Author Topic: Lihue texture problem !!  (Read 16620 times)

Ben F.

Re: Lihue texture problem !!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 03:23:03 am »
Having the same problem with the runway disappearing in front of you on landing.

Kelleymoe

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 04:13:47 am »
I'm having the same problems when I land on Rwy 35.  The runway disappears and the asphalt turns to ground.  I did notice the bump when I taxied onto Rwy 35.  I'm also having flickering issues with PHNL when I land and exit the runway.  I wonder if the problems are related?  I'm referring to a potential texture design problem and not PHNL caused the problem at PHLI.  What's interesting, out of the three Hawaii airports, Hilo is the only one that works fine.  They all look great, but just don't try and land at PHNL/PHLI.

Mike Franks

rduda

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 08:13:21 am »
Hi Mike,

to answer your question for PHNL and to give some more information about the work in the background the fs-engine produces...

The fs-engine loads (of course) all needed bgls into the memory it has to - depending on the entries from scenery.cfg exactly in the order you could manipulate. Very early the standard-fs-directories are loaded and in these directories are for example the standard flattenings FL* and the standard airport AP* files. Mostly last but not least the "newer" addon scenery-bgls.

Very interesting is:
If you start at an airport, fly around in this fs-cell and land again, all bgls from this airport are loaded last and - more important - they are used correctly. It will lead to no problem, you would be able to place lwm-files for flattening under the standard-airport-altitude. And you could put the complete airport (in the afcad file) on a deeper or higher level as the standard-airport-altitude. All this works and - if in the betatests there were no flights from another destination - this looks all correct.

But the problem begins if you come from another fs-cell, another airport, which is a little bit far away. So that the fs-engine has to load this cell-bgls while flying around. In this case the engine use the method "the first found entry counts". Sadly the first entry is the first airport entry the engine gets. Mostly the standard-entries in the ap-files are the first files. This is the reason why if s.o. have to change the airport altitude to a deeper altitude the designers put altitude-correction-files in the standard-directorys (like world/scenery - it's written "earlier" than the standard AP-files). Or manipulate the standard AP-files (like jabbgl).

Of course you get problems (like in this case) when the AP-files altitude wouldn't be at the same altitude than the airport itself.
In the AFCAD file Fabrizio used the same altitude like standard. So no problem here. But the airport flattening is made nowadays with a lwm-flatten. Sadly the engine isn't able to use an exact definition like 13.36 ft. No, it uses the code from my last statement one page earlier with the fragments for meters and x/128... This leads to many mistakes - not only here...

When approaching from another destination: AP-files found, airport altitude is set.
And now the lwm-flattening (which is deeper I said in my last statemant) puts the flattening "underneath" the AP-files-altitude -> this leads to such a problem like described. I'm sure Fabrizio put the photo bitmap exactly 0ft above his lwm-flattening. Correct Fabrizio?

So there are many reasons if a customer has problems only while landing at an airport, not when starting.
Maybe you (Mike) have changed the standard-ap-altitude in the standard file (from another older addon) or somewhere in your sceneries is another AFCAD with a deeper altitude. I have no problems in PHNL, so there are no faults from standard fs to fsdreamteam-addon without the older influence from another PHNL-Addon.

BTW: this fact often is the reason for sunken wheels or floating aircrafts a view feet above the ground. Only to add this... (not the fact here)

Sorry if I have made errors in writing in english. ;)

Ciao,
Rainer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:33:30 am by rduda »
German Airports-, Sim-Wings- and AES-Betateam (and others...)

debutant

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 11:54:21 am »
hello to everyone for my part I can not follow your explanation! I still have a problem and nobody can fix it, I'm disappointed :-[

good day all
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:56:36 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 11:57:13 am »
There's obviously no reason to post the same screenshot twice. The problem will be fixed with an update, we are working on it.

Kelleymoe

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 02:43:16 am »
Thank you Rainer for the very detailed explanation.  I'm sure the patch will fix the problem with Lihue.

To make sure I didn't change any settings, or have an interfering scenery, I got a new hard drive and installed FS2004.  I then added PHNL.  I went to PHNL, took off in the default cessena, flew around and landed.  When I land I have the flickering problem and the disappearing runway markings as I exit.  Once I get past the exit ramp, everything is fine again.  If I taxi back to the runway, the problem comes back.  The only change I made was to the cfg and I added TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21.  Everything else is default and default scenery.  I wonder if my PHNL download is bad and during installation it's not adding a file I need or something got corrupted?  I guess I'll download a fresh copy and see.

The problem I'm having at Lihue is the same as everyone else's.

Mike Franks

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 03:51:01 am »
There's obviously no reason to post the same screenshot twice. The problem will be fixed with an update, we are working on it.

Thanks Virtuali.

Sylle

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 09:02:33 pm »
Thanks Rainer for clarifying the technical stuff!

I'm holding off my purchase until the fixed version is out... but I'm already looking forward to do some island hopping in Hawaii!!  :)

Cheers,
Sylvain

Corsair 600T - Intel i7 2600k - Asus Geforce GTX570 - 4 x 4Gb Corsair DDR3 Ram - Asus P8P67 revB3 - Windows 7 SP1 - FSX
AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 - MSI Geforce 7600GT - 2 x 1Gb OCz DDR Ram - MSI K8N NEO4 FI - Windows XP SP3 - FS2004

United_fan

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:26 am »
I too had r/w 35 disappear as I was rolling down it. Also,there are no approached to choose when pressing 'PROC' om the GPS. Have to get close and intercept the gs/localizer.