Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 245528 times)

BertAtHome

Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #420 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:43 am »
To Slugde and Orion..

Thank you for the update..

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #421 on: May 01, 2012, 08:32:51 am »
Fellas...

Sorry for the hiatus but I've been trying to limit my modding hours to 1am. I should have a "Sludge TestBird 2" out this week, along with some effects fixes, such as the wingtipvortice (alot shorter and fades "better"), and a new nimitz carrier wake (more "lifelike" and longer).

Here's a teaser of both after the reference pictures I used as a basis for the newer wake... let me know what you think.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:35:08 am by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:52 am »
Looking REAL GOOD8)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Johan

« Reply #423 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:30 pm »
I like it too, really nice!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:10 pm »
Fellas...

Thanks, glad you like it. Now, I may try to get it to alpha fade a little better towards the end but thatll be the final fix. Now, for details on the upcoming "Sludge TestBird 2" release.

1- Revised HUD symobology graphics to make them "skinnier" and less obtrusive, especially in the 2D HUD. 2D HUD and gauges now with more alpha blend to conform with Y/T videos that show less bright HUD symbology.
2- Changed the default eyepoint to coincide with a higher, closer "non-widescreen" view. (these changes precipitated by my experience at the miramar sim)
3- Repositioned and regauged "Trim", "Weight", "Fuel" (TWF) readouts to the center of the screen while the "wire caught" (WC) info stays where it was originally. Also, the TWF info comes up with gear down, on-ground or in-air... whereas, WC info/IFLOLS comes up with hook down.
4- Removed "radio stack" gauge altogether.
5- Completely reformatted/removed the "Sludge" aircraft, from the "SludgeFA-18 Basic/FX" folders now named "FA-18A+ Basic/FX" as well as the internal naming of the aircraft and its designations within FSX.
6- Repositioned all the VC/2D gauges for more ease of use (hopefully).
7- Updated Doug Dawson's sound gauge (DSD_FS9 to DSD_FSX version) and the Betty sounds will now play out of headsets IF you have them enabled in Windows and FSX as your default communications device. If you dont, they will still play in the normal speaker environment.

More info on other changes coming this week.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:07:58 pm by Sludge »

GOONIE

« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »
 :o WOW!!!

Very exciting news, this combined with some new work that Serge has up his sleeves is going to rock the FSX Naval Aviation experience!

Thanks for keeping us posted Sludge, standing by for testing orders sir  ;)

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Razgriz

« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »
Fellas...

Thanks, glad you like it. Now, I may try to get it to alpha fade a little better towards the end but thatll be the final fix. Now, for details on the upcoming "Sludge TestBird 2" release.

1- Revised HUD symobology graphics to make them "skinnier" and less obtrusive, especially in the 2D HUD. 2D HUD and gauges now with more alpha blend to conform with Y/T videos that show less bright HUD symbology.
2- Changed the default eyepoint to coincide with a higher, closer "non-widescreen" view. (these changes precipitated by my experience at the miramar sim)
3- Repositioned and regauged "Trim", "Weight", "Fuel" (TWF) readouts to the center of the screen while the "wire caught" (WC) info stays where it was originally. Also, the TWF info comes up with gear down, on-ground or in-air... whereas, WC info comes up with hook down.
4- Removed "radio stack" gauge altogether.
5- Completely reformatted/removed the "Sludge" aircraft, from the "SludgeFA-18 Basic/FX" folders now named "FA-18A+ Basic/FX" as well as the internal naming of the aircraft and its designations within FSX.
6- Repositioned all the VC/2D gauges for more ease of use (hopefully).
7- Updated Doug Dawson's sound gauge (DSD_FS9 to DSD_FSX version) and the Betty sounds will now play out of headsets IF you have them enabled in Windows and FSX as your default communications device. If you dont, they will still play in the normal speaker environment.

More info on other changes coming this week.

Later
Sludge

Might have to gear up again to test this thing out!

DigitAL

« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2012, 01:13:44 am »
Sweet!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
Fellas...

Here's the good news. I was able to tweak/mod most of the general handling characteristics of the Hornet in the lower speed regime. Such as being on-speed in the 140 kts range (~115 kts GS; 140 MINUS 27-25 WoD), or the <150 kts "squirrelly" handling feeling of the Hornet. All the while, keeping the things that work (ie. Hornet at ~85% on PA) as advertised. Also, I was able to play with and match some of JIMIs afterburner scales/mach numbers (AIR file) to get our clean Hornet to Mach 1.8 @ =/> 20k' w/80% fuel. This will get tweaked more when I get more time, as this solves the BURNER/Top End Speed problem at mid/higher altitudes but doesn't solve the =/< MIL power inadequacies.

Now the bad news. I haven't fully fixed the lower speed regime handing, nor implemented 8.1 AoA/auto-trim @ flaps full, gear down, below 200 kts. Also, some of the PA FM/FCS stuff I wanted to changed isn't implemented yet, the pilot still has to manually trim (past the 5.5 XML "ballpark setting") to maintain AoA in PA. Some of it due to lack of programming ability/creativity, as well as lack of time from self-imposed curfew of 1am, and taking care of personal responsibilities due to my upcoming move.

I've reached a stopping point, and want feedback, especially on the new look and layout.

Couple things to remember:
1. Let me know the GOOD in one paragraph and the BAD in another paragraph. This will make it much easier for me to keep a running tally on who likes what and how I can change things to fit the MAJORITY. Such things like the placement of the gauges, 2D HUD alpha brightness, or the layout of the TWF block. I can make one-time changes for a few but those will be on a VERY LIMITED, case-by-case basis (yes, Herb... this means I will make a VERY BRIGHT 2D HUD version for you... no worries, friend).
2. Finally, keep in mind that once I release this (hopefully before Friday), I will NOT make tweak/mod changes, ONLY fixes to get it running in the event something doesn't work. Again, this is due to personal time constraints from my upcoming move and I have to stop 'til I'm completely settled in the new place.
3. I have EXTREMELY tough skin, so no need for platitudes to soothe any feelings you think might get hurt, they wont... HAMMER AWAY with criticisms! This will give me motivation during my upcoming break when I'm moving into the new duplex to get setup and get back to modding/tweaking as quickly as possible.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #429 on: May 06, 2012, 03:49:23 am »
Fellas...

Sorry for the delay but now gonna try for Sunday night. I had to fix a few oversights with the new headset sound volumes and moved the "OverG" sound from the default to Serge's BlackBox Betty. The HUD is looking good and will be finishing up the Manual Install procedures.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #430 on: May 07, 2012, 07:27:10 am »
Fellas...

The SludgeTestBird 2 is ready for download/install and testing. Test her out and tell me what you like and dont like. Just remember, I wont be available to address criticisms 'til after the 16th, unless its a pure functionality (wont work in FSX at all; install problem) issue.

www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/SludgeTestBird 2.zip

Enjoy.
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #431 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:43 am »

Hi Sludge,

Just downloaded the TestBird2 and I am resetting the panel a little to accommodate some other addons I have, like CSWeapons. I also had to rework my FA18_HUD_Init to show the features I want on the HUD2d. So far the bird works great. Much faster it seems and reactive as the previous one. I also like the steady stop on the AC Carrier. Vapor effects work great. I would like a little more luminosity on the HUD and on the IFLOLS/TrapGauge...is it the alpha_blend value to increase?
So far very good, I will continue the testing. Thanks so much and have a smooth move...

Johan

Victory103

« Reply #432 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:30 am »
About to test, looking over the read-me (yes I actually read these) looks like with these changes I should only test in the stock config and not add to the CS Delta. I typically fly the Delta more as I like having drop tank options on a short legged airframe like the Hornet. Anything I need to look out for if/when I do move the updates over to the D?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

GOONIE

« Reply #433 on: May 08, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »
Hey Sludge, nice work!

Took the bird for a spin, need to do some more testing but here is some initial feedback

GOOD:
Like the new eye point and HUD perspective (seems smaller) in the VC
Like the sharper HUD graphics in the 2D view
Like the separate trim/fuel  and IFLOLS/Trap gauges
Like the handling off the cat and behind the ship, but need to get more traps
Like the new wing tip vortices

BAD:
The hook tip disappears into the carrier deck when down
Cannot get the ILS to show up on the HUD in the VC, only in the 2D HUD, am I doing something wrong?
Like the new long carrier wake, but the color of the wake is a Caribbean blue (looks funny in the Atlantic Ocean), is there a way to make it darker?
2D HUD seems a little too dim for day ops for my setup, so I upped the value in the panel file
Also the 2D HUD FPS seems slower, anyone else notice this?

I'll keep testing.
CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #434 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »
Fellas...

At work and took a peek at the forum today. Good to see people are testing out to what they like and dont like. Let me know if you are testing the new Betty that comes thru the headsets and having any problems with it or if it works. I forgot to add, that if you do test it, you have to setup the separate USB headset as the "default communications" device in Windows and the Voice device FSX sound settings. This will ensure Doug Dawson's sound gauge sends the Betty sounds to the headset (voice device) and the rest to the speaker system. The Betty "Over G" can be tested very easily, as well as the RLAW (radar low alt warning) Tone, preset to 400 (I think), or the Altitude, preset to 10k'.

Johan...

Thanks, working on packing the living room this week. As for the 2D HUD, you can change the luminosity by opening the Panel.CFG file and changing the 2D panel [Window00] alpha blend to a higher percentage. Good to see you tweaking some things on your own, thats what I hope everyone tries at some point.

CAPT...

Good = noted for reference.

Bad = will get back to you on the fixes upcoming, especially the ILS not showing up. Might get that confirmed/fixed/tested tonight, as I dont like it when something doesnt work.

later
Sludge