Author Topic: POIs not showing in FSX but every thing else is  (Read 7569 times)

flyboy340

POIs not showing in FSX but every thing else is
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:44:49 am »
I have installed, purchased and registered XPOI for FSX.  I don't have any double entries of bglmanx.dll in dll.xml or couatl.exe in exe.xml.  Ctrl F9 brings up the XPOI menu in FSX & I can search for POIs or Wikipedia points, but I can not see POIs or Wiki displayed in FSX.  I can see the Airfields and VORs etc.    I would be very grateful for any ideas.  :)

Many thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: POIs not showing in FSX but every thing else is
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:13:53 am »
You can safely exclude ANY issue with the software running, xml files, antivirus, etc. because, if you are seeing all the menus, it means everything is fine and there are no problems with the software, which is running fine.

Standard POIs and Wikipedia are both dependent on the Internet connection, while Navaids and Airfields are not, since they are read directly from FSX. If Navaids and Airfields is the only thing you are seeing now, it's might be because XPOI can't connect to the internet, for any reason, which can be either a firewall you are running, or simply the geonames.org database which might be momentarily down. However, XPOI should issue a message about not being able to connect to geonames.org.

However, if you can't connect to the internet, the POI search function shouldn't work either.

If the search works, and you just don't see POIs, check your the XPOI menu for their settings: it's possible you haven't turned them on ? Or, more precisely, there are no POIs for the classes which are turned on in the area you are flying ?

flyboy340

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  I have re-installed the software a couple of times & I have everything selected in the settings menu.  I will try flying around the UK to see if anything pops up anywhere.  I just assumed that flying over London would bring up a least 1 or 2 POIs.  I did have a message once to say that there was a problem connecting to the server, but nothing since. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »
I did have a message once to say that there was a problem connecting to the server, but nothing since.

That usually means the geonames.org servers were down. Try again and, if it doesn't fix it, we'll have a look at it, perhaps they setup a new mirror, XPOI config file has the ability to add new geonames.org mirrors without updating the program

flyboy340

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:56:46 am »
The POIs showed up for a short while & I thought everything was fixed until a couatl error came up.  I have attached the file (renamed to txt so that it could be uploaded) so that you can hopefully see what went wrong.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
Thank you for your report, we have been able to find the problem, it was related to acting on the settings in a dense area, when POIs were still regenerating.

It should be fixed now, download XPOI from the web page again, and reinstall it (no need to register it again, the registration will stay as long you don't reinstall Windows). It would be best if you Refresh the browser page, to be sure you get the correct updated link for the installer.

flyboy340

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »
Fantastic  ;D, Thank you  :D 

Gianni

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »
I have the same problem posted by others here: I can see the Airports and VORs but not the POIs. I tried to disintall the XPOI and install again but with no results. The computer is connected to internet without problems. What else should I do?

Many thank in advance for your help!

Gianni

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »
Have you tried the solution posted here (to be used with the most current version of the installer) ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4012.0