Author Topic: Carrier IFLOLS Distance Display  (Read 5058 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Carrier IFLOLS Distance Display
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:51:32 am »
Fellas...

I've been having trouble with this lately, but does anybody know how to INCREASE the distance you can see the IFLOLS lights? At least out to 1.5 NM.

Right now, I can't see the IFLOLS lights at "the 90" (about 1.3 NM) and become visible at 1.1 NM. This problem ONLY happens with carrier IFLOLS and NOT with shore based PAPI lights. Doesnt make sense to me, but thats just what I've encountered.

Here are two pics, to illustrate what I'm talking about....

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:54:21 am by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
Re: Carrier IFLOLS Distance Display
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:39 am »
Sludge,
As far as I know (and understand), the FLOLS model in FSX uses so called separation planes. These planes determine the visibility (i.e. distances and angles of view) of lights, attached to a 3D model. These limits are then hardcoded during model's compilation and can't be changed during simulation in any way.

Just to show... Here's a small part of Gmax ASM code I used to set the visibility distance for my Mk14 IFLOLS model (featured in my FCLP Missions pack 2):

; Alpha
IFLOLS_Mk14_Alpha label BGLCODE
BGL_ZBIAS 1
;; This controls the visibility range, in meters
;; this visibility is roughly two miles
IFIN1 beyond_range, 033Bh, 0, 3700

You can see that I limit the visibility of my IFLOLS to 2 NM.
The fact that you can't see FSX FLOLS lights beyond 1.1 NM means that the FLOLS's author has limited its visibility to these 1.1 NM... And nothing you can do about it...  :(
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

mjrhealth

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:31 am »
If you have the french carrier from RFN you will notice the last fix they did extended the light viewing distance. It may be worthwhile emailing them for help.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:33 pm »
Yes, I have noticed that  :) But for his FLOLS Sylvain used his own technique, not based on FSX lights. That's why he's able to change the visibility distance for his OLS gauges. FSX carriers, including Javier's, use FSX FLOLS, which is a part of FSX and couldn't be tweaked.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »
Serge...

Thanks for the disappointing but straightforward update. Really bums... oh well.

Later
Sludge