Author Topic: ntdll error  (Read 19116 times)

AbqVlieger

ntdll error
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:06 am »
Hello,

First off I don't think that my problem has been caused by FSDT however I never noticed it before I tried to fly from my new airports on the Hawaian Islands.  When I try to fly form PHLI to PHNL I am only able to fly about 20-30 miles toward PHNL before FS9 stops working.  According to my vista problem report the event name is APPCRASH and the fault module is ntdll.dll.
Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

R Jones

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: ntdll error
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:46:05 am »
Is very unlikely something like this can be caused by a scenery, ntdll.dll it's a very low level OS module, that deals with basic kernel functions, like memory allocation, task scheduling, etc. Problems in sceneries usually cause crashes in FS9 graphic modules, like G2D.DLL or G3D.DLL, rather than low-level OS modules like ntdll.dll.

It's probably something like an Out of memory, or something similar. And, fact is happened at 20-30 nm from PHNL, finally confirm it doesn't have anything to do with the scenery because, the scenery loading range for almost all objects at PHNL is set to exactly 10 nm. Outside that range, nothing is loaded.

Have you patched your FS9.EXE to allow >2GB ? (of course, it's meaningful if you *have* more than 2GB of RAM, and under XP you need to patch the boot.ini file as well)

AbqVlieger

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:45:09 am »
Thank you for the quick reply,

I do have 6 gbts of memory- however I did move my FS9 file from my C: to another larger dirive because I was running out of room on the old drive.  I just finished a flight from PHNL to PHLI with no problems!

Yes, I really did not think that it had anything to do with the scenery from FSDT, but there is so much knowledge avaiable on these forms I had to ask for help.

I will try to make sure that the greater than 2gbit patch for FS9- I am hoping it was corrupted when I changed drives.

AbqVlieger

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:05 pm »
This is the strangest problem,

I have made sure that I have the memory fix in my fs9 exe.  However I still have the problem.  I can fly into both new Hawaii airports just fine but when I try to fly out of either FS9 just stops.

I do not seem to have this problem any where else other than just the new Hawaii airports.  Of course this problem could have been there all along and I am now just noticing it because I am trying to fly out of these tow airports.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »
Of course this problem could have been there all along and I am now just noticing it because I am trying to fly out of these tow airports.

Most likely, perhaps it's a problem of the underlying terrain, are you using some addon for this area ? Have you tried disabled it ? We had users having out of memory errors at JFK, but it turned out to be a problem with an Ultimate Terrain .bgl

AbqVlieger

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »
I did think about a problem with other addons, and I did remove them ( I think).  Is there any way of checking an area to see just what "things" are running.  Yes I do have UT installed as well as FS Genesis meshes.

graemeb

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:58:38 am »
I wanted to add that I have this exact same problem. If I take off from PHLI RWY 21 and head towards Honolulu, I get a CTD after about 3 or 4 minutes with the following eventlog message:
(I am using the FS9 version on windows 7 64 bit)

Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: fs9.exe, version: 9.1.0.40901, time stamp: 0x4135a208
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b29c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002de24
Faulting process id: 0xfc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb7647970e3be5
Faulting application path: C:\MyPrograms\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: cd7490b1-e23d-11df-96d5-6cf049ed7b8e

At first I though there might be a conflict with another scenery, but I have removed any other sceneries from the area, and I get this error now with three different aircraft.
I will continue to investigate by disabling different files.
Graeme

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:18 am »
I can only confirm that ntdll.dll error can't be caused by an addon scenery, it's more likely due to an original flightsim file that has been corrupted or just an out of memory error. If you google about the error code in fs9.exe, you'll find lots of different reports, all with users suspecting a different addon.

graemeb

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 01:00:51 pm »
I have just spent a few hours troubleshooting this issue, and I can confirm that it has nothing to do with FSDT Hawaii scenery. I experienced the same problem using just the FS9 default scenery. The problem (on my system) was finally traced to the file:

FS9\scenery\world\scenery\bvcf.bgl

When this file was removed, no CTD, when it was restored, I could reproduce a CTD everytime by flying from PHLI towards PHNL, and at about 70 nm from PHNL I would experience a CTD.
Unfortunately, this is a default FS9 file, and even after restoring the original file from the CD I still had the same problem - so it is now in the too hard basket!  :(

I believe the bvcf.bgl file has something to do with ATC frequencies, but I cannot see why it has some conflict with this region of the world on my system. Any other experts may wish to advise.  ???
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:59:40 pm by graemeb »
Graeme

AbqVlieger

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 01:18:12 am »
graemeb,

Thank you for the work.  What happens with FS9 when you remove the file?  I wonder if it is something that can be removed and not missed?

Thanks again,  I was starting to think that I would not be able to enjoy the Islands.

R Jones

AbqVlieger

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 02:05:45 am »
no luck for me  ???  I removed the file to my desk top, but I still have the same problem where FS9 stops working.

BillS511

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:25:28 pm »
I too have had this problem. I have turned off all add-on sceneries and still CTD so that 's not it. Default or add-on AC still CTD.
Have any of you turned off your AI traffic? And do any of you use WOAI traffic? I got the idea from here; http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=38933&st=20 third post p.2.
I turned off AI traffic and didn't have a CTD. Then I turned it back on and removed WOAI traffic files and didn't have a CTD. Not sure yet as I haven't tested this enough to be certain if WOAI is the culprit. I hope it is, so I can get back to enjoying FSDT in Hawaii!
Aloha!

graemeb

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 12:45:08 am »
Yes - I have WoAI traffic installed, so I should look into that as well. It is possible that some faulty AI file is causing the crash. This will need further (time consuming) investigation.
Graeme

AbqVlieger

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:41:59 pm »
I still am having no luck,  I tried a flight with no AI and still have the same crash.  How was the UT problem with JFK solved?  This is strange because I have all of your FS9 airports and do not have problems with the others.

R Jones

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 02:45:58 pm »
How was the UT problem with JFK solved?

It was a problem with an UT bgl file, but it was in FSX. As I've said, there are multiple reasons why ntdll.dll could crash.

This is strange because I have all of your FS9 airports and do not have problems with the others.

That's fairly obvious: since the problem is NOT caused the sceneries, it doesn't have any relationship with having or not our sceneries, the issue is, people mistakenly associate a problem with a scenery, because they never flew in that area before adding the scenery.