Author Topic: Jetway Issue  (Read 5847 times)

cka411

Jetway Issue
« on: August 12, 2010, 01:15:55 am »
Reading through the forum, I haven't seen this issue posted yet, but if it has I do apologize.

Fantastic product once again, love giving the American MD80 some more fun!

Anyway, the black rubber portion of the jetway that forms the seal between metal and aircraft seems to disappear on me on all the jetways, depending on the way I view it.

You can see as I pan around the left side is not visible, then it start to become visible, when I can finally see all of it, the right side disappears.

Any thoughts?

Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 First Officer

Dimon

Re: Jetway Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:20:06 am »
I have to wait for AES.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:21:15 am »
It's the LOD optimization, most likely. Objects are drawn in different level of complexity, depending on viewing distance, to save fps.

Try to change both the viewing angle and the zoom setting: if it improves by increasing the zoom setting, than it was the LOD in action, and if this is the case, it's all normal, the scenery is made like this (it takes way more work to do it this way), to optimize performances.

christiaan

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »
Like the previous member I also saw this issue, also the wheels & the front of the jetway aircraft connection bridge has this issue until I zoom in very close, is this something which  cannot be altered by increasing a setting?

I have downloaded three images to show what I mean.

I know you have strongly penalized this scenery to improve FSX but I think the FS9 customers would have liked a little more action at DFW, I have many other airport add-ons like Aerosoft & Imagine and never had this issue with jetways.

I know that LOD can affect certain parts of a scenery in a distance but with DFW I am nearly parked before the jetways are normal.

Also I have most of your sceneries, and have found them extremely good, this one is a very disappointing as because of the static sky-train etc it misses that "dynamic" feeling if you know what I mean.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:07:14 pm by henry »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
Like the previous member I also saw this issue, also the wheels & the front of the jetway aircraft connection bridge has this issue until I zoom in very close, is this something which  cannot be altered by increasing a setting?

That's LOD optimization, your view was fairly distant.

It's not a setting you could change yourself, because it would require the jetway object to be recompiled so, we need to make a choice that could be good for everyone, since it can't be changed dynamically, like being tied to a complexity slider.

The issue is: we have about 300 jetways so, if you make a change that will affect the impact on one, it will affect many of them at the same time so, we need to be careful with jetways, specifically at *this* airport.

I know you have strongly penalized this scenery to improve FSX but I think the FS9 customers would have liked a little more action at DFW,

We haven't "penalized" anything in FS9. We just made the FS9 version just like any other scenery we did so far, but used a completely new method in FSX, which is not possible in FS9 so, there wasn't any other way to do KDFW in FS9 other than this.

The issue is, for THIS particular airport, which is so big, the FSX method (which, as I've said, can't be done in FS9 in any way) result in much better performances, up to the point that the FSX version runs about the same fps than the FS9 one, although it has LOTS more stuff to display.

Which means, there wasn't that much room to spare in FS9 for fps optimization so, it's exactly the opposite: we had to try our best to mantain a reasonable frame rate in FS9, because we couldn't use our new technique as in FSX, because it requires some FSX specific code.

I know that LOD can affect certain parts of a scenery in a distance but with DFW I am nearly parked before the jetways are normal.

It's not your parking position that affects LOD, it's your *eyepoint* position AND your zoom level. If you zoom closer, the highest LOD will enter.