Author Topic: Black spots instead of cars  (Read 3741 times)

deltaleader

Black spots instead of cars
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:09 am »
Based on the same problem listed in this thread http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2686.0

For some reason the parked static cars show up as black spots.  If I zoom in from my cockpit view, they eventually reappear.  I have the antipopup slider all the way up. This is known problem or just something I dont have set correctly?

Thanks.
ex-Private Pilot, life long Flight Simmer...can't really tell you about my other hobbies...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Black spots instead of cars
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:24 pm »
When the problem is related to the zoom setting, it doesn't have anything to do with the Anti-pop setting.

It's the fact that cars use LOD for obvious performance reasons and, when you use a too wide zoom level, the lowest LOD (which means "disappear") kicks in. We usually optimize the scenery for the most realistic zoom level which, according to many tests, it's around 0.70.

This can't be tunable like the Anti-popup, which only controls the loading of the objects, not the LOD switching, and its relationship with the zoom level is out of our control. If we turned off LOD, just to let see such objects at all zoom levels, it would slow down performances, which is not worth, considering cars aren't something really needed when taxiiing.

So, it's not a bug, it's just expected considering how the scenery is made, not everything will show up at all zoom settings.