Author Topic: Lag is an issue  (Read 11224 times)

SgtMav316

Lag is an issue
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:03:48 pm »
I dont know if this is normal, but there is always an extreme amount of lag when looking in the direction of the terminal area. I can understand that it may take the computer a while to process the area before it fully loads. But when your on the ground and taxiing to the gate, when you look at an area that has fewer trees the sim runs smoothly. But when you pan the veiw towards the terminal area, which has a lot of trees around it. The frame rate begins to lag severely.

Any suggestions on settings to put in place for this scenery to run smoothly, It seems to be sometimes that happens with all of FSDT large airports. I have JFK and Ft Lauderdale airports and this occurs there as well.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Lag is an issue
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:49 am »
It's not a problem of our sceneries, which are very well known to have good performances but, most likely, the number AI airplanes, which tends to concentrate on the terminals. Try to turn traffic off, and you'll see this.

kdfw

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:25 am »
Definitely not AI on my setup, 100% or 0%, same result.  Using a sophisticated addon airplane, frame rate minimum drops from 25 to 3.5 when the main terminal comes into view (using trackIR).  Default cessna didn't exhibit such a FR drop.    As long as i peek back at the terminal often, it's smooth, but once cycle thru the 'S' key, the textue reload causes this stutter. 

Always thought it was a texure thing but sounds like there's no solution. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »
3.5 fps on FS9 it's just not possible, it's surely not a scenery, and it seems your system has serious issues. KDFW, on a system in good health can easily run at 25 ON FSX!

In any case, you should ALWAYS start diagnosing with a default airplane (in bold, because I'm not telling you have to use a default airplane, just you have to use it to troubleshoot issues) otherwise, how you would know if the scenery it's the source of your problem ?

kdfw

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:24:04 pm »
I look at the minimum FPS, not the average.  Average FPS is around 28 (locked at 29) but min drops to 3.5 for a brief moment when the terminal comes into view. 

Other FSDT/C9 airports are fine, just something to do w/ texture or something around the main terminal area that causes the hiccup in gfx.  Using a oc'd i7-920 w/ good gfx card so hw-wise not a problem.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »
I look at the minimum FPS, not the average.  Average FPS is around 28 (locked at 29) but min drops to 3.5 for a brief moment when the terminal comes into view. 

I'm not able to experience such minimums, and certainly not on FS9, and nobody reported it before.

Other FSDT/C9 airports are fine, just something to do w/ texture or something around the main terminal area that causes the hiccup in gfx.  Using a oc'd i7-920 w/ good gfx card so hw-wise not a problem.

Your system is perfectly capable to run FSX and it's just wasted on FS9, since FS9 can't handle textures loading in multithreading so, you are not getting any benefit from your 4 cores and texture loading *can* stall the sim in FS9.

Have you tried using the Texture Resizer, available here ?

kdfw

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 06:42:23 am »
Umberto,
Thanks, yes, I've been using the smaller texture.  I don't think this is a big deal for me, the runway/taxiway surface bleed thru in the next topic is more of a concern for me anyway.

I don't feel like wasting time tweaking FSX and buying all the addons all over again (except FSDT stuff) so I'll stick with FS9 for a while.  Not really a slow'n low flyer so FS9 is the optimum platform for me. 

Thanks,
Pat

svache

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:47:18 am »
Unfortunately I am another person who has the same problem (which is why I signed up with the forums). I tried the AI thing, it's usually on 100% and I put it back to 0% to check if it was the AI, but unfortunately I also have this 'lag' coming up.

For example, when I am parked in the standard Cessna on the GA ramp, and go to spot view and turn around, from time to time my view stops for half a second, as if it is a lag. There is no FPS drop though, and it is only with this scenery. The other FSDT Hawaii airports don't have this problem, neither does any other free or payware airport.]

If it was just outside view, then it wouldn't be so bad. But I experience it also during approach and such, and it is a bit annoying to have the smooth movement stop every now and then for half a second.

I didn't try the smaller textures yet, I'll give that a try first to see if that makes a difference or not.

Also, I don't know what kind of setup KDFW has, but I too work with a 4 core pc and have no troubles running FSX either but, like him, I also don't feel much for buying all the other addons all over again for FSX as it can get quite expensive. In time perhaps, but for now I will stick with FS9 (like many others do as well for similar reasons).

Anyways, like said, I will give the smaller textures a try and will report back later =)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
I too work with a 4 core pc and have no troubles running FSX either but, like him, I also don't feel much for buying all the other addons all over again for FSX as it can get quite expensive.

You don't have to repurchase any of our addons and, if you have FSX installed on your system, can you at least try if the FSX version has this problem ? Installing it in FSX will not consume an activation (if it's on the same system under the same Windows install) and it will already run in registered mode.

svache

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 12:30:20 am »
I too work with a 4 core pc and have no troubles running FSX either but, like him, I also don't feel much for buying all the other addons all over again for FSX as it can get quite expensive.

You don't have to repurchase any of our addons and, if you have FSX installed on your system, can you at least try if the FSX version has this problem ? Installing it in FSX will not consume an activation (if it's on the same system under the same Windows install) and it will already run in registered mode.
Hi,

Sorry for my late reply, I've been quite busy and couldn't find the time to test it all out earlier. However, I just did it all and there are no problems under FSX so I guess it was a FS9 related issue. I then tried the texture resizer, and that actually worked, there's no lag anymore as I experienced before so that's all good :D

And yeah, I know, you guys do offer the software on both systems for only one price, and I honestly wish others did that too, then the switch wouldn't be so hard to make, but right now, unfortunately there's so much that I would want which makes me hold off for now still.

richiemo

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:00:09 am »
How do you do texture resizer. It sounds familiar but where do I go to do it. Cause I have the lag problem in FS9 too

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:00:52 am »
How do you do texture resizer

Reading the "PHNL Texture resizer" sticky message will probably help you:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2689.0