Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 245401 times)

MikeB54

Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #345 on: October 26, 2011, 04:42:30 am »
Well, now I'm embarrassed.  I can't reproduce the behavior.  When I started the vLSO mission over the weekend the trim was set to 0.8 NU and if I tried to adjust it it went back to 0.8.  Today, with the base.xml file from the zip file, the trim is set to 0.0 and I can adjust it all I want and it stays where I set it.  

I need to completely start over and reproduce the steps I did over the weekend to see if I can get the same behavior.  

Mike

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #346 on: October 26, 2011, 08:03:00 am »
CAPT...

Almost done with re-coding, CAB'ing, and testing. Once I'm done I'll try to get everything into the FULL Sludge AUTO-INSTALLER. As much as I like the LEF at Auto, it just didnt work as good as I'd originally hoped for during carrier trials. Oh well. Back to MANUAL they both go.

So far, I like the newer AIR file too, it seems to be holding up well and the drag on the gear, definately keeps the Hornet in the 85 percent N2 with full bags of gas (33k) on final.

Mike...

No worries. I was looking at that and I couldn't get it to reproduce as you said... will keep tweaking and waiting for word IF you can get it happen again. In the meantime, I'll send you some pics, which are "hands off" at 85% N2 cat shots, that I do regularly. The first pic is HANDS OFF, and if you'll notice it has 2.2 units UP Trim and 34 units UP Elevator at 85% N2. The second pic is now HANDS ON, W about 13 deg, v/vector about 7 deg and still fast.

Let me know how far off these pics look in comparison to what you experienced in the sim, and I will try to get the climbout performance profile as close as I can.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2011, 06:48:22 pm »
Fellas...

Still got some optimizations going, so the newest fixes are coming just bear with me on the time as I keep finding new things.

I have a question for Serge, JR, or Virtuali (if you're listening)... are there XML tokens that will let me know IF a certain SMOKE (ie. [A: Smoke 7, bool] or a specific PANEL (ie. (A: Panel 6, bool) is active? I dont know if the listed examples are the correct format/syntax but I think you understand what I'm asking. I need this data for another LIMITING parameter, so that I dont KEY FLOOD using the FX XMLs (G-vapor and EG Smoke).

Also, you guys have seen my XMLs. When I remove the ELS statements, the gauges dont work... why is that? I've looked at some of your gauges and there seem to be open IF statements that do the same type of operations but dont have an ELS, and yet they work. Am I missing something in the format/syntax?

Thanks
Sludge
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:50:58 pm by Sludge »

SUBS17

« Reply #348 on: October 31, 2011, 04:58:13 am »
Nice work Sludge I finally found time to take it for a spin today and do a trap and I have a few questions regarding textures. Why does the skin and pit textures look low res? Is this using a modified FSX Accel Hornet pit or is it all made by Sludge? The external model of the 3d model is low res as well compared to FSX accel Hornet how can it be made higher res? The ground handling and flight model handles very well BTW and carrier landings are good in this bird although low res pit makes it difficult to find the fuel dump button. Also the meatball gauge is very cool.

Orion

« Reply #349 on: October 31, 2011, 05:58:43 am »
Nice work Sludge I finally found time to take it for a spin today and do a trap and I have a few questions regarding textures. Why does the skin and pit textures look low res? Is this using a modified FSX Accel Hornet pit or is it all made by Sludge? The external model of the 3d model is low res as well compared to FSX accel Hornet how can it be made higher res? The ground handling and flight model handles very well BTW and carrier landings are good in this bird although low res pit makes it difficult to find the fuel dump button. Also the meatball gauge is very cool.
It's a modified Acceleration Hornet.  Sludge edited the flight dynamics and did the effects, while J.R. did the HUD (based off Scott Printz's original work) among other gauges, and Serge (fsxnavypilot) did the rest of the gauges, along with the soundpack.  Any discrepancies between the visual model of the Sludge Hornet and default Hornet are placebos.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #350 on: October 31, 2011, 07:40:29 am »
SUBS...

Thanks. Yes, the entire "Sludge Hornet" is simply a compiled and cohesive collection of gauges, mods, fixes, and repaints FOR the default Hornet. Not really, for the externals, I dont think its necessarily "low res" but has some of the "gloss" and specular layer stuff taken off... Ray Gagnon did most of the non-default repaints, so you can ask him, but I'm pretty sure he stuck with DXT5, high res textures. You can definately THANK Serge for the meatball gauge, and also Skippy Bing for the trap gauge and the controller gauge that allows them to pop-up when the tailhook comes down.

Most of the stuff I have done is with the AIR file, the AIRCRAFT.CFG, tweaking the flight dynamics, getting the FX right (g-vapor at 4 g's, exhaust gas smoke), and now XMLs that engage AUTO-RUDDER while in landing config. Also, worked with Raz on making an Auto-Installer and have kept the Sludge together as a whole package.

Right now, between passes on Serge's newer vLSO BETA, I'm working on optimizing and cleaning up my XMLs, so they aren't KEY FLOODing, once they activate the required effect. Meaning, when the activation parameters are met, say for G-Vapor... the XML GAUGE would KEY EVENT Smoke.15/16 (g-vapor smokes) ONLY ONCE. Then, the plane goes out of parameters for G-Vapor to appear, and it KEY EVENTs Smoke.15/16 to STOP ONLY ONCE. To put it simply, the problem of KEY FLOODing is: its as if you kept keying in the "I" key to start a certain effect two times a second (current XML refresh rate). Now, get a couple of these effects going and you can easily see how it will FLOOD FSX w/extraneous key strokes and you will LOSE FPS. Guess thats why the boys over at FSDEVELOPER.com called it "key flooding"?

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:22:48 am by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #351 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:13 am »
Fellas...

No answer for my above questions about a SIMVAR that has current state of Panels, (A:PANEL_6, bool), or Smokes ,(A:smoke.15, bool)? Anything would help.

Thanks
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #352 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »
Fellas...

OK, nothing heard on the Smokes or Panels, so moving that to the backburner. However, last night, in a Skype session with JIMI.. had a few revelations about flight controls and how to make even more crucial, closer-to-real world adjustments in the .AIR file. The next few nights, I will be working exclusively on this, as it will HIGHLY impact the next Sludge release.

To Date:
1- I moved ALL FLAPS back to MANUAL. I loved the LEF (leading edge flaps) in AUTO during UA (up-away) flight, as during high-AoA, they would extend as needed during BFM/ACM. However, during approaches, they would change position too much and make solid approaches harder to accomplish. The jet would fight you more than necessary to stay ON-SPEED and ON-G/S. As well, it was harder to maintain good pattern speeds and final rollouts, as the changing AoA/LEF made the energy management too burdensome.

2- CLEANED UP most of the XMLs. They now are NOT KEY FLOODers. You should get very few stutters and hangups with the Sludge gauges now, with the exception of the effects, such as G-Vapor or Exhaust Smokes.

3- Working on newer, updated flight dynamics/flight control responsiveness curves (FA-18.AIR) and changing the [Flight Tuning] scalars (AIRCRAFT.CFG) back to 1.0 (for the most part), to normalize behaviors. Starting to lean more on the .AIR file, vice the AIRCRAFT.CFG, for flight dynamics/control surface changes from here on out.

For everyone: Do you want me to put the fixed XMLs in a .ZIP file here, so you can test them out? Or would you rather wait 'til I get everything done and upgrade as whole?

Also, I'm considering REMOVING the AUTO-COORDINATED Rudder... but will wait to hear from everyone on that, as I'd like some input from others that have flown and what their experience has been, good or bad? If you dont have the updates and would like to help... when you are flying carrier patterns, enable AUTO-COORDINATION (FSX default CTRL-SHIFT-U). Do several, take a few notes on the handling and how well you were able to maintain pattern integrity. Then DISable AUTO-COORD, fly some patterns and let me know of your personal differences. Easy way to tell if AUTO-COORD is enabled IN FLIGHT is: bring up the ADI screen on right/left DDI. Below the heading/attitude "ball", there are THREE rectangles above ONE rectangle. This is a digital turn-slip indicator. If you have AUTO-COORD ENABLED, the ONE rectangle will stay centered in turns, and obviously, if DISABLED, it will lean into the direction of turn.

Thanks in advance for the people that do this and help me out.

If you have any suggestions, send them my way.

Later
Sludge

IRONDAN

« Reply #353 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:53 pm »
Is there a way also to change the colors of the MFDs symbology just like the upgraded f/a-18 A+ and to have external payload like Captainsim ?

Dan (big fan)

Orion

« Reply #354 on: November 02, 2011, 11:35:50 pm »
Is there a way also to change the colors of the MFDs symbology just like the upgraded f/a-18 A+ and to have external payload like Captainsim ?
No and no.  The MFD is written by FSDreamTeam and is a compiled C++ gauge, FA-18.dll.  It is not possible to modify a C++ gauge DLL file.  The external model was created by Captain Sim, who later modified it to create their XLoad addon.  It is not possible to modify a compiled model for FSX, either.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:05 am »
Dan...

As Orion already pointed out, I cant modify to your requests. Believe me... some of us have even tried to talk to Capt Sim about making a modified Alpha or Charlie Hornet external model, but they absolutely will NOT help us in any way.

Anyway, glad to hear you're a fan... and if you fly some patterns, let me know what you think/prefer of FSX AUTO-COORD rudder.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2011, 01:13:52 am »
Sludge,

I'm looking forward to the finished product.

My two cents on the Auto Coordination question, according to Chris, the rudder pedals are almost never used in flight.  He flies "feet on the floor".

Mike

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #357 on: November 03, 2011, 05:27:57 am »
Mike...

Yeah, I remember you telling us he said that, especially IN THE PATTERN. However, what I'm asking is, have you flown with AUTO-COORD ON and OFF (not using the pedals), but just have it ENABLED and DISABLED, so that I can get feedback. My prior thought process was I thought the ENABLED AUTO-COORD rudder MIMICKED a FBW rudder in turns. Now, from a few flights (will make more tonight), I'm not so sure that leaving it DISABLED, and letting the Hornet SLIP a little in turns, doesn't do a good enough job of emulating a FBW rudder. Thats the reason I need feedback.

Just to be clear, I know in the real world, you dont use RUDDER PEDALS in the pattern, or most of the time in the Hornet. This is test is simply for the FEEL of the AUTO-COORD rudder and how patterns feel with it ENABLED or DISABLED and NOT USING your pedals either way.

Hope that clears things up and not trying to sound condescending.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2011, 05:57:41 am »
Sludge,

Not condescending at all.  I understand what you are looking for now.  I'll do some test flights each way and let you know what I see.

Mike

lvflyer

« Reply #359 on: November 03, 2011, 02:59:12 pm »
So let me see if I got this straight.  The MFDs are not modifiable by us at all?  If so then how difficult would it be to activate one of the buttons on the MFD to open up and display an addon loadout/ESM/Sensors/IR/AA Refueling/etc screen in the same location as the MFD?  Also can we incorporate more weapons in the Gun control in the HUD.  Reason I ask is that progress is being made in converting the Underway project to all FSX and we are designing specifically to incolude the Sludge modifications.  Within the Underway program we have the ability to deploy sonabouys and target ground vessels that are being piloted either automatically or by another player and they all have their own defenses.  We do need modelers to create explosion and damage effects, but we have the sound and the server indicates how much damage was sustained and will remove it from the radar, which is also a gauge included that needs to be displayed somewhere if we can't use the onboard one.  Right now all controls and readouts are in seperate windows so any aircraft can use the program and participate in the multiplayer scenario.  Sure would be great if we can incorporate the targeting info on the HUD and the control switches somewhere in the existing VC.