Author Topic: How to Change the Virtual Cockpit ZOOM factor?  (Read 26877 times)

Tregarth

How to Change the Virtual Cockpit ZOOM factor?
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

I am using a TripleHead2Go (THG) unit to drive 3x19" wide screen TFT's with a natural resolution of 1440 x 900 each.  When I use Sludge's F-18 the initial ZOOM factor is set to 0.69 so all I can see is the top half of the HUD; reducing the ZOOM factor to 0.3 (by using the keyboard "-" key) I can see all the HUD and the indexer but the cockpit below is not visible i.e I am sitting "too far forward" in the cockpit.

By using the Shift + Keyboard keys I can see inside the cockpit so everything is working OK.

Can anyone please tell me how to either

Set the THG so I am sitting "further back" in the cockpit or

Change the FSX ZOOM Setting in FSX to achieve the same effect?

Thank you,

Tregarth

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: How to Change the Virtual Cockpit ZOOM factor?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:39 pm »
Tre...

OK, so you're at .3 zoom and even "panning down" (view angle up/down; keypad arrow up/down), you still can't see the instrument panel?  I know what you're saying about using the shift-bkspc/shift-enter or other combos to move your default eyepoint, but I don't know how the THG affects the view.

Can you provide some screen shots, in different views and panning angles, so I can try to help more?

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »
Dear Sludge,

Thanks for replying.

0.66 Zoom Start screen shows how the screen looks on start up.

0.66 Zoom ... Opened Out shows the view once I have dragged the window to cover all 3 screens

0.30 Zoom shows the view when I have pressed keybord "-" so the viewpoint is "as far back" as it will go.

0.30 ...Cockpit shows that all the instruments are visible when I press the Hat Switch to show inside the cockpit.

Thanks for your help and interest,

Tregarth
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:44:36 pm by Tregarth »

neutrino

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »
Did you set WideViewAspect=True in the fsx.cfg file (C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG) ?

Razgriz

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:06:13 pm »
No, no, no neutrino.  The path to the fsx cfg is %appdata%/microsoft/fsx/fsx.cfg

I realize he has W7 (the background looks like it, the taskbar, not so sure, but then you have a "users" shortcut on your desktop) which is why that path works for him, but some users have XP and won't post a desktop picture that you can figure that out from.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 10:25:37 pm »
Tre...

If setting WideViewAspect=True doesnt work, I'm not sure what can be done.  You'll have to find someone, or somewhere, with knowledge on FSX and THG compatibility.  A setting that breaks the view up amongst your three screens, but allows more of the vertical screen view.  The only time Ive seen THG used is at a local science museum exhibit with someone using FSX along with a flight simulator motion chair setup (similar to what others have posted of their in-home gaming).  Although, it wasnt the Hornet (it was the red aerobatic plane), and I have no idea what the fsx.cfg settings were.

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:30 pm »
Thank you all very much, it now works perfectly. :) ;D ;D

Sorry, I have not said I am using Win 7 Home Premium.

For anyone elese with the same issue, the file path to FSX.CFG in Win 7 is

C\UserS\User\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

(To find App Data you must turn on Show Hidden Files, the FSX.CFG file can be opened using Notepad.  Change the setting as Neutrino says and don't forget to save it).

Start FSX and all is perfect.

Very grateful to you,

Tregarth

Orion

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:54:33 am »
For the record, both JR and Duncan are right.  Well, actually, if you want to get technical, they're both partly wrong.

The proper path is %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX.

%appdata% is an environment variable that automatically goes to your AppData\Roaming folder, so therefore, %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX gives you <drive>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX in Windows Vista or 7, or <drive>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX in XP.

JR was right in the path, but he didn't specify that it's specifically for Vista and 7 (though it could be easily inferred, as we know Tregarth is using 7 from his screenshots).  Duncan got the environment variable and path right, but the slashes are in the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:04:24 am by Orion »