Author Topic: FSX flickering textures all over the scenery...  (Read 29708 times)

petsumnets

FSX flickering textures all over the scenery...
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »
Hi all,

The whole scenery is covered with a flickering texture. What can that be?

Greetings.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX flickering textures all over the scenery...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »
If you are sure it's not another scenery in conflict, are you maybe using Adaptive Antialiasing (on ATI) or Transparent Antialiasing (on nVidia ?). These options don't work with this scenery, and it's also mentioned in the manual.

Also, you have to set your Mesh complexity at 10 m/pixels minimum, and this is also mentioned in the manual.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:17:46 pm by virtuali »

petsumnets

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »
I only have set the antialising option within FSX itself.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:15 pm »
What about the mesh complexity density ?

peacedivision

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:39:21 pm »
I am having similar(?) issues, runway and taxiway textures are constantly flickering in and out or going away all together.  Not running any AAA and mesh is set at 10m.
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/404/texturesh.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4822/texturesd.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:42:00 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:45:37 pm »
That's surely a video driver setting problem: it might not be the Adaptive Antialiasing (this was only the one we were able to constantly replicate), but also something else. What graphic card are you using ? Adaptive Antialiasing it's only on ATI cards.

Are you using some video tweaker, like nHancer ? Can you try reverting all your video driver options to default, then turn on any customization, one by one, to see which one is affecting it ?

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »
You guys by any chance have Rhett Browing's freeware KDFW Terminal D scenery installed  or any other KDFW ADE's/AFCAD's?

peacedivision

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:48:50 pm »
Video card is ATI 5870HD, running the latest Catalyst 10.7 drivers, no third party tweaking software. AA set to 2x. AAA is disabled. AF set to application controlled, mipmaps at highest quality.

No third party KDFW afcads or scenery.

peacedivision

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:26 pm »
Very strange, went back into CCC, enabled AAA, then turned it off again, restarted FSX and now it seems to be fine.   ??? 

Either way, I am now seeing the runways and taxiways as intended I believe, lots of bump map effects, ect.

B777ER

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:19:41 am »
What??? You cant use AA with this scenery? Is this a joke? Everything else in FSX needs AA, why do this so now we need to turn AA off and on to fly into DFW? ridiculous
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:26:01 am by B777ER »
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:54 am »
What??? You cant use AA with this scenery? Is this a joke?

You missed an "A". It's NOT AA (Antialiasing), it's AAA, which is an special feature available only on ATI cards, which means Adaptive Antialiasing, but it's not required at all having it enabled, in order to have AA, it's an independent setting and, apparently, there's a bug in one of the FSX Shaders which is not compatible with this setting. Or, there's a bug in the ATI driver, which doesn't like the FSX Shaders. Of course, since nobody used this kind of method in FSX before today, it never surfaced it so far.

In any case, AAA is not really a critical feature. I agree AA is, but the scenery doesn't have any problem with it.

B777ER

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 01:31:09 am »
Roger that. Thanks
Eric

w6kd

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 05:31:56 pm »
I'm using a 480GTX with 16xS AA and 2X transparency AA on, and see no flicker at all anywhere in the scenery.  8X transparency AA produces a terrific shimmer-free picture, but the load on the GPU causes the plane to "stick" and surge when moving.  I'm also using Jesus "Bojote" Altuve's shader 3.0 mod, which may also be a factor in why there's no flickering.

BTW, I saw no mention of this issue in the manual.

Regards

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)
ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V
Colorado Springs, CO

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 11:47:02 pm »
I'm using a 480GTX with 16xS AA and 2X transparency AA on, and see no flicker at all anywhere in the scenery.

This might be a case where the nVidia driver performs better than the ATI one. In theory, Adaptive Antialiasing on the ATI should be the same thing as Transparency Antialiasing on the nVidia but, it seems the bug of disappearing textures if AAA is on, affect on the ATI cards.

BTW, I saw no mention of this issue in the manual.

Because we forgot to include the very latest version of the PDF in the installer. If you look at the sticky thread posted here, you can download the missing pages, which contains the gates map and the design notes, which discussed this.

Brian S

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:50 am »
A better question is are you running in DX10 mode and getting the flickering on the runways?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:01:02 am by sssummer »