Author Topic: Amsterdam and scenery.cfg - installation problems  (Read 10512 times)

martinlest

Amsterdam and scenery.cfg - installation problems
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »
Having managed, with help from FSDT, to install EHAM (I have the full version now, see thread below), I am presented with another problem. The installer adds the three EHAM scenery files to the very top of the scenery library. If I move them further down the priority list, all the jetways disappear from the airport and I get odd artefacts appearing (I can post screenshots if needs be). But I have some software that needs to be be activated higher than the Amsterdam scenery - most importantly Aerosoft's AES, which always tries to move itself to the highest position (area number/layer) in the scenery.cfg file and reports an error if it is not.

If I leave the Amsterdam sceneries at the top of the scebery library, there is no AES at the airport. If I move the AES entry back where it should be I lose many parts of the EHAM scenery. (Actually, once I alter the scenery.cfg file, EHAM never goes back to how it should be, with all the jetways, even after putting the 3 folders back to the highest priority - I have to re-install from scratch.

This is the first airport scenery I have had in 10 years of flying FS which insists on remaining at no.1 in the scenery library. I'd be really grateful if someone could say how I might move it, at least below AES if nothing else (so that I can get the (payware of course) AES services), without the whole airport becoming corrupted (why does that happen?).

Many thanks,

Martin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Amsterdam and scenery.cfg - installation problems
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »
EHAM should stay on top of everything else, which is where the installer puts it. The only scenery layer that can stay on top of it, it's exactly AES.

So, the correct order, from top to bottom, should be:

1) AES
2) Cloud9 Amsterdam  ( the airport )
3) Cloud9 Amsterdam Terrain
4) Cloud9 Amsterdam City

This is guaranteed to be working.

If you still have visual problems, visual artifacts, missing objects and such, using this order, then it's not a problem of Cloud9 EHAM, but another scenery you might have installed it, because this is how is supposed to work with AES.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:30:41 pm by virtuali »

martinlest

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 03:18:40 pm »
Well, to verify what you say, I installed FS2004 on a different computer. I added nothing apart from the FS9.1 update. Then I removed anti-virus protection and installed the Cloud9 Amsterdam scenery. The screenshots of the airport and scenery library entries are below (1 & 2).

Then I installed AES from the latest Aerosoft download and added EHAM. Screenshots are 3 & 4.

The Amsterdam scenery is clearly corrupted when AES is activated above the EHAM folders. And of course, if you don't activate AES in top position, it doesn't work. It is nothing to do with other installed sceneries as you suggest - there are no other addons at all in this FS9 setup - this is an 'out-of-the-box installation'. The bglman files are as originally installed by the Amsterdam setup (I don't get any CTDS as this other PC has Windows XP 32-bit).

Further help would be appreciated: I hope I don't have to forget having AES at this airport...

Thanks,

Martin
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:27:48 pm by martinlest »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »
From your description of the problem, what's happening is:

- When you install EHAM without AES, the scenery works correctly.

- When you add AES, and put its layer on top, which is the right place, AES manages to successfully exclude the vehicles and the jetways, which is what is supposed to do, but it fails to replace them with its own (which is normal for the vehicles, since they should appear only when asked for in AES), but it's NOT normal for jetways.

You'll have to ask on Aerosoft forum about this, because it's nothing related to the scenery itself.

martinlest

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »
Hi again. Thanks. I have already posted there too, as I also thought it may be an AES problem - I'll post back here if there's a solution. Meanwhile I have to run FS9 with two scenery.cfg files (only one at a time of course!) - one for when I fly from/to Amsterdam (scenery works but no AES at EHAM) and one for all other flights.

Martin

martinlest

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:05:35 pm »
No reply from Aerosoft yet, but I can't help feeling meanwhile that it's not simply an issue of AES not installing its jetways - when AES is at the top of the scenery library, Amsterdam has other oddities - for instance as per the screenshot below (near gate D94, I think).

Does anyone have the Cloud9 scenery working properly, with AES and no corruptions like this, with AES at the highest scenery priority, as it needs to be?

Martin

martinlest

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »
Areosoft suggested the simple expedient of switching AES off at EHAM, running FS9, then switching AES back on and starting up FS9 at Amsterdam again. Now everything seems to be working just fine, with AES at the top of the scenery library and the three EHAM folders just below (as you said it should be).

I have no idea why, when I tried this on my 'out-of-the-box' FS9 setup it didn't work though - very odd.

Thank you again,

Martin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:49:14 pm by martinlest »