Author Topic: compass problems  (Read 7421 times)

tompie

compass problems
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:52:52 pm »
Hi Virtuali, bought the Hawaii#1 today. After installation I find a deviation on my compass heading on all apts at the West USA coast, i.e. from KSAN up to CYVR and higher north. To be more specific: at KSAN at rwy 27 my compass indicates not 272 but 286 degrees.
At KSEA rwy 340 it indicates even 360 degrees instead of 341. When I unistall Hawaii#1 the problem is solved.
Didn't try how far inland this happens. I use FS9.1; no landclass installed around there.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Tompie

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: compass problems
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »
Sorry, but it doesn't happen here: I 273 deg on the compass at KSAN and 340 deg at KSEA, with the Hawaii airports installed of course, but it doesn't make any difference if they are installed or not, the heading doesn't change.

There's nothing in the scenery that could affect rwy headings or magnetic variation so far away for the airports. Well, in fact there's nothing that could affect it even close to Hawaii, since we haven't added or changed any navaids, and certainly not the magvar database.

tompie

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:19:45 am »
Hi Virtuali, thanks for the reply. I reinstalled the airports several times. I found out I had to add the airports to the scenery library everytime by hand, which should be automatically. I decided to download the .exe file again. Now it works fine. Probably I had a corrupted download file the first time.
Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.
Tompie

eparot

• Emmanuel Parot Flight Simulator Sceneries
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:04 pm »
Well, I already had this problem after installing Honolulu - PHNL (the last FSDreamTeam scenery I bought for the moment). In fact, after installing PHNL everything was fine. But after I added other sceneries (then PHNL was not anymore on the top of the scenery library) I had wrong rwy headings. And in fact, the magvar was missing (all over the world). Be careful, 'cause when you start FS the first time after a scenery installation it rebuilds the scenery database and the magvar is correct. If you stop FS then restart it, the magvar is now missing. It's a very strange behavior.

If you move back PHNL to the top of the scenery library, no more problem. Since I found that (a few weeks ago), PHNL is still on top of my scenery library... but it's a bit boring each time I add a new scenery.

I already encountered this kind of magvar problem with Saint Lucia - Hewanorra TLPL from Tropicalsim. I found that removing tlplxrwyendr.bgl file solved the problem. I contacted Leandro Machado (Tropicalsim) and they can reproduce the magvar problem too by removing the file. The tlplxrwyendr.bgl file had a wrong parameter (hand edited by the developer). But in this particular case, the fact to be on top of the scenery library doesn't change anything.

So Umberto, it's not because there's nothing visible that could affect the rwy headings or magnetic variation that it's...

Regards,
Emmanuel

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:37:58 pm by eparot »

Config: FS9.1 / Athlon 64 4000+ / Asus A8N-SLI Premium / Asus EN9800GTX+ 512 Mo / Corsair TwinX 2 Go RAM / Seagate Barracuda 200 Go SATA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 01:38:39 pm »
So Umberto, it's not because there's nothing visible that could affect the rwy headings or magnetic variation that it's...

I can only confirm that nothing at PHNL can affect the Magnetic variation.

In fact, after installing PHNL everything was fine. But after I added other sceneries (then PHNL was not anymore on the top of the scenery library) I had wrong rwy headings

That's more evidence it's not caused by PHNL.

The fact that happened with the Tropical sim scenery and it was caused by a .BGL in that scenery, doesn't mean that PHNL could cause this as well. That scenery probably added or modified some navaids, and navaids includes the magvar in their parameters so, a wrong magvar parameter in a navaid redefinition might disrupt the magvar readings in the sim.

This is not the case at PHNL, that doesn't change or add any navaids, there are no navaids anywhere in the scenery (if you open the AFCAD with an editor, it will show navaids coming from the *default* scenery).

The fact that you have to put PHNL on top every time, might simply means the problem is caused by another scenery and, by putting PHNL on top of it, the problem introduced by the other scenery is overwritten by PHNL, that is taking priority over it. In this case, PHNL it's *fixing* the issue, not causing it...

eparot

• Emmanuel Parot Flight Simulator Sceneries
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »
Umberto,

For your information, the tlplxrwyendr.bgl file from Tropicalsim doesn't include any navaids but only lights at the end of runway.
And it generates the magvar problem...

I didn't say that PHNL alone is causing a problem of magnetic variation but due to interactions with other third party add-ons, it can. Why, I didn't find yet  ???

Emmanuel

Config: FS9.1 / Athlon 64 4000+ / Asus A8N-SLI Premium / Asus EN9800GTX+ 512 Mo / Corsair TwinX 2 Go RAM / Seagate Barracuda 200 Go SATA

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:41:14 pm »
I didn't say that PHNL alone is causing a problem of magnetic variation but due to interactions with other third party add-ons, it can.

From your description of the problem, it seem that it fixes it when you put PHNL on top, because it's probably taking precedence to the one that is causing it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:43:15 pm by virtuali »

gregmorin

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:27:24 pm »
It may be that your magdec.bgl has become corrupted or is being interfered with by an afcad. I had the same issue last year. You get true heading readings instead of magnetic heading readings. I found the fix on the avsim forums. Cut the magdec.bgl from your scenery/base/scenery folder. Create a new folder named magdec. Create a scenry folder inside the magdec folder. Paste the magdec.bgl into this folder. Add the magdec folder to your addon folder and activate the usual way with scenery library. It must be on top of your scenery list to overide what ever was interfering with ii.

If this does not work try copying a new magdec.bgl from your disk 3 msgame9.cab scenery/base/scenery.

Hope this helps, it cured my issue. It was very annoying to shot an ILS with the true heading indicated.

Greg