Author Topic: Progessive Taxi Lines and Taxiway / Runway signs  (Read 10874 times)

patborman

Progessive Taxi Lines and Taxiway / Runway signs
« on: August 19, 2010, 07:02:18 am »
It's come time for me to ask this question:

Why I'm I unable to see the progessive taxi line and taxiway/runway signs in V.C. mode? I can see them in the outside mode. I have the latest download from FSDreamteam!

I have all secenery settings within FSX set to the far right. I've played with each setting, but get the same results. My display setting is set to 1024 X 768 X 32.

I don't have any addon sceneries installed except those from FSDreamteam.

I have the latest display drivers from Nvidia installed.

Does anybody have any idea's?

Thanks

I'm running:

Windows XP
AMD 64 X 2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.10 HGz
3.25 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTS graphic card with 1 GB Ram

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Progessive Taxi Lines and Taxiway / Runway signs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:18:33 am »
First, are you using the current 1.0.5 version ?

There was already a discussion about this, it's probably related to the zoom setting you are using, which is too wide. The 1.0.5 version should allow you to use a wider zoom setting, because we changed the LOD settings that affected the ground lines and the taxiway signs.

patborman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:57:04 pm »
Yes, I'm running verision 1.0.5 and it does not matter what my zoom setting is, I get the same effect. I've read the forum concerning this topic. A few times last night I was able to see the progessive taxi line but it went away quickly. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »
The progressive line is one thing, the taxiway/runway signs are a different thing.

Only the taxiways signs/ground lines were dependent on the zoom setting, and should be visible farther away and usable with almost all zoom levels with the 1.0.5 update.

The progressive taxi line is not fixable, it appears in some areas, but can't be made visible at all places, due to the 3d nature of the airport (elevated taxiways, etc.) and the interaction with the fsx round earth model.

patborman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30:25 am »
Okay, I understand about the progessive taxi lines, but what about the taxiway/runway signs. Must have either one to taxi around the airport. I did a fresh download and install, but still no signs!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:49:03 am »
Okay, I understand about the progessive taxi lines, but what about the taxiway/runway signs.

They work correctly. They alwasy worked correctly, even before the update. The only different the update made, is they are now visible even at wider zoom rates.

Are you using the suggested setting ot 10m/pixel Mesh Resolution with Mesh Complexity at 100 ?

Is there a specific place were you don't see the taxiway signs, or you don't seem them at all, across the whole airport ?

patborman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:57:29 pm »
I don't see the taxiway/runway signs at all. The Mesh Resolution is set to 10m/pixel and the Mesh  Complexity at 100.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »
Sorry, nobody has ever reported this problem. They work just fine here.

Those we reported it, were only complaining about the visual *range* of the signs, which resulted in disappearing lines at wide zoom levels only, but everybody had the taxilines at zoom levels of 0.80 and above. The 1.0.5 just increased the loading range so, the lines appears at zoom levels of 0.30-0.40 and above.

If you don't have any taxilines at all, at any zoom level and regardless of the mesh setting, than it's not a problem of the scenery, but it's most likely another scenery in conflict.

If it's another AFCAD, probably coming with an AI traffic package, you can use the free FSX Airport Scanner available here, to look for duplicate AFCADs for KDFW.

http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/ (click the "Download Center" link )

patborman

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:34:16 am »
Umberto,

After investigating the problem, I've discovered that increasing the zoom rate causes the runway/taxiway signs to disappear. Decrease the zoom rate and the signs appear. Is their a fix for this, or is the scenery designed to act like this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:50 am »
After investigating the problem, I've discovered that increasing the zoom rate causes the runway/taxiway signs to disappear. Decrease the zoom rate and the signs appear. Is their a fix for this, or is the scenery designed to act like this.

If by "increasing" you mean make it wider to see more scenery (going, for example, from 1.0 to 0.40) then yes, this might happen but, we the 1.0.5 it shouldn't happen anymore, perhaps only in a very few spots.

If, instead, by "increasing" you mean increasing the zoom to see less scenery and going closer, it's shouldn't simply happen.

patborman

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:22:09 am »
Yes, by increasing (going from 1.0 to 0.40) I lose the taxiway / runway signs. Decreasing from 0.40 to 1.0 the signs appear. As I mentioned earlier, I have verision 1.0.5 installed. Any ideas what the cause is, or is this the way the scenery should perform.

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »
Any ideas what the cause is, or is this the way the scenery should perform.

No, it shouldn't simply happen. It doesn't happen here and, in the worse case, it should happen backwards. Do you see the same effect in all areas of the scenery, or you simply noted it at a particular spot ?

patborman

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 07:22:01 am »
If I have the zoom set to 1.0 everything is okay, if its set to 0.40 no signs at all, over the entire airport.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »
If I have the zoom set to 1.0 everything is okay, if its set to 0.40 no signs at all, over the entire airport.

Sorry, I haven't read your previous message, it's just that I found your definition of "increasing" unusual: to me, increasing the zoom level, means going from 0.40 to 1.0, not the opposite.

If this is the case, it's just normal, because when LOD is used, objects disappear at wider zoom settings. Sorry, it can't be changed without bringing the fps to down, the 1.0.5 update already increased a lot the available zoom settings.

patborman

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:35 am »
Umberto,

Thanks for your help! A few things to get use to, but another great scenery.