Author Topic: KDFW Installation  (Read 12477 times)

pcubine

KDFW Installation
« on: August 07, 2010, 09:54:06 am »
I have downloaded and installed as adminstrator kdfw_fsx_setup.exe. The installation ran to completion with no error messages. When I started FSX the only message I received was about building the scenery library. KDFW is #1 on the list of scenery followed by KJFK, KORD, KBOS. etc. I received no messages about trusting anything. Additionally, in Addons KDFW is not listed. The last airport listed is PHNL. When I set the a/c up at KDFW there is no scenery. any ideas?

Thank you
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KDFW Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:02:34 am »
Additionally, in Addons KDFW is not listed. The last airport listed is PHNL.

You mean you don't have Dallas in the list of available sceneries from FSDT in the Addon Manager ? If yes, that's why it doesn't work.

If you are sure you haven't seen any error messages during the installation, which means the installation hasn't completed, the only possible reason of this, is that something (most likely the antivirus) has blocked the installation of the current Addon Manager, so you are still on the previous version you had, which doesn't "know" about KDFW.

In this case, try to reinstall the scenery with the antivirus turned OFF then, BEFORE launching FSX, configure it to ignore the following files:

- YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
- YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe

pcubine

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:10:26 am »
The antivirus was disabled both times I installed KDFW. What should be comfigured to ignore the two files losted?

Thank you
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:21 am »
What should be comfigured to ignore the two files losted?

That's depend how your antivirus works, just refer to its docs.

Note that, there are a few antivirus products (probably McAfee standard version) that don't allow the user to configure the exclusions. In this case, I strongly recommend to switch to a different product, like the free Microsoft Security Essentials, for example, which works fine with our products without any configuration, and doesn't impact on system performance much.

pcubine

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:44 am »
I use Norton Internet Security which I have disabled during the installation of KDFW. I really don't understand what you are talking about disabling  2 file in NIS or FSX. I tried the disabling in FSX and there was no Addon Manager.

Thank you
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:06:14 pm »
I use Norton Internet Security which I have disabled during the installation of KDFW. I really don't understand what you are talking about disabling  2 file in NIS or FSX.

Disabling the antivirus only at install time, doesn't entirely fix the issue, because if you don't exclude the file from scanning when running FSX, it will block the file anyway (unless you leave the antivirus entirely off, which might not be a good idea).

Sorry, but I don't know your product so, I can't tell you exactly how to exclude files from scanning, you need to refer to your antivirus docs.

Report back if the problem persists, only if you are sure you succesfully excluded the above files from scanning.

pcubine

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:39:18 pm »
I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and installed MS Security Essentials. It makes no difference. Same problem as described above. No KDFW scenery. KDFW is not in addon manager. No "I Trust" boxes.

When I uninstalled KDFW scenery the last 2 questions I have been asked is - - (1) Do I want to uninstall Addon Manager. Addon programs will not work. (2) Do you want to uninstall couatl.exe.  I have answered NO to both questions on the four previous uninstalls. Is that correct?
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 03:45:03 pm »
No "I Trust" boxes.

Ok, try a different way:

Open this file with Notepad or any other pure text editor:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG

Under the [Trusted] section, search for ALL lines that have a reference to bglmanx.dll OR Couatl.exe (together with lots of random characters), and remove the whole line. If there are multiple lines containing either names, remove them all, save the file and exit.

Now, REBOOT Windows (this might be important so, please do it)

Try reinstalling the scenery again, and note if you are getting the Trust question for both. Of course, you need to reply yes to both questions.

pcubine

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »
I deleted two lines out of FSX.CFG with bglmanx.dll and Couatl.exe in them. Restarted the computer. Downloaded setup.exe again. Installed as adminstrator. Restarted the computer. Started MS-FSX. Got a message that the scenery library was being updated. Two questions appeared about running and trusting Addon Manager and the same two questions about Coulatl. I answered run and yes. Still no scenery at KDFW and Addon Manager only lists the PHNL.

Thank you
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »
I answered run and yes. Still no scenery at KDFW and Addon Manager only lists the PHNL.

Ok, so the Addon Manager is now working. But the fact you don't see Dallas in the list of available scenery, means you are not using the current version of it.

So, we are back to the beginning, if you haven't see any error message during installation, if you are still with the old version, the only possible explanation is that your antivirus has blocked the file from being updated.

Try this, download all these files manually, and copy them in the FSX root folder. This is exactly what the installer does.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/setup/bglmanx/bglmanx.dll
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/setup/bglmanx/bglmanx.dat
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/setup/bglmanx/bglmanx_fsdt.dat
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/setup/bglmanx/bglmanx_aerosoft.dat
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/download/setup/bglmanx/bglmanx_qwings.dat

pcubine

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »
I am currently running a flight from Amsterdam to Chicago in full screen mode. It will be early tommorrow morning before I can do the download.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:39 pm »
Norton has caused another problem in it is reporting the setup.exe download carries the WS.Reputation.1 and auto removes the file from the download in both FS9 and FSX. This is not saying the file has a virus embedded in it. At present this has two ways to work around this and one cure - turn off Norton during the download (not going to happen!) or replace the virus program with another (not for this single problem), with the cure being that the following action be taken by the FSDT team:

The Norton part that tripped this removal is a reputation-based system that uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

The system considers many aspects of a file, including file age, file download source, digital signature, and file prevalence. These attributes are combined using a proprietary algorithm to determine a file’s safety reputation. The system maintains a rating for all files rather than just malicious files. Each software file is given a GOOD, BAD or SUSPICIOUS rating.

White-listing action:
Software developers who want to accelerate the reputation building process for their new software applications should submit new applications to the Symantec white-listing program. Details of that program can be found here.

Disputes action:
If you believe that a program has been incorrectly classified by the Symantec reputation-based security system, then you may submit a dispute using this Web form (a click link here).

I had downloaded the KJFK setup.exe just before the KDFW and the download and installation went without a problem to include opening it in both OS's.

Many of us that would like to purchase KDFW will run into this problem being Norton has a large install base. Hope this download block can be addressed.

Regards,

Russell Tucker
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »
Many of us that would like to purchase KDFW will run into this problem being Norton has a large install base. Hope this download block can be addressed.

That's not very practical: there are countless of antivirus products and, if we had to contact EACH one, asking them to whitelist a file, EVERY TIME we release a new version of the .DLL (which we do every 1-2 weeks or so, sometimes even more frequently), we would have to spend our time chasing antivirus products, instead developing sceneries, without mentioning the fact that, by the time we are inserted in a whitelist, we might already released a new version, so the cycles restarts without end.

Flight1 has similar issues with antivirus products:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=24061

We agree with their suggestion: the best solution is to use an antivirus that allows the user to fully control what to trust or not, and exclude files or folders from scanning, and if it doesn't allows this, it's better to switch to a different one that does.

pcubine

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:51 am »
After downloading and copying and pasting the 5 files into FSX root directory, the KDFW scenery comes up and the addon managers has KDFW in it so I was able to pay the $33.00. If I have any problems on the upcoming flight I will let you know. If you don't hear from me everything is probably ok. Thanks for your promptness and help.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine