the slip indicator in the ADI stayed centered either way.  It felt the same to me with both settings.  I hope that's feed back you were looking for.

Mike

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #366 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »
Mike...

I'm guessing if you have no "slip" in turns, your AUTO-COORD rudder is still active. When I do it, I get about "half a virtual ball" of slip to the direction im banking. I'll get a "test" Base.XML out that makes sure the Sludge Base.XML is not constantly re-ENABLING the AUTO-COORD when you are in a landing config. And yes, this is what I was looking for, as far as feedback.

Now if we can get others to do the same thing, once I get the correct Base.XML out there to test.

Virtuali...
If I ever had the time to do this, I might research into patching a 3d .MDL file without having to recompile it, so we could distribute just the collimated HUD modifications, which we could probably legally distribute, since it would be something we did now and MS doesn't own, but I would need to find a way how to patch an .MDL file to add additional geometry to it, which is not trivial.

Yeah, I talked with others about something similar, I think, although I didnt know how we could do it. I looked at Capt Sim's bird to maybe try something similar within the INTERNAL model. But I came to find out they simply UNMASKED (in XML, they "make visible") the parts of their EXTERNAL model they wanted (ie. drop tank/AIM-7/AIM-9) that were already part of the external model.

Now, just to be clear on what you're saying... the way to get this done, would be to put up a secondary "display plane" as an add-on to the existing Interior model? That way, once it was done (numbers, focal point, all that stuff), it would then allow for anybody's HUD to go on the default and they'd get COLLIMATION "for free"?

Even after you discussing it, I'm absolutely certain I couldn't do it, so I dont know what I can offer.

Later
Sludge

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #367 on: November 04, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
Now, just to be clear on what you're saying... the way to get this done, would be to put up a secondary "display plane" as an add-on to the existing Interior model? That way, once it was done (numbers, focal point, all that stuff), it would then allow for anybody's HUD to go on the default and they'd get COLLIMATION "for free"?

Yes, exactly. It's a matter of adding data to the existing .mdl at the binary level, bypassing the mdl compiler, without losing any functions of the model. And yes, any hud used with that patched model would get collimation for free, regardless of how it's done (c++, xml, etc.)

lvflyer

« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2011, 12:36:02 am »
Can the same be done for other functions, like weapons load out and such?  I notice the Hud control on the combat sludge is a seperate control then what is on the dash in the VC.  If we can overlay a functioning switch on the dash with mouse areas then we can arm/disarm, and then select the weapon in the MFD.  Or maybe just overlay a new screen on top of the existing MFD.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2011, 10:02:16 am »
LVFlyer...

Can the same be done for other functions, like weapons load out and such?  I notice the Hud control on the combat sludge is a seperate control then what is on the dash in the VC.  If we can overlay a functioning switch on the dash with mouse areas then we can arm/disarm, and then select the weapon in the MFD.  Or maybe just overlay a new screen on top of the existing MFD.

Now that is definately the part we'd have to re-write the .DLL for. As well, to make use of other weapons, besides the gun, there would have to be all kinds of code written for it... from the ground up. Remember, the Gun HUD came off of JR's Combat Hornet, where he wrote the entire code just to have a gun. Also, the gun doesn't actually fire anything, it just puts out "simulated" rounds via the HUD, so we can see how we'd do in a dogfight.

I mean, I for one could not program all that and am pretty sure JR isn't interested in programming all the various weapons (AIM-120, AIM-9X, for starters) and their parameters that he'd have to do to get something like that started. Keep in mind, the Gun HUD on the Sludge was simply JR letting me put the Combat HUD into the Sludge, nothing more on my part. We could talk on Skype sometime, and I can explain it, 'cause its a very detailed and vigorous task with limited return. I think the only part that would be "easy" would be having the MASTER ARM switch work WITH the Gun HUD panel.

Later
Sludge

lvflyer

« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51:30 pm »
What if the weapons and controls are already written in C++ using simconnect and all that is needed is the switch and display?  Because that's what Underway is.  It is a complete multiplayer weapons, effect, and damage assessment server and client.  Right now we have seperate windows that open up showing all the switches and controls and weapons management, not unlike VRS Hornet, but what we don't have is something simulating on the dash switches and displays.  So essentially all that would be needed is an overlay that can be positioned over an area on the VC cockpit.  The Guns and the corresponding simulated rounds could probably be fed through simconnect for position and actually indicate damage that is managed by the server, which the server already does for its own guns.  We do need someone who is knowledgable in creating smoke trail and flame effects though and actual damge images.  The guts and controls are already created starting several years ago.  They just were exclusively tested by a certain VA because it was going to be payware.  Now its going to be freeware.  I really would like to use the Sludge and other freeware code for this project so it can be developed into complete package and released so all will have the same images and choices of airframes, ships, submarines, and ground vehicles.

GOONIE

« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2011, 03:10:11 am »
Sludge,
I always fly with the auto rudders enabled because I don't have rudder pedals  ;)

Also I noticed the ALA light is a little off on my sludge hornet. I see the ALA assembly on the nose wheel, but the light is floating a little to the left and in front of the ALA box, any help? Does your light look like it is coming from the ALA box, correct placement?

Was trying to land the jet while viewing the aircraft from the LSO platform only when I noticed the ALA light floating, has anyone else tried to land from the LSO view point? Got several wave offs, but was seeing if I could get the sight picture for some future multi player sessions.

Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:01 am »
LVFlyer...

We will have to Skype call sometime and hash this out. Too much for just this forum and too much details that would be easier to explain real-time.

CAPT...

Yeah, I have the same thing sometimes, just depends on where you deploy your gear and when the ALA lights are started. If you test them out, you can get them over the ALA assembly in the exterior model just by reloading, then dropping your gear when you are straight and level. The bad part is, because these lights are actually NOT part of the model and "attached", they can drift from their original DISPLAY POINTS, if you will.

So yes, my lights do that too. Just another LIM FAC we have to deal with.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
Fellas...

I'm heading out to Miami friday VIA Dallas Love field for a long weekend to see a buddy getting back from Afghanistan. In the meantime, I finished up the "test Sludge FX", so feel free to download, try out, and give feedback.

In testing, please try to test out ALL flight regimes, do some carrier patterns, cross-countries, and dogfighting, let me know how it handles in all regimes... how it pulls Gs, does G-Limiter pull you back below 7.5 Gs, is the roll rate acceptable in PA and UA flight modes, can you hold in a pattern turn with little effort, things like that... Tomorrow, I'll try to get a comprehensive list of changes, so that you can give more detailed feedback.

OK, so the download install instructions are easy... Move any prior SludgeFA18_FX in your FSX\AIRCRAFT folder somewhere else. Download from the link below "Test Sludge.ZIP". UNZIP Test Sludge.ZIP to desktop. Copy/paste the effects into the FSX\EFFECTS folder (overwrite? yes.). Copy/paste the med-g.wav in the SOUND folder into FSX\SOUND folder. Copy/paste the SludgeFA18_FX into your FSX\AIRCRAFT folder. Start FSX and go fly. Keep in mind, I tried to keep the size down, so its only 1 paint, the Black NASA Test paint.

http://www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/Test Sludge.zip

I'll be watching the board 'til tomorrow night when I leave for Dallas, so if you have any problems, get back to me and I'll try to get them fixed.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:26:00 am by Sludge »

GOONIE

« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »
Very cool Sludge, downloading now, will test out and report back.  8)

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."