Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 245477 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2011, 06:43:32 pm »
Fellas...

Alive and well, back from vacation, ready to start modding again. I see that Serge is back, so alot of these threads will start to be interconnected.

I saw that LV was able to figure out what's happening with being dropped from multiplayer sessions using the Sludge Hornet. Ill talk to him and find out the exact details of what's happening and how that affected him, so if others come up with that same error, we have a basis from which to troubleshoot.

Ill try to be on this week, once I get things squared away.

Later
Sludge

lvflyer

« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
Welcome back you were missed

GOONIE

« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2011, 08:45:48 pm »
Welcome back! Wanted to say I am enjoying the Sludge Hornet as usual, one thing I noticed which is great is the take off trim mod. Works like a charm on the carrier for the correct rotation and fly away (better than the default). Only wish I had a "towel rack" to hold onto  ;)

-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Johan

« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:32 am »
Hi Sludge,

Welcome back. Hope you had a great time. I have been flying your plane a lot and still think it's the greatest bird out there. Always ready and willing to test your new ideas.

Johan

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
Fellas...

I've got some XML re-coding work to do for the Sludge this weekend because after reading and SOMEWHAT UNDERSTANDING this post at FSDEVELOPER: http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77148, I realized my XML Key Event coding is REALLY BAD. From my readings, especially post #16 by Geoff, my gauges are doing alot of "Key Event FLOODING" that is probly not helping with frame rates. Especially bad in Multiplayer. From what I understand, even at 2/sec or 4/sec refresh rate, my gauges are still gonna 'cause a drop in frames. The code may end up being longer, but the payoff will be better frame rates.

I'll probly add some AND conditionals to all my Key Events to make it a one time action loop. Theoretical example (im at work right now, cant give specific) but something along the lines of:
Smoke #7 Key Event This is the Key Event that occurs at the refresh rate of the gauge. FSX default is 18 times/sec.
if{ 7 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 7 (>K:SMOKE_OFF)} <<-- might have to make TWO separate (Smoke #7_On/Smoke #7_Off) Events but make both Event ELS parameters as (empty) els{ }?

Closing the action loop, making it a ONE TIME action. Will ADD this BEFORE the Smoke #7_On Key Event. Might not be this exact code specific syntax, but you get the point.
(A:Smoke_7, bool) &gt &gt  So if Smoke #7_On is already ACTIVE, the Key Event doesn't take place.

So expect a Sludge update after I get the XMLs re-written, tested, and confirmed to work as prior but with now closed-loop Key Events.

Later
Sludge

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:37 pm »
Sounds like a great modification Sludge, hope you have good luck with it.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

lvflyer

« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2011, 10:57:55 pm »
Sounds great, do you want to be on the email conversation with the Underway development with Geoff and get all the first hand coding discoveries we are finding?  We can use yours and any other's expertise.  The goal is to make this an open development for all that are interested to rival anything that has been.  We need some refined bitmap development for switches and displays on the Sludge panel so we can have a seamless integration.  It would be nice to have those controls incorporated in the MFD as in real life with life like weapons loadouts and such.

OOPs wrong Geoff, although he has helped us a bit.  Underway is Capn_Geoff.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:14:56 am by lvflyer »

wilycoyote4

« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2011, 04:06:18 am »
Thanks sludge, you sure can surprise the readers of this forum, certainly me, I mean that's way over my head,stratopheric.  Well done.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:11 am »
Fellas...

Almost done with ALL the re-codings. Close to wrapping things up and starting final FULL testing before distribution. Was able to get most gauges, even though its a bit awkward (brute force methods/heavy handed) at this point 'cause of my LACK of XML syntax and understanding. Some of my gauges are probly unnecessarily long because of it, so this request goes out to the XML'ers out there... can you combine some of the lines I have, so that the XML isn't soo cluttered and/or inefficient? If you have a re-write, just do it and send it to me for testing and then CABing.

Also, in my BASE.XML, for the PA (powered approach) Elev Trim, I have: (A:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT, percent) 14 !=, which asks if aircraft sim var of Elev Trim PCT is not equal to 14 percent. I need someone to either send the code or send me back the modded .XML with the correct code, that would say IF elevator is EQUAL OR LESS THAN 14 percent. I've tried <=, but it didn't work. I know something isnt right.

My goal is to have an ELEMENT like this:

(A:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT, percent) 14 !=  <-- maybe this would be: (A:ELEVATOR TRIM PCT, percent) 14 <= ?? (hasnt worked, I tried)
(A:FLAPS HANDLE PERCENT, percent) 75 &gt; &amp;&amp;
(A:GEAR CENTER POSITION, percent) 95 &gt; &amp;&amp;
(A:GENERAL ENG COMBUSTION:2,bool)  &amp;&amp;
(A:SIM ON GROUND, bool) ! &amp;&amp;
if{ 2400 (&gt;K:ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET) } els{  }

BUT IF the pilot has Elev Trim set for 13 units or less, to kick it up to 14 and END. No open ended Key Events, please.

Thanks in advance if others can help out. BTW, also including the FA-18.AIR file. Made some pertinent changes and I would recommend setting both FLAPS to MANUAL (setting it to ZERO in the AIRCRAFT.CFG file). As further testing with this .AIR file and setting both to ZERO has pretty much brought back ROCK SOLID approaches again. The AoA based LEF (leading edge flaps) are just too fickle for approaches and flying the pattern. It's each person's choice, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND setting both FLAPS back to MANUAL.

The included AIR file is for both Sludge Basic and FX aircraft.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #339 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:54 am »
Sludge,
just use these:

<= - &lt;=
>= - &gt;=

PS. You can find their usage examples in JR's or my XML gauges.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:49:38 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:23 pm »
Serge...

Much thanks. I'll get to work on that tonight, when I get home from golfing. Guess I missed those, as I looked at both your gauges for examples of this, but that was late last night and I could've easily overlooked it.

Heading out but thanks for the info.

Later
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #341 on: October 24, 2011, 03:51:20 am »
Sludge,

I have been flying your recent mods this afternoon and stumbled onto something I am really happy with.

The 0.8 nose up trim in the modified base.xml wasn't working for me at all.  I had to aggressively pitch up after a cat shot to establish a positive rate of climb.  Since I was an idiot and didn't make a copy of the original base.xml I decided to test my XML skills and see if I could modify it to try and get the same experience on launch I had in the sim a couple of weeks ago.

I think you may be surprised at what I ended up doing.  I deleted all references to the elevators in the base.xml file.  Both trim elements and the deflection element.  This puts the responsibility for T/O trim settings strictly in the lap of the pilot. 

While I was at it I think I found the sweet spot.  8 units nose up.  With that setting I need very little stick movement for pitch control.  Power is now the major controlling factor.  I need no nose up pitch in the turns as long as I keep it below 30 degrees AoB.  Once in the groove the stick is still neutral in pitch.  It's all power.  If it isn't the same as the real sim it's pretty damned close.  :)

Mike

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #342 on: October 24, 2011, 04:08:20 am »
Mike...

I have been flying your recent mods this afternoon and stumbled onto something I am really happy with.

OK, so you mean the mods I just put out including the newer .AIR file, along with modding both Flaps to MANUAL?

The 0.8 nose up trim in the modified base.xml wasn't working for me at all.  I had to aggressively pitch up after a cat shot to establish a positive rate of climb.

So the Elev Up as well doesn't help either? On my cat shots, Im about 85 percent N2, w/no stick inputs... I will climb PAST 10 deg nose up UNLESS I neutral out the stick as I turn to BRC. I'll take some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about, IF you can also do the same, so I can see what you're talking about in the climb out. In the pics, can you make sure the HUD and the ENGINE MFD is pulled up, and tell me your state "hands off/hands on" for each pic?

I'll mess with it tonight, to get an idea of what you're talking about, so we can work on this.

Thanks
Sludge

MikeB54

« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2011, 05:00:28 am »
Mike...

OK, so you mean the mods I just put out including the newer .AIR file, along with modding both Flaps to MANUAL?

Yes, the files in the XMLs_AIRFILE.zip you posted earlier.  I installed the air file, the base.xml and the fx.xml.

So the Elev Up as well doesn't help either? On my cat shots, Im about 85 percent N2, w/no stick inputs... I will climb PAST 10 deg nose up UNLESS I neutral out the stick as I turn to BRC. I'll take some pics to illustrate what I'm talking about, IF you can also do the same, so I can see what you're talking about in the climb out. In the pics, can you make sure the HUD and the ENGINE MFD is pulled up, and tell me your state "hands off/hands on" for each pic?

I'll mess with it tonight, to get an idea of what you're talking about, so we can work on this.

Thanks
Sludge

I'll have to test it again with the deflection element back in.  I also use about 85% N2 for cat launches.  Normal procedure is hands off on the launch, a little nose down to keep the nose up pitch around 10, power back to get the speed back to around 150 kts, power to maintain AoA once I level off at 600.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.  I'm on the east coast and it's getting late.

Mike

GOONIE

« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2011, 04:21:57 am »
Hey Sludge,
Tried out your new .air file tonight, really like the new mods and the way the jet handles around the boat.

Thanks!
-Capt
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."