Author Topic: Help: FSX Crashing after Download  (Read 5691 times)

Jay1059

Help: FSX Crashing after Download
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »
I downloaded the new DFW scenery and cannot get my FSX to work now. I have tried reinstalling it to no avail. Since other's seem to be working, it must be my config with the new scenery. It worked fine before. Please help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help: FSX Crashing after Download
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
When you say "cannot get my FSX to work now", are you seeing some kind of error (if yes, which one ?) , or the sim just quits ?

When you say "other's seem to be working", are you refering to other FSDT sceneries, or other sceneries in general ?

In any case, if the sim just quits, the most likely cause, is that your antivirus has blocked the upgrade to the Addon Manager that happens during the installation so, you might be stuck with the previous version you had before KDFW but, in this case, you install is not correct, and will result in a quit without any messages.

The solution is usually as follows:

- Uninstall the scenery. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall the scenery with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered plugins" menu under the "Addons" menu.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:10:48 pm by virtuali »

Jay1059

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:34:05 am »
Still no go. I had to delete and reinstall FSX completely because I couldn't run it after I removed the DFW scenery. I followed your instructions exactly and it crashed again. It says "FSX has stoppeed working and will now restart" but it stops the entire program and exits out. I am running a Dell Intel(R) CoreTM 2 CPU  6400 @2.13GHz 2.00GB Ram Windows Vista 32bit system Radeon X1300 Video Card.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:10:11 am »
Still no go. I had to delete and reinstall FSX completely because I couldn't run it after I removed the DFW scenery.

If you removed KDFW, and replied YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?", it would have removed every trace of what it *might* have caused the crash. The whole point of that question, is exactly to allow you to clean it up, without having you reinstalling FSX. Besides, manually removing bglmanx.dll from the root folder, would have had the same effect.

You should probably have asked here, before losing so much time reinstalling FSX.

I followed your instructions exactly and it crashed again. It says "FSX has stoppeed working and will now restart" but it stops the entire program and exits out. I am running a Dell Intel(R) CoreTM 2 CPU  6400 @2.13GHz 2.00GB Ram Windows Vista 32bit system Radeon X1300 Video Card.

There's shouldn't be any problem. Are you perhaps running FSX in "XP Compatibility mode" ? If yes, turn if off, because that's not how FSX is installed by default, and it's not the corrrect way to run it, and it causes issue with our products.

Jay1059

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »
That is it! I was in XP Compaiability Mode. Thank you for all of your help. I live in the Dallas area and fly out of DFW often and I must tell you that you guys did a fantastic job here. This is the most realisitic representation I have seen yet. You guys should get an award for this for your hard work!