Author Topic: Out of Memory/Terrain.dll CTD  (Read 6516 times)

toaster4

Out of Memory/Terrain.dll CTD
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:49:56 pm »
Looking for some ideas.

After installing DFW I have experienced a 3 oom and 1 terrain.dll CTDs. After the first crash I have flown similar routes, PANC-KMEM/KSDF with same aircraft, after each attempt at troubleshooting the problem.

I have done the following:
   Checked the scenery.cfg file, manually and using SCM2004- I checked to make sure the numbering coincided with the layers.

Removed the only afcad file I have installed in the FS9/addon scenery folder within 500nm of CTD location- ORD AFCAD update
            The OOM crashes were near MCI and ENL VORs. They are both within 500nm of ORD and DFW

The terrain.dll crash was on downwind at MEM

I have also done 1 test cycle on MemTest86+ with no errors.

I have uninstalled DFW and am flying PANC-KSDF which will put me in the same general area. I will update the post with the results of this flight.

Running FS9.1, UT, Flight Environment, Ground Environment, FS Genesis Mesh, Active Sky 6.5

Machine is E8500, EVGA 8800GTS 512, 4GB 1066mHz
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:53:38 pm by toaster4 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Out of Memory/Terrain.dll CTD
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:59 pm »
Terrain.dll crashes are never related to AFCADs. The most usual cause of those problems, are Vector data type sceneries, Landclass sceneries or Mesh sceneries.

toaster4

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:22 pm »
So if you had to start somewhere for troubleshooting, you would start with terrain mesh?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »
So if you had to start somewhere for troubleshooting, you would start with terrain mesh?

Well, yes, because the mesh it's probably the easiest to disable, but I think the Vector sceneries (like Ultimate Terrain) are the most likely candidates for issues, if only because they are way more complex in structure than a mesh, which is a fairly simple array of data.

toaster4

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:40:35 am »
Had another crash... sooner than the previous 4. Starting to question the hardware. Going to run MemTest and see if it gets any errors. I'll post what I find. Thanks for the support Umberto.