Author Topic: Strange Pauses at Dreamteam Airports?  (Read 8794 times)

rhodges

Strange Pauses at Dreamteam Airports?
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »
I began this subject thinking I had a problem relative to an aircraft. Discoveries have implied that it is probable that this is something Dreamteam might be more interested in as an airport problem. Copies of my posts on another forum are as follow:

"At KJFK aircraft movement on the ground or in the air pauses at a consistant cycle between every four seconds. Happens when either in the taxi,slew, or flight modes of operation. As soon as I depart the area, the pause goes away. Frame rates are in the 40's. At any other location I have checked thus far, the problem does not appear. I am flying out of the FS Dreamteam KJFK.

My only recent modifications were to add the new JustFlight Archer and newly available Dessault Falcon 50. I discovered that the pause is directly in sequence with every other flash of the beacon on the Falcon. I was not able to find any beacon switch on the panel or overhead so went into the aircraft.cfg file and disabled both beacon function lines with A "//" Prefix. Same thing. The pauses continued without the Beacon.

I then changed to the default Cessna 172. Same thing, pauses in aircraft movement every four seconds.

I then restarted FSX, went to KJFK without changing aircraft useing my default MSFS Cessna 172. Same thing.

This is a new development. I have located at KJFK conuntless times in the past with no problem.

Has anyone else seen this situation and if so know the solution?"

"On another forum, Marc was kind enough to make the following suggestion:

"Sounds like your JFK is over taxing your PC a bit. Try lowering your AutoGen slider one notch and see if this resolves the issue."

Progressively I tried moving sliders full left one at a time, seeing if the pause was still present, and then going to the next slider, next, next etc.

Finally with all sliders full left in all catagories (i.e. Graphics, Aircraft, Scenery, Weather and Traffic), and with all checkmarks removes I still had the exact same pause. Counting one-thousand one, one-thousand two, etc. I would estimate that the pauses have a freqency of exactly four seconds each.

To be continued:
RTH "

"OK, now I really am confused!

First of all a couple of clarifications.

I have six DreamTeam Airports: KJFK, LSZH, KORD, KLAS, LSGG, and KFLL (Intended to get the rest, but now I wonder).

What motivated my original post in this thread was a flight from KJFK to EGLL in the Dassault Falcon 50. There I made the discovery of the four second pauses I complained about for aircraft movement at KJFK. The departure was at night and I was not aware of any other error, but now after another discovery in the steps below I feel sure that disappearing textures were in affect then as well for KJFK that I did not know about. Thanks to daylight I discovered that no buildings, terminals, and probably some more items were not displayed, only the jetways hanging there all by themselves in all of the FSX DT airports (All sliders full right except Mesh Resolution is 10m and Water effects are low x 2). Note also that as soon as I departed KJFK the pauses ceased and the flight went swimingly through arrival at EGLL. Also note that I have tried restarting FSX, Restarting the computer, then FSX, and every other simple thing I can think of.

1. Selected each of the six DT airports listed above. All with one exception have four second pauses for aircraft movement. KFLL was smooth as silk with no such problem. However, KFLL also did not have terminal/building textures.

1. Unchecked each DF airport in the FSX library to go back to the FSX defaults, shut down FSX, Restarted FSX.

2. To my dismay, with MSFSX default airports for the six listed, I still had the four second pauses. However, all terminals, buildings, etc. were displayed normally.

3. To see if this was unique to the DT locations or others also had the problem that I didn't know about, I decided to check some other locations. My logic was to try to find complex locations. I also chose two based on google seach locations for the next two most populated areas in Switzerland. Aircraft movement at all of the following airports was smooth with no pause, and there was no other problem relative to display: KATL, KLAX, KBOS, KSLC, KIAD, KIAH, KSFO, KFTW, EGLL, LLBG, LSZB, and LSGL.

4. Shut down FSX and cranked up FS9. Aircraft movement at all six of the DreamTeam locations in question were smooth as could be with no pauses and textures were outstanding.

One question is whether there is something wrong elsewhere affecting aircraft movement at these particular airports, both default and DreamTeam. This would seem to be unlikely as implications are that the problem is unique to these six airports.

The obvious counter question is whether the DreamTeam Airports are the culprit and something remains even after they are deselected in the library, which does seem likely. Deleting them from the library is an option but I don't know what this would accomplish that unchecking them doesn't. I guess reinstalling then would also be an option, but even if that works it would not explain what has happened.

I am sorry in one way, and glad in another that Tom confirmed that other folk have seen this happen. ("this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries" ). I just wish DreamTeam had a solution for I think they are outstanding contributions and I have enjoyed their use for longer than I realized. I see that my downloads were in 2008 and 2009. I will continue to enjoy them in FS9, but the minimum solution will be to get the defaults back on track in FSX. The max is the hope that the DT installations can be included in the solution.

Thanks for humoring me if you suffered through reading this.
RTH

Edit: Just tried KEWR in order to peek at an airport very near one of the problem locations (KJFK). Smooth as could be with no problems. Seems that the problem is isolated very nearly within the airport boundaries of the six trouble spots."

Any help in finding a soulution sure would be appreciated.

Respectfully:
RTH

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:27:00 pm by rhodges »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange Pauses at Dreamteam Airports?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:10:33 am »
First, you should always go here for help, before going to other forums. This is the FSDT support forum, not other's.

An example of why you shouldn't rely on other forum's info is the "this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries". Well, this is the main place where FSDT users gather for help, and regular pauses every 4 second is a problem we never heard of here.

Also, since your problem seems to be related to AI, you have missed the most important information: what AI package you use in FSX ? Does the problem goes away with traffic at 0 ? How many airplanes you have on view ? Are you 100% sure they are not missing any textures ?

The 4s pauses looks like something related to Simconnect, because scheduled operations in Simconnect can happen every frame, 18 times per second, 6 times per second, once per second or every 4 seconds. We use those features to track AI airplane, but other AI-related programs, like Ultimate Traffic, use Simconnect the same way so, the issue might be something related to Simconnect.

. Unchecked each DF airport in the FSX library to go back to the FSX defaults, shut down FSX, Restarted FSX.

2. To my dismay, with MSFSX default airports for the six listed, I still had the four second pauses. However, all terminals, buildings, etc. were displayed normally.

Can you please do the same test, but Uninstall a scenery (JFK, for example), reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" and YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?". This WILL remove everything from FSDT so, try to go to the same airport that used to give pauses, and don't change anything except uninstalling.

rhodges

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »
I apologize for not coming to DreamTeam first, but as I stated in my original post, I first thought the problem was in someway related to the flashing beacon on the renewed Falcon 50 for FSX. The quote was from a reply by another party to my thread, not my own.

In any case, I located the culprit relative to the pauses. My only remaining problem is disappearing textures (buildings, terminals, etc.). I will try your suggestion of removing and reinstalling to see if that cures that problem and post my results.

My latest findings are as described below:

Update:

Clarification: Immediately after installation of FS9 and/or FSX, I immediately make a copy of the default installation before any changes, modifications, addons or anything else. I have found that this is a lifesaver for troubleshooting. Substituting default folders and files has been a good way to find errors by a process of elimination. I realize this may be a bit primitive to the professional computer know it alls, but it works for me, as it did to some extent in this case.

1. I discovered that the problem child for the pauses in aircraft movement was the dll.xml file in the FSX folder. (C\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml). Replacing with the original default file seems to have cured this problem. (Again, the problem was present in only the six airport sites listed in my previous reply.)

2. The culprit relative to restarting my computer was that after deleting the fsx.cfg file and letting it rebuild, It was only partially rebuilding. I did have a rebuilt file, but it was only partial for some reason. After the computer restarted, I discovered (again by a very lengthy process of elimination) that the Main section of the file was missing the line item: "Maximized=2". I copied this line item from my original default, restarted FSX and the reminder of the file rebuilt to pretty well match my original default. This was somewhat academic as this did nothing to cure the aircraft movement problem. I could see no difference in anything between useing the rebuilt file or my current one.

3. Based on the findings above, I do not believe there is a computer setup problem as some have suggested. The problems seems to be totally unique to fSX and I see no other problems anywhere in the system. I also went back to the original default BIOS settings and saw no change in anything with the exception that temperatures dropped a bit as expected. Temperatures were low. Overclocked they are just moderate.

The only remaining problem I see is I am still missing textures when I activate the DreamTeam airports in FSX. The pauses are gone. I may be brave enough to reinstall and see what happens, or possibly will just live with the MSFSX defaults. I have this on the Dreamteam forum as well, so something might develope there.

Thanks for the advice and comments. As requested my system specs are added below:
RTH

Primary Computer:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPU
Scythe SY124010L CPU Fam
6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK Memory
WinXP Pro 64 Bit
EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card
23" HPw2338h Primary Monitor
21” Viewsonic Pro Series P815 Secondary Monitor
Nvidia version 197.45 drivers for GTX 285 Video Card
1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB System Harddrive
1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB FSX Harddrive
1 each Segate 320GB SATA FS9 Harddrive
1 each Segate 320GB SATA Backup / Utility Harddrive
Std. Floppy Drive
2 Each CDRW/DVDRW
PlusDeck 2C Audio Tape Player/Recorder
Konica Minolta magicolor 2400W Laser Printer
CH Pro USB Pedals
CH USB FlightSim Yoke
Microsoft FFB2 USB Joystick
Logitech Keyless Keyboard
Logitech cordless mouse
High Speed Cable Internet/email Service with Router
Corsair HX1000W Modular 1000 Watt Power Supply
SuperPower ATX Full Tower Case with sides Customized for more ventilation

Note: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a secondary Core 2 Duo Computer for WinXP Pro 32 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Note: CPU Overclocked to 4.0. GPU is not overclocked

Secondary Computer:
ASUS P5N-SLI Motherboard
Intel E6600 Core2 Duo CPU
Zalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fan
4 GB KST DII800 Memory
WinXP Pro 32 Bit
NVIDIA Evga Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
21” Viewsonic Pro Series P815 Primary Monitor
Navidia version 182.50 drivers for Video Card
1 each Segate 250GB UIDE Harddrive
1 Each Segate 80GB SATA Harddrive
1 each Maxtar 40GB UIDE Harddrive
Std. Floppy Drive
CDRW/DVDRW
WINTV
HP 4315v Printer/Fax/Scanner/Copier
Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner
MicroTech Z!O! Flash Card Reader
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound to Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 Speakers
BFGR 1000 Watt Power Supply

Note: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a primary i7-975 Computer for WinXP Pro 64 bit programs, WideFS6 (FS9) and Wide FS7 (FSX). Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Respectfully:
RTH

rhodges

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:54:04 am »
Well, I am a bit stumpted.

Uberto, in answer to your previous reply, I am useing Ultimate Traffic FSX for my AI aircraft.

I tried to do as you instructed, but I am aparently doing something wrong when I try to "uninstall a scenery (JFK, for example)". My first try was to simply delete DreamTeam KJFK in my FSX library. I never got the questions, "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" or "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?" The file simply deleted from the library. I also tried deleting KORD from my fsdreamteam folder in FSX with the same results.

In my saved files I have two downloads for KJFX. One is dated 9-19-08, and the other 9-09-09 with a notation "use this one". When I select "Run" to setup the later dated setup, I immediately get an error window: "The product requires FSX SP2 or FSX Acceleration Pack to be  installed." I click OK and the window closes. I then tried running the 2008 setup, and it installs KJFK back into my FSX library. However, now during the FSX startup sequence, I now get an error window: "Addon Manager will not run. FSX with SP2 or Acceleration Pack is required!" I close the window and FSX continues to startup normally. I do have Dreamteam KJFK back, but like the other DT airports textures are missing. textures.

Am I overlooking a Dreamteam specific uninstall function somewhere? Also, do you have any idea why the later setup, and the manger not seeing SP2?

Sorry for the confusion, but I am about out of ideas.

Respectfully:
RTH

rhodges

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:56:28 am »
I do have FSX SP1 and SP2 installed.
RTH

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:43 am »
Am I overlooking a Dreamteam specific uninstall function somewhere?

All our products come with a proper Windows installer. This means, like any Windows program that has a proper installer, the one and only way to do an Uninstall is through the Windows Control Panel, in the Add/Remove programs section, which is the place were all Windows program with an Installer put their Uninstall procedures.

Also, do you have any idea why the later setup, and the manger not seeing SP2?

The one and only reasons why BOTH our installer and the Addon Manager report you don't have the SP2 installed is, very simply, because you don't have the SP2 (or Acceleration Pack) installed. There's just no other way.

Maybe your real problem is you have a faulty SP2 installation, with some mixed up files coming from RTM.

Both the installers and the Addon Manager check the file version of the FSX.EXE file. You can check this yourself, by right-clicking on it, and select "Properties"->"Details". The FSX.EXE from SP2 should be 10.0.61472, the Acceleration is 10.0.61637. If your FSX.EXE version is not any of these two, it means SP2 is not installed, or your FSX install is corrupted somehow

rhodges

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »
Success!

1. Checked my fsx.cfg version: 10.0.614720
2. For good measure, downloaded a new fsx_sp2_ENUSP2 from the Microsoft download center.
3. Installed the new SP2. The fsx.cfg version is again 10.0.614720.
4. Uninstalled all Dreamteam files with the control panel add/remove provisions. Some were not removed from either the FSX library and/or fsdreamteam folder. Deleted these.
5. Downloaded the latest stand alone setup_addonmanagerx.exe file along with the latest LSZH, LSGG, KFLL, KJFK, KLAS, and KORD DT airports. While I was at it, went ahead and downloaded Lihue-hilo, Dallas Fort Worth, and Honolulu Intl. for a future purchase as soon as I am sure everything is stable now. Discovered that all except KLAS were newer versions than those I had installed. I guess I need to make a version check on my FS9 DT airports as well, but everything still looks good there.
6. Installed the newly downloaded DT files. As I did, the installation created new dll.xml and EXE.xml files. The original dll.xml file was the one that I discovered and mentioned earlier that seemed to be causing the pauses in aircraft movement.

All six airports are now returned to their full fantastic glory again, and there is no sign of the aircraft movement pauses which created this scenario.

Uberto, I know I peeved you a bit with my ignorance, but thank you so much for hanging in there with me and your kind help.

Respectfully:
RTH

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:18:32 am »
As I did, the installation created new dll.xml and EXE.xml files. The original dll.xml file was the one that I discovered and mentioned earlier that seemed to be causing the pauses in aircraft movement.

It wasn't the XML files by themselves, but another addon you had installed which required a module either in the DLL.XML or in the EXE.XML, which created the problem.

All six airports are now returned to their full fantastic glory again, and there is no sign of the aircraft movement pauses which created this scenario.

I was quite sure of that. Now, it would be probably interesting to know why someone in another forum had to say "this is a common problem with FSDT sceneries", which clearly wasn't...

rhodges

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:58:11 pm »
Well, I may have spoken too soon.

School may or may not still be out on this problem.

I just made the following discoveries when I tried to select third party aircraft. I don't know whether this would have been all or not, but I tried several (i.e. Capt.Sim 757, LDS 767, Aeroworx King Air, PMDG 1900, and a generic third party bird or two. Some came up with partial panels, others shutdown FSX.

1. First indication during startup was that I got an error message stating that FSUIPC nor Wideclient were not being linked to work.
2. When I selected the LDS 767, it stated that it needed to be reinstalled.
3. Looked in the ADDON provisions at top of the FSX display. All that were listed were Couati-Powered Products and Addon Manager. Quickgoto, FSUIPC, PMDG, and Leveld Simulations which also should have been listed had been removed.
4. Reinstalled the latest version of FSUIPC. (4.60a best I remember).
5. Some birds that previously shutdown FSX now worked (i.e. PMDG 1900). Others still shutdown FSX (i.e. Aeroworx King Air) and I no longer got the FSUIPC or Wideclient errors.
6. Being that new DT installations had replaced my DLL.XML file, to see what would happen I put the DLL.XML file that I had when all of this started back in my FSX folder. All aircraft in question are back working and the addon listings were replaced. I fully expected the pauses which motivated this thread to start with to be back, but to my surprise aircraft movement at DT KJFK was smooth, textures were still normal and SO FAR I see no other problems with anything else.

Uberto, relative to "another addon....created the problem" You may be 100% correct, but it seems to me that somebody is being outnumbered here. My DT update, in particular the DLL.XML file caused untold problems with countless other third party items. Obviously there is a conflict here but I have no idea who the culprit is.

Neither do I have any idea whether this "is a common problem" or not, however, ironically there is a more recent post totally unrelated to mine in the FSX forum at AvSim with the topic: "Freezing every 4 seconds at cloud 9 Bergen". Am I mistaken, or isn't cloud 9 at least a distant cousin to Dreamteam?

Hopefully all problems are solved now but time will tell.

On the plus side to everything,  (I hope), the first thing I did this morning was to purchase the three airports I did not have, KDFW, PHLI, and PHNL.

Respectfully:
RTH

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:00:12 pm by rhodges »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »
I just made the following discoveries when I tried to select third party aircraft. I don't know whether this would have been all or not, but I tried several (i.e. Capt.Sim 757, LDS 767, Aeroworx King Air, PMDG 1900, and a generic third party bird or two. Some came up with partial panels, others shutdown FSX.

That's to be expected. Since you started with a fresh DLL.XML, all other 3rd party modules that were installed there were disabled so, any product requiring any of those modules wouldn't work anymore.

6. Being that new DT installations had replaced my DLL.XML file

No, they don't replace anything, they only ADD the Addon Manager section, if is not there.

There's ONLY one case in which your DLL.XML is replaced: when, due to having edited it by hand or because *another* installer from another product has corrupted it, our installer will check this and will ASK you if you want to replace your corrupted DLL/EXE.XML with a fresh one.

This check is made BEFORE touching the XML files, and is made by asking to the standard MS XML validation library if the XML file is correct. If it's not, you'll see a diagnostic message during the installation telling which line contains the error and you are given the option to start with a fresh file, but our installer will never, ever, replace the XML file on its own, nor will ever corrupt them, because it's also using the standard MS XML parser to process them so, it's not possible the XML files would become corrupted by our installers, which simply reacts to corruption that was created elsewhere (either by another product, or by hand-edited the files, perhaps with the wrong text editor)

to see what would happen I put the DLL.XML file that I had when all of this started back in my FSX folder. All aircraft in question are back working and the addon listings were replaced. I fully expected the pauses which motivated this thread to start with to be back, but to my surprise aircraft movement at DT KJFK was smooth, textures were still normal and SO FAR I see no other problems with anything else.

This just proves the pauses weren't caused by our sceneries, since you now don't have any pauses...you said you *updated* FSUIPC with the most current version: this is just an example of something that might have fixed your issue, since the XML file is the same, but it's now activating an updated module. Same might have happened with other modules you had, which you might have upgraded while reinstalling them. Our installers always get the module directly from the internet so, you always get the latest version.

My DT update, in particular the DLL.XML file caused untold problems with countless other third party items

Sorry, no. I confirm that our installers will never replace an XML file, except in case when the XML files was *already* corrupted before running our installer. This is the one and only time the XML files are created from scratch, and there's also a clear warning about this during the installation.

however, ironically there is a more recent post totally unrelated to mine in the FSX forum at AvSim with the topic: "Freezing every 4 seconds at cloud 9 Bergen". Am I mistaken, or isn't cloud 9 at least a distant cousin to Dreamteam?

That's not obviously a fair example, since that post just appeared now, and was started by the same user (anakletor) that started the *same* thread here, and the fact you have also started the same thread on avsim, doesn't make it a "known" FSDT/C9 problem, just because there are only 2 users who posted about it in the last two days with one (you), saying the pauses are now gone, and there was also an user there who replied he never had the problem to begin with:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/323214-strange-pause-at-kjfk/page__view__findpost__p__1905867

user ubersu said:

"Interesting problem... I have all FSDT airports for both FSX and FS9 and have never seen this happen - it's the first I've ever heard of it."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:44:30 pm by virtuali »

rhodges

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »
Please know that I am not trying to blame anybody for anything, especially DreamTeam. I am only trying to find solutions. The scenario as I described above seems to be working is all I know. I am not interested in side stepping the issue or really that much in the logistics, just to get everybody working together.

Respectfully:
RTH

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »
The most important part of fixing a problem, is understanding it.

That's why you have been given full explanations, not because we wanted to escape any possible blaming, but in order to give you the most thorough knowledge of the issue, which should also help you in case you'll end up having a similar problem in the future.