Author Topic: MSVCR80.DLL error on all FSDT Scenery  (Read 15522 times)

Paul Deemer

MSVCR80.DLL error on all FSDT Scenery
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:56 pm »
Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61637.0, time stamp 0x46fadb14, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a594c79, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00050804, process id 0xd40, application start time 0x01cb877090d4f275.

I used to have my FSDT scenery (KDFW, PHNL and PHLI/PHTO running flawlessly until recently. I am not sure what is causing this. I have not flown into the FSDT airports in about 2 weeks, and since that time I have installed other sceneries from OrbX and Aerosoft. Not sure if they messed up FSDT somehow but that would be my guess.

My system:
Windows Vista 64-Bit
8 gig ram
Quad Core
8800 GTX using drivers 197.45 (So nHancer will work)
3 Sata Hard drives (FSX on own dedicated Drive)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:51:08 pm by Paul Deemer »

Paul Deemer

Re: MSVCR80.DLL error on all FSDT Scenery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:55 pm »
Oh I forgot to mention the things I have tried to fix this problem.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled all of the following.

Net Framework 3.5 and 4.0 (Read after I did it that FSDT does not use it?)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 AND 2008 X86 and x64
Nvidia Drivers 197.45
Dallas Fort Worth
Hawaiian Islands Vol 1.
Addon Manager and Couatl

All my other sceneries from Aerosoft, Imaginesim, LatinVFR, Tropicalsim work just fine. The above error happens after loading the scenery and the sitting on runway and it freezes up and then crashes. This happens at all FSDT airports. At one time I did get a notice that maybe installing the stand alone addon manager might fix it but I am not sure where to find this?

There is a big American Virtual Airlines Event this Weekend and I am the VP of Events for this airline. We planned this event for over a month and I really would like to get my airports working as the 2 events scheduled are at Hawaii and Dallas.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:59:46 pm by Paul Deemer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:47:23 am »
That's not a problem of the sceneries, your issue is a problem of the MS Visual C++ runtimes.

Of course, all our sceneries requires the MS VC++ runtimes to be working, both for the Addon Manager and the Couatl engine, but that's only about the relationship with this .dll and the sceneries, they all require the MS VC++ to be installed properly.

You are not seeing the problem with other sceneries, since they are regular .BGL file with no special features that requires C++ runtimes so, they are not affected by them being installed properly or not.

A while ago there was a known bug in the 2008 version, which caused a crash in MSVCR80.dll which is instead part of the 2005 version, but installing the 2008 runtime together with 2005, caused a problem with that .dll

FSX itself comes with and requires the 2005 runtimes, and our sceneries also automatically install the 2005 version in any case, but I think some PMDG airplanes install the 2008 version, and any other Windows program you installed in the meantime could have done this, which is why you said yourself that FSDT sceneries used to work fine.

I'm not sure if this bug has been fixed or not in subsequent version of the runtimes, I guess it should have, since it quite serious but, if some of your C++ runtimes files are not updated, it might still be in.

You said you have already uninstalled and reinstalled everything. .NET wasn't required, so the video drivers.

Try this:

- Uninstall ALL the MS VC++ runtimes (all versions 2005 and 2008, both their x86 and x64 versions)

- DO NOT reinstall them

- If you installed the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, Uninstall it and reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?"

- Reboot Windows. Please, do it.

- Reinstall the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and try FSX again.

Paul Deemer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:29 pm »
I tried everything like you said to the letter. All C++ was uninstalled, Addon manager uninstalled and then rebooted.

After reboot reinstalled addon manager and only c++2005 was installed and thats it. Went into FSX and loaded up the airports again and they all crash after about 1 second with the same error.

Do you have any other ideas?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:45:33 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
Do you have any other ideas ?

Are you using some kind of utility that tries to force the HD 4096 textures, by constantly writing on FSX.CFG ? Using this with the current version of the Addon Manager, because it's able to write the correct value in memory (if the "Force HD textures" option is enabled), without having to mess with the FSX.CFG while running but only when entering/exiting FSX, but if you are using such utility ( I know there's at least a freeware one that keep writing and re-writing the FSX.CFG every second ), it might conflict with it, so you have to remove it, and it's not needed anymore.

Paul Deemer

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:43:02 am »
I am using Rex Overdrive with 4096 HD Textures but it never was a problem before with FSDT Scenery. I had all the FSDT stuff working fine for as long as I had it which was a couple months.

I don't have the utility you are referring to though.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:34:59 am »
I am using Rex Overdrive with 4096 HD Textures but it never was a problem before with FSDT Scenery. I had all the FSDT stuff working fine for as long as I had it which was a couple months.

The option to force HD texture has been added only in the very latest Addon Manager update a couple of weeks ago so, if REX is doing something in realtime to force HD textures as well, they might conflict.

Is it possible to disable this method with REX ? Not disabling 4096 textures, but disabling only the enforcing of them in the FSX.CFG which, as I've said, is not needed with the current Addon Manager.

Which, btw, HAS the option to disable the forcing of 4096 textures so, you can also try to disable it in the Addon Manager itself. However, given a choice, I suggest using the Addon Manager only to enforce 4096 textures, not any other utility that does the same.

Paul Deemer

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:04:00 pm »
Okay I took this a step further and removed all FSDreamteam Scenery from the computer, Sceneries, Addon Manger, etc. Reinstalled Just Hawaii Aiports Volume 1 without the update for a test. Soon as I appear at the gate the same error again. (Sigh). I even tried with a fresh FSX.cfg file to no avail.

So I here our my thoughts. 1) Could FSX be corrupted? 2) Could Visual C++ be corrupted? 3) Could a hardware problem be causing this such as a bad Memory chip? I remember cleaning out the computer awhile back and reseating the memory chips if that helps any. I have 4 2-gig DDR-2 1066 Dimms in the computer.

Would be nice to find a fix for this without having to do a weeks worth of reinstalling Windows Vista and FSX and all my add ons. Plus would save other people from having to do this if we can track down the problem.

I dont have a Utility that is forcing 4096 textures. Rex is closed after I install my texture theme, as I only use it for textures and not weather. (Use Activesky) and its disabled in FSDT Addon Manager.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:07:27 pm by Paul Deemer »

Paul Deemer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »
If you uninstall C++ and reinstall it again does that not clear everything out and let you start anew? We already tried that. If something gets left behind and could be causing a problem, is there some utility out there that will complete wipe everything out for c++ without me having to reinstall Windows Vista 64bit again?

My PMDG planes are using c++2008 and work fine at other payware sceneries so I think the c++ 2008 is working fine, I also have c++ 2010 installed btw. So the following is on my computer at the moment. C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010. I did read about the possibility of a bad memory chip causing MSVCR80.DLL problems and crashes in FSX. My next step is to try 4 gig of ram and see if my chips are all working correctly.

Any further suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:51 am »
My PMDG planes are using c++2008 and work fine at other payware sceneries so I think the c++ 2008 is working fine, I also have c++ 2010 installed btw

Yes, of course 2008/2010 are working. MSVCR80.DLL is not from 2008/2010, it's from 2005, which is what FSX itself needs, and what our Addon Manager needs as well (the choice to stick with VS2005 is intentional: we wanted to use the same runtime as FSX, to minimize problems) so, what *might* have been corrupted, it's the 2005 runtime.

As I've said, there was a known bug in the VS2008 runtimes which created a conflict with the VS2005 runtimes when both were installed together. I think it should have been fixed by now, but if you still have a old version of the .dll somewhere, it might still have crept it.

If you uninstall C++ and reinstall it again does that not clear everything out and let you start anew?

Yes, in theory, but it doesn't always work. You might want to try this:

- Uninstall the 2005 runtime.

- Search the whole hard drive for the MSVCR80.DLL file, and remove every instance of it.

- Reinstall the 2005 runtime, using ALL these 3 files:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2&displaylang=en

Paul Deemer

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »
Okay I have figured out the solution to this problem. After giving up on it I decided to go for a new install of FSX, and being even more picky about neat and clean I also did a complete reinstall of Vista as well. What I noticed was that after installing FSX and my Addons plus FSDreamteam Aiports that there are 2 identical entries for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistrubutable.

Here is where my problem started. I believe I remember awhile back seeing the double entry for C++ 2005 and being the neat freak I am I deleted one in Add Remove Programs. AHA! Big Mistake! That started the Errors and no matter how many times you completely uninstall Visual C++ and redownload it from the Microsoft Site or reinstall the FSDT Software your still going to have that error.

If you delete one of those C++ 2005 Entries and fly over, fly into, or start at the gate at any FSDT airport your going to crash to the desktop. I'm not a programmer but from all the things I have tried I am guessing that when FSX installs C++ 2005 there its something done at that point that once its corrupted the only way to fix it is reinstall FSX. With my new install I now have 2 Identical Visual C++ 2005 Redistributal Entries and all works like a charm again.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:54:09 pm by Paul Deemer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:07:38 pm »
Here is where my problem started. I believe I remember awhile back seeing the double entry for C++ 2005 and being the neat freak I am I deleted one in Add Remove Programs. AHA! Big Mistake! That started the Errors and no matter how many times you completely uninstall Visual C++ and redownload it from the Microsoft Site or reinstall the FSDT Software your still going to have that error.

That's to be expected. There are TWO version of 2005 runtimes, the original one, which is the that comes with FSX, and the SP1 version (that corrected something like 200+ bugs), which is the one we install and require. In fact, this is also reported by MS on their FSX support page:

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack1.aspx

Notice: Third-party content requires VS 2005 SP1 to successfully load. Third-party content developed for FSX using VS 2005 SP1 requires the new VS 2005 SP1 redistributable file

So, it's absolutely normal you'll end up having 2 versions of VS 2005 runtimes, after installing FSX and any one of our sceneries. By removing one, you probably removed the original version, which is required by FSX, so it started crashing.

swaluver88

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 02:21:53 am »
could me upgrading to runtime 2015 be causing a crash?
swavirtual.com member. Pilot id: SWA5931

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 09:16:29 am »
could me upgrading to runtime 2015 be causing a crash?

It shouldn't.

Note that, the last post of this thread was made in 2010. Today, our products DO NOT use the 2005 runtimes anymore, they use the 2013 version so, a crash in MSVCR80.DLL, which is part of the 2005 runtime, it's NOT caused by any of our products.