Author Topic: How to edit AICarrier files?  (Read 4415 times)

Tregarth

How to edit AICarrier files?
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:50 pm »
I am trying to edit my AICarrier files.  When I press Shift+J I have at least 40 variants in the menu.  I would like to reduce this to about 10 and then add some others.

I have looked in the AICarriers\AICarriers file which only shows 14 formations, both CVN_ID and CVN_68_69 both only show 15.  So I don't know where the other +25 variants are hiding.

I have searched my PC for "extra" files and I have looked in all the files which have been found but the "extras" are not shown.  I am assuming I only need to edit the .CFG files, is this right?

How can I remove the "excess" carriers, please?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: How to edit AICarrier files?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »
The program reads all CFG files, located in its main folder and in the conf.d subfolder, and gets all ships' definitions together. To reduce the number of ships just remove relevant CFG files (you may also change the extension to something other than CFG).

This is what the readme says, by the way:
**** Customatisation ****
The config file aicarriers.cfg is located in the installation dir. Some items can be configured in it, just follow the syntax.
You can also add independant formation files in the conf.d directory. If you modeled a landable ship for FSX, you can provide a config file to be put in this directory.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Tregarth

Re: How to edit AICarrier files?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:39 pm »
Paddles, thank you for your help.

I have now sorted out the AICarriers add-on on my PC.  The following might be of help for people who do not realise how useful AIC can be:

Once AIC has installed in the Program Files folder there are 3 key entries:

AICarriers.cfg   file
  Conf.d            folder
  and CVN_68_69.cfg File which is contained in Conf.d folder.

When AIC is started AICarriers.cfg is run first, this starts the Conf.d folder which opens and runs the CVN_68_69.cfg file.

Thus if you want to add/remove carriers or boats you only need to edit the  CVN_68_69 file, remembering to keep the formation numbering sequence.  In this way I have removed many US Carriers and added Flying Stations HMS Victorious and HMS Ark Royal, the Chinese carrier Liaoning (Bear Studios) and the Royal French Navy USS Nimitz T-45 CQ formation (RFN Carrier Gauge 4.2  http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm ).

The RFN Gauge is worth a look; it uses its own TACAN frequencies to locate the carrier so you can run the RFN Gauge as an ADF (or ILS) in parallel with the FSX ILS Frequency so you can run the FA_18 IFLOLS Gauge as well.

N.B.  Once you have edited AIC you must re-start FSX for the change to be effective.

Good luck,

Tregarth

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:50:02 pm by Tregarth »